Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)

Wrestling with down

I just gave my 3 season JRB that's been my top quilt for a year and a half going on two a wash - good grief.

Why am I so paranoid about getting this stuff wet? it's easier to wash the cat! I picked up some ReviveX and used about half what it says to use on a sleeping bag.

It's a little bit scary to push a big full baffle you think is full of migrating air and find out it's water. Took me a long while of wrestling it around to get it wet, and then rinsed, and then squeezed until the water wasn't running out of it. Then a few spins in the washer got the rest of the water weight out and things improved - didn't feel like I was carrying a wet seal any more.

It's been tumbling in the dryer for two hours now - 15 minutes of very low heat, 30 minutes of no heat, 30 minutes more of no heat, 15 minutes of very low.... with breaks for clump busting. Almost back to full loft but I can tell there's still some wet in there.

Down is truly amazing stuff, seems to hold many times its weight in water and when wet goes down to something the size of a baseball, yet it fills that whole baffle when dry.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    It will be fluffier then ever when you are done. i just got done with my Marmot Helium and it is a brand new bag.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I was going to do the one I use as an underquilt, but am debating that now - it's always been the underquilt and only used once or twice as a top, so may just postpone that another year. It's been my comparison for the other one - it looks like it hasn't lost any loft at all.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    They say you should throw a couple of clean tennis balls in the dryer to fluff it up.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    They say that, but it wasn't even necessary. I was such an attentive laundress that I would only let it go half an hour at most between checks. I hardly had to do any unclumping at all - shook it out, turned it around, felt down the baffles, pushed the down around some, put it back in for another tumble.

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    When my Uncle passed away, I claimed his down sleeping bag. It must have been 30 years old. I remember using it as a kid for my boy Scout camping trips. any way I don't think it has ever been washed, So I washed it it in a traditional washer /dryer. Talk about a wet mop. I think it took 2 or 3 yours to dry. It never got that clean and still stunk like camp fire.
    Now fast forward, My wife and recently purchased one of those fancy washer/ dryer combos. Uses less water and energy,Must spin 300 MPH, Eco friendly and crap like that. Anyway , I thought I would try it one more time with just Tide soap. Worked WONDERFULLY. Soft, smells nice and very clean. would do it again.
    Lori, send me a PM I'll give you My Phone and address, You can come over and use it if you want. Least I can do for a fellow Fresno Hanger. Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    russmay, i used TIED and worked wonderful
    never use reg detergent on down, it coats the down and will not work as efficiently. imho
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    In these new washers you have to use special soap because it spins so fast it foams up. So I used this special tide but I rinsed twice before I threw it in the dryer. I probably would use ReviveX but at a diluted rate.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

• + New Posts