Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Golite 3 Season TQ

Well I just received my replacement TQ from Golite. I had the Ultra 20 from them and I found that there were some chambers (about 3) that were low so I contacted them and they were very nice and instructed me where to find the return form on their site with a note stating what was wrong and what I would like to have done. Well I put in that I would very much like to have down added to the low chambers and that if they could not, or were unable to do this if they could replace it. Well after about two weeks went by I called them to find out that they just got it in the return department and I should be hearing something in a week or so (now mind you that the weather turned to s__t with all the snow) that was about 4 days ago that I emailed them, and then tonight wallah UPS showed up and handed me a big grey bag. When I opened up the package I found that they just exchanged mine for one of the new ones, they are now called Ultralite 3-Season Quilts instead of the Ultra 20 and they made some different changes to the material, the top part by your head and the foot box is the Pertex Eco Arid and is a little stiffer than the previous models material, but what I was very pleased about was when I felt the chambers this time, they all had down, and immediately it started to loft up to about 3 inches which was really nice considering that my Ultra 20 took almost an hour to loft up to 2 inches the weight without the stuff sack is 24 ounces. I took some pictures but was unable to let it sit for a while to see how lofty it would get cause my dog was being a butthead and trying to lay on it and play with me, hope to do that soon, and also as a strange note when I went to put it into the stuff sack to weight it it barely fit in and when I had the Ultra 20 that thing went in with room too spare. Well, now the only thing I am waiting on is my Crowsnest and once that arrives I am going for a hang in the snow! I know that it doesn't compare to the Burrow or Mamba, but I got it at a REAL good price when they had their big sale and since I am on a tight budget it fit the bill for now, hopefully one day I will be the proud owner of a Burrow or Mamba. So if anyone else has the new Golite TQ please share your thoughts as I would love to hear them about it!

Cranky Bear
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Lots of people got the Golite quilt last year when it went on sale at a really great price. A guy I know used it on his AT thru-hike and I got to see it up close and personal. I thought it was nice. I like the improvements shown in your pictures. Thanks for the update!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Images
    how much heavier is it than the old one?

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    The older model is listed as

Weight: Short 1lb 1.7 oz, Reg 1lb 3.3 oz, Long 1lb 5.5 oz(Includes stuff sack)
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i got a short ultra 20 on sale. someone here actually recommended here it was on sale so i bit. it says 16 oz. but i haven't weighed it. i wouldn't say it is 3 inches of loft but it kept me quite warm at 29 deg. i think it would have no trouble at 20 deg. a little more down would be nice but i like it and it is more of my 3 season TQ than for dead of winter.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    The new 3 season 20F GoLite Quilts are 25 oz for a Regular size with 11.8 oz of down fill.
    The 1 season 40F Quilt is 20 oz with 7.8 oz of down.

I guess they finally decided to be honest about the temperature ratings.

They also have synthetic quilts, the RS-1 1-season 40F one is only 23 oz. The 3 season version is just too heavy.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i got one of the ones from last year's sale. i used it a lot this summer and was extremely pleased. it packed small, lofted up well enough, and i didn't really notice any large areas without down as some people reported. cool to hear that you got top notch CS.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl / Eno dbl
    Tarp
    Blackcat w/door
    Insulation
    crowsnest / yeti
    Images
    Wow, I'm jealous. I got the old model last year, and it was good down to 22 with a fleece liner in it. But, I would way rather have the new one, and not need the fleece liner. I wish I could trade mine! Is it just me, or does the new one look wider too?
    Everybody wang chung tonight!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    What are the length and width on those, please? Looked last night and couldn't find them. (I'm surfing via phone.)

Thanks.

Jbo

Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    I guess they finally decided to be honest about the temperature ratings.
    I dont know about that.

I have a golite ultra 20 and slept in 14dF temps in heavy johns, socks and a down hat.

I would say it has a farily honest rating, but that is so subjective, pads, hot/cold sleepers, hammock, ground etc etc.

Also with a quilt you can pump cold air in everytime you move, so its not quite like a sleeping bag rating.

One side of loft is supposed to be 2.5" and when I received mine I was doubtfull, but it does loft up to 2.5" barely. I would actually like to have a couple of ounces of overfill but the way its constructed, thats impossible.

I would imagine the reason they changed their lineup was due to customer complaints and QC issues.

At any rate there are a lot of people that are satisfied with the older ultra 20and glad they held on to them.

If I got an underfilled quilt I would be mad, but luckily I got a good one.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast