Wanted: Opinions - Apply within

Hello everyone,

So after a 6-7 hiatus from the outdoors scene (three kids) I am finally back! I return with a 5yo that loves the outdoors and a wife/set of twins that do not, but may. Right now I am a ground dweller as my son sometimes needs attention through the night, but will likely end up back in a hammock. I'm gearing back up now and decided to make a set of TQ's for my son and I. My wife is very good at sewing, but I am not and I will never be. Let me say that again, zero sewing ability from this guy. So I started going through the DIY forums and looking at various things and crap, it is a lot.

I wanted to see what some of your opinions are on TQ's that will also be used on the ground. I don't plan to remake these guys over and over, three children tear my wallet up pretty quickly, Haha. I can tell you I'm 6'2", 275lb and wear a size 16 shoe. So right off the bat a sewn foot box is OUT. I was thinking of a zipper, but saw that some people like snaps. I think I would do fine with either of these options. Is there anything special that I might want to do for a TQ that would be used both in a hammock and on the ground? I picked up 10yds of 1.6 HyperD and 5yds of climashield 3.6 from RSBTR, so I should have plenty of material to work with. I live in Louisiana and sleep fairly hot, so I felt this would be the best for middle of the road comfort.

So yeah, any insight that I can gleam from the community would be great for our TQ's. Thanks in advance!

ETA: Sewing tips! I'll take them.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ShareTheToys View Post
    Hello everyone,

So after a 6-7 hiatus from the outdoors scene (three kids) I am finally back! I return with a 5yo that loves the outdoors and a wife/set of twins that do not, but may. Right now I am a ground dweller as my son sometimes needs attention through the night, but will likely end up back in a hammock. I'm gearing back up now and decided to make a set of TQ's for my son and I. My wife is very good at sewing, but I am not and I will never be. Let me say that again, zero sewing ability from this guy. So I started going through the DIY forums and looking at various things and crap, it is a lot.

I wanted to see what some of your opinions are on TQ's that will also be used on the ground. I don't plan to remake these guys over and over, three children tear my wallet up pretty quickly, Haha. I can tell you I'm 6'2", 275lb and wear a size 16 shoe. So right off the bat a sewn foot box is OUT. I was thinking of a zipper, but saw that some people like snaps. I think I would do fine with either of these options. Is there anything special that I might want to do for a TQ that would be used both in a hammock and on the ground? I picked up 10yds of 1.6 HyperD and 5yds of climashield 3.6 from RSBTR, so I should have plenty of material to work with. I live in Louisiana and sleep fairly hot, so I felt this would be the best for middle of the road comfort.

So yeah, any insight that I can gleam from the community would be great for our TQ's. Thanks in advance!

ETA: Sewing tips! I'll take them.
    Started out thinking the Gemini might work well for you, buy you've already got climashield. I know kitsapcowboy has done some DIY climashield TQ/UQ projects (I actually have a set, slept under the 3.6 TQ Sunday night) - you might search because he often posts some very useful write-ups on his experiments.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Not that it won't work, but probably most people would opt for a lighter fabric to make topquilts out of. You may want to take that 1.6 hyperD and make a couple of hammocks out of it (this is my favorite hammock fabric). At 275 you may be pushing the comfort limit of a single layer 1.6, so they could be for other family members or you could do a double layer hammock with two 1.6 layers.

Glad you are getting back to the outdoors!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I'm on my phone so I can't provide a link. But look back at my post history and I have a few step by step posts on making a tq. Also I agree with what has been said in hyperD1.6 might be a bit heavy for tq material.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Images
    If we’re only talking about top quilts, KAM snapping a Costco blanket is extremely easy, cheap, and gives good results. You don’t have to sew and you get the option of putting the quilt back into rectangular blanket mode by unsnapping it. The downside is that it has max 70” length.

Any top quilt should work on the ground just as well as a hammock. I use mine both ways.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I think 3.6 oz Climashield should be about what you need for most (if not all) of the year where you live, but I agree with the comments of others that a lighter shell fabric would be preferable to the 1.6 oz HyperD you have -- although it will work in a pinch (I've used 1.5 Epsilon on many quilts to date). I'm your height and prefer wide quilts, so for dual-use quilts I'd go full-width and no paper for both comfort and practicality You can make a 3.6 oz synthetic quilt as a relatively simple DIY build with no special features.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Stripes-quot-)

Red -- Outer shell
    Orange -- Inner shell
    Blue -- Insulation (Both shells get folded to this size as described above)
    Black -- Grosgrain
    Purple -- Finished dimensions (TQ is stitched along this path)
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My brother is about your build and was looking at the possibility of a move that might mean no more trees. When we did his top quilt we did a basic square like Kitsap above recommends with 3.6 apex for the insulation and generic 1.2 ripstop on the shell. Big enough to easily use on the ground, easy shape to sew and not too much of a weight penalty as a simple square for a dual use piece of gear. If you're talking about car camping and feel safer on the heavier fabric with kids I wouldn't sweat it and use the 1.6 you bought. Even if you were hiking it in and had a 4' x 8' quilt the difference in shell weight on a 1.6 vs a 1.2 shell is only about 3 ounces gained.

Bump! So, I still have the materials sitting in my closet. Anyone out there with the skills to turn it into something? I'd be happy to pay for your time. ��

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If we’re only talking about top quilts, KAM snapping a Costco blanket is extremely easy, cheap, and gives good results. You don’t have to sew and you get the option of putting the quilt back into rectangular blanket mode by unsnapping it. The downside is that it has max 70” length.

Any top quilt should work on the ground just as well as a hammock. I use mine both ways.

This has to be one of the coolest DIY projects for someone on a budget that needs to outfit several children.
    Thank you leiavoia for the suggestion and the video.
    It is posts like yours that make Hammock Forums a great DIY place to visit.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If you decide to go commercial, Hammock Gear has a Wide option for the TQ selection. It’s purpose was to give a little more tuck-in-ability when using a TQ on the ground. Perhaps you can get the dimensions from them for the length you’d select, then fold a normal blanket to those dimension. That way you can see/feel the coverage and decide if it is worth the cost.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts