Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Summer UQ Less Finicky Than Winter UQ?

I got myself a 0 degree UQ this past year and had it out for about 8 nights with temps getting down to about -10C. I found that I had some issues dialing in the UQ and that any little pocket of air would result in a very noticeable cold spot. I'm now in the market for a 40 degree UQ for summer here in Ontario and I'm wondering if it's less important to have your UQ dialed in SO perfectly when the weather is warm? I'm assuming that is the case and that if there are gaps, etc then it won't be nearly as big an issue as the temps aren't anywhere near winter temps. Am I correct in this thinking? My thought is to get a 40 Degree UQ and pretty much vent it right open and have it fairly loose (temps in the summer here usually hover around 65-75 at night)...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The principles remain the same whether it's a summer or winter UQ. My personal philosophy is to get an experienced hanger to snug up my UQ for me - that way I know it's set and don't start playing mind games with myself.

By the way, I have never vented my 40* UQ, even in overnight temps up to 75* F. I vent with the TQ.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I would say you are correct. While both need to be set up properly for 100% comfort, I think we can all agree that the stakes are much higher at 5° opposed to 55°.

If you get the slightest draft at 5°, you'll feel it, and you may not fall asleep until it's fixed. If you get a cool spot at 55°, you may not even care. The warmest I've been out was near 90° and sunny, so you can bet when the lows were in the mid-60s, I wanted all the cooling I could get. I literally clipped on the UQ and didn't even look at the suspension until the next morning. Everything was sloppy and loose, but it didn't matter. That was with a 30° custom UQ. The 40° you mention will be great in the summer, and possibly beyond.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    The main reason I'm thinking this way is that I find I'm able to get a more relaxed diagonal lay in my 0 degree when I loosen it up. With the corners and shock cord relaxed a bit I find it doesn't try to push me more into the center lay position (but then with the winter UQ the cold spots sneak in).. I'm hoping with the summer UQ I can leave it fairly loose so that I can get that nice diagonal lay.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I actually think the greater loft of a 0° UQ is slightly more forgiving than a thinner 40°. The extra fluff is tolerant of some slight misadjustment. But - once the cold gets in at -15° F, you do feel it immediately.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Might be because the winter quilt does weigh a bit more. I find that I have to have the quilt suspension a bit tighter on the heavier UQ to hold it up better, and I tighten the secondary suspension more than I do on the lighter quilts.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I've got a 'shortie-forty' (EE Revolt) and find it isn't critical to have it juuuuust right until it gets below 50°F or so.

Above that, as long as it's in the ballpark I'm good. One time it got down to 32°F and I barely noticed it, so it must have been adjusted perfectly then.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    I will say anytime I am in that 10*f buffer zone (ie 20-30* with a 20* UQ) with my UQ's, set up is critical to get the max warmth.
    Now your new 40* paired with your 0* will help a lot in them cold situations by moving the buffer a little deeper into the chill

Don't push any Quilt and know the buffer that you need to be perfectly toasty cause it can be consuming trying to get everything just perfect all the time.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts