Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Booya View Post
    Wow, I'm jealous. I got the old model last year, and it was good down to 22 with a fleece liner in it. But, I would way rather have the new one, and not need the fleece liner. I wish I could trade mine! Is it just me, or does the new one look wider too?

i'm jealous as well. yes it looks wider to me too

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Images
    I have the old long model and mine is 21.6oz for those who wanted real weights.

Sorry guys/or galls I was at work (40 hrs straight) and I can't get on the forum at work. To be honest I was not that mad that there were low chambers because of the company's guarantee with 100% satisfaction on their products I was upset a little, there was no sense in getting mad yet since I had not had an answer from them, once I contacted them and found that they were very nice and very willing to help and fix the problem that my worries went away, aside from the fact of their policy. I will say that I was very happy with the first TQ from them other than the low chambers and if there weren't any I definitely would have kept it. Have not used it in the field yet so once I do I will post a field report for you all!

Quote Originally Posted by jbo_c View Post
    What are the length and width on those, please? Looked last night and couldn't find them. (I'm surfing via phone.)

Thanks.

Jbo
    The measurements are: Length- 66in, Width- at the top edge- 36in, middle- 47in, footbox- 18in. Hope this helps, and like I said sorry for the late reply!

Cranky Bear

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    how much heavier is it than the old one?
    Without the stuff sack is 24oz.

Cranky Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    The new 3 season 20F GoLite Quilts are 25 oz for a Regular size with 11.8 oz of down fill.
    The 1 season 40F Quilt is 20 oz with 7.8 oz of down.

I guess they finally decided to be honest about the temperature ratings.

They also have synthetic quilts, the RS-1 1-season 40F one is only 23 oz. The 3 season version is just too heavy.
    Coldspring,
    Yes that is correct the listed weight of the new 3 season TQ from Golite is 25oz, which I suspect is very accurate since mine weighs 24oz without the supplied stuffsack and with it it weighs 25.1oz, I don't think the temperature rating that they provided with the Ultra 20 or their other products was dishonest because there are a lot of people that have gotten it to the listed temp and a good amount on this very forum have had or currently have it and get it to low temps with some getting it to the 20* temp with very little extra, I think it was optimistic and I guess their quality control is severely lacking due to there are alot that got good ones, and alot that got bad ones. But correct me if I am wrong there is no real temperature rating scale for down products like there is for synthetics, until recently from what I read a couple weeks ago that there is a European testing machine that uses like 20 or so thermal cameras and provides the most accurate rating available(from what I read) and one of the new companies to utilize this new rating process is REI and one other that I cant seem to remember at the moment (I'm really tired from work). I think what most manufactures (mostly cottage industry) were adding overstuff to their products to assist in reaching the listed temp for that given product, all the while using the age old information that x amount of loft will go to x degree, which is very much subjective due to not everyone is the same and not everyone will be able to tolerate the same temp in the same product, but with utilizing this new machine they can very honestly say this product is able to go to x-temp, which will not likely still work for everyone. What I do think happened was they got enough complaints about this problem and decided that if they wanted to continue selling products they needed to make a change, and they did, cause word of mouth goes a long way especially with the internet and forums like this one, the people on these forums are passionate about what they do and their gear and I feel lucky that they post that information because there are so, so many here that know a lot more than I do and that info helps me to make a better informed decision because they are testing this gear out in the field and give a honest report. Only time will tell if Golite got it right this time? I'm in no way getting on you, not at all. Just friendly conversation

Cranky Bear
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 02-21-2010 at 09:14.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Just a heads up, the other company besides REI is Marmot that uses the EN 13537 testing method for sleeping bag ratings. I've found it to be spot on. Thats one reason I use a Marmot bag. But I've got an interest in the newer version of the Golite quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    Just a heads up, the other company besides REI is Marmot that uses the EN 13537 testing method for sleeping bag ratings. I've found it to be spot on. Thats one reason I use a Marmot bag. But I've got an interest in the newer version of the Golite quilts.
    Carolinahammockhanger; Thank you I couldn't remember who the other company was, do you know how long Marmot has been utilizing this testing process? I ask because I am curious that if this testing is so much better how come other manufacturers are not willing the invest in this as I would think that it would be a better selling point for the company and its products. What temp rating is your bag and what are the lows that you have gotten it to, if you don't mind me asking, also are you a cold sleeper or warm?

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Not sure how long marmot has been using this, REI guy says 2 years+, and it causes more weight per same degree bag which is why not all companies choose to use it. I got a ecopro 40(which I love) synthestic. I know downs benefits but stuff happens and I camp in the south where high moisture levels are the norm. I've used this bag down to 36 degrees (using instant read meat therometer) wearing patagonia capleine 3. I was fine, though I wouldn't wanna go much lower. This was on the ground in my tent. In my hammock using a thermarrest ridgerest the lowest I've been is 44. But I was fine. The golite quilt would cut a whole pound off my pack, which is why I'm interested especially since of them using more fill for the same degree rating. I'd say I'm a slightly cold sleeper. I've never used down, and some say my concerns aren't valid. A huge golite sale might make me get over those concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    Not sure how long marmot has been using this, REI guy says 2 years+, and it causes more weight per same degree bag which is why not all companies choose to use it. I got a ecopro 40(which I love) synthestic. I know downs benefits but stuff happens and I camp in the south where high moisture levels are the norm. I've used this bag down to 36 degrees (using instant read meat therometer) wearing patagonia capleine 3. I was fine, though I wouldn't wanna go much lower. This was on the ground in my tent. In my hammock using a thermarrest ridgerest the lowest I've been is 44. But I was fine. The golite quilt would cut a whole pound off my pack, which is why I'm interested especially since of them using more fill for the same degree rating. I'd say I'm a slightly cold sleeper. I've never used down, and some say my concerns aren't valid. A huge golite sale might make me get over those concerns.
    Thanks for the info, well I guess the added weight is needed to get the bags to the proposed temp, though I'm still confused as to why they would not see that as a positive investment for improved products.As per the Golite products I don't think you will see the new quilts go on sale anytime soon (I could always be wrong) because they just came out with them, I am sure that given some time they will have a sale, but from what I hear they did that big end of 09' sale with the intent to get rid of current stock to make room for the new products that they are producing, with the first being the new line of quilts. Thanks again for the info!

Cranky Bear

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Thanks to this thread I've checked out the new Golite RS1 40 deg quilt from golite. WOW! Only 3 ounces heavier than the down 40 degree quilt but pretty much HALF THE PRICE! I like the added protection of synthetic in the south's humid, rainy summers too! Come on REI dividend or birthday! Golite RS1 40 it is for me!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast