Still browsing
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Mac-Gear 35 Degree Underquilt

First of all this company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you ask them about a product prior to purchasing it they will email you back almost immediately. If you pay for something and ask about the status you have to send 10 emails and then make a post directly to their Facebook page to get a response (I think comments from the public are now blocked on their page now).

On to the product. I bought the 35 degree down top and Underquilt. I got them because of the price. I had a few trips coming up and I'm on a budget. After paying for them, hearing nothing, sending 10-15 emails and messages I finally received what I thought I paid for in the mail. The construction is pretty good. They are light. The suspension is different than other underquilts and may be the prouducts downfall. Instead of a draw string on the ends of the underquilt there is just stretchy material to hopefully keep it tight against your hammock. I have taken these out twice now and was freezing both times! The first time was 40 degrees and my back was cold. I could feel every breeze and thought it might be a migrating the down problem. The next time was this last weekend in the Red River Gorge. It was 35 degrees at night and it is easily the coldest I have ever been! My back was freezing, my legs were freezing. There was no amount of adjusting I could do to get comfortable. It sucked...

I noticed on the tags of both the under and top quilts that they say they are actually 40 degree quilts. They honestly aren't even warm enough for that. I have tried to contact Mac-Gear again from the website itself and their different email addresses listed on the website and they have chose to ignore me. My suggestion, save up and get something better. There is a reason these quilts are so cheap. I made my own from the Costco blankets and the ones I made are warmer and more adjustable. I am going to save up and get something better too and any suggestions would be great.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallen2303 View Post
    First of all this company has the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. If you ask them about a product prior to purchasing it they will email you back almost immediately. If you pay for something and ask about the status you have to send 10 emails and then make a post directly to their Facebook page to get a response (I think comments from the public are now blocked on their page now).

On to the product. I bought the 35 degree down top and Underquilt. I got them because of the price. I had a few trips coming up and I'm on a budget. After paying for them, hearing nothing, sending 10-15 emails and messages I finally received what I thought I paid for in the mail. The construction is pretty good. They are light. The suspension is different than other underquilts and may be the prouducts downfall. Instead of a draw string on the ends of the underquilt there is just stretchy material to hopefully keep it tight against your hammock. I have taken these out twice now and was freezing both times! The first time was 40 degrees and my back was cold. I could feel every breeze and thought it might be a migrating the down problem. The next time was this last weekend in the Red River Gorge. It was 35 degrees at night and it is easily the coldest I have ever been! My back was freezing, my legs were freezing. There was no amount of adjusting I could do to get comfortable. It sucked...

I noticed on the tags of both the under and top quilts that they say they are actually 40 degree quilts. They honestly aren't even warm enough for that. I have tried to contact Mac-Gear again from the website itself and their different email addresses listed on the website and they have chose to ignore me. My suggestion, save up and get something better. There is a reason these quilts are so cheap. I made my own from the Costco blankets and the ones I made are warmer and more adjustable. I am going to save up and get something better too and any suggestions would be great.
    Is this gear from Molly Mac Gear? I did not even realize they made down quilts. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I guess it goes without sying that you had the wind well blocked? I'm asking because you said "I could feel every breeze"?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    That is NOT Molly Mac Gear. Different company! I recently ordered from Molly Mac and MacEntyre has been pretty good with communication.

I think he's talking about https://mac-gear.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fsupaintball View Post
    That is NOT Molly Mac Gear. Different company! I recently ordered from Molly Mac and MacEntyre has been pretty good with communication.

I think he's talking about https://mac-gear.com/
    Thank you! I thought it must not be, as I had never read a complaint against them or their gear before. And I have some of it myself, and have found it to be good gear. Also, I thought down quilts were not likely from MMG.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    I've looked at these quilts on eBay, they're modified Costco down models, the 35 is a sewn through with the seams ripped to make vertical baffles and some overstuff. I feel like the 35 rating is a Goldilocks rating that depends on user experience to reach. A common suggestion is to treat all gear with a temp buffer. I feel this is a case of what you see is what you get. Poor customer service is a bummer but this is a one man eBay vendor not a small company.

https://mac-gear.com/product/mac-gear-35f-under-quilt/

Looking at the pictures it shows 3 tie outs to throw over the ridgeline

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Suspension
    Myerstech dyneema
    Yeah, I have a feeling these are the modified Costco quilts that I publicly questioned on Facebook about their temp ratings and got barked at :-)

Who has the last... bark... now!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Yeah, lots of typos and spelling errors on the website. I personally would avoid a company like that.

Hammock
    Still browsing
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Is this gear from Molly Mac Gear? I did not even realize they made down quilts. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I guess it goes without sying that you had the wind well blocked? I'm asking because you said "I could feel every breeze"?
    It wasn't Molly Mac Gear, it was mac-gear.com. I could feel every breeze when I was testing it. Over the weekend in the Gorge there was no wind at night and I had a winter tarp. It was miserable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallen2303 View Post
    It wasn't Molly Mac Gear, it was mac-gear.com. I could feel every breeze when I was testing it. Over the weekend in the Gorge there was no wind at night and I had a winter tarp. It was miserable.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me!

• + New Posts