Got me a Bear Butt

I bought a Bear Butt double.

I doubt it's going to fit me and I suspect it will end up being for the kids or wife but it's a start.

I've wanted to get into doing motorcycle camping for a while. I know I can spend descent money for a lighter weight tent setup, but the tent is still going to be larger than a hammock. I figured with the hammock I would have an easier time packing it in a saddle bag.

I've been looking for a hammock to start out in, and been finding some cheapo amazon deals but none of them were over 10'. The only one I found that said it was 11, everyone thought it would probably be shorter anyway because they were counting parts they shouldn't. So I figured if I'm going to get a 10' hammock anyway, I might as well get me a 10' hammock from a more reputable company. Then I'll see where I should be and go from there. Then 12' hammocks, here I come.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant81 View Post
    I bought a Bear Butt double.

I doubt it's going to fit me and I suspect it will end up being for the kids or wife but it's a start.

I've wanted to get into doing motorcycle camping for a while. I know I can spend descent money for a lighter weight tent setup, but the tent is still going to be larger than a hammock. I figured with the hammock I would have an easier time packing it in a saddle bag.

I've been looking for a hammock to start out in, and been finding some cheapo amazon deals but none of them were over 10'. The only one I found that said it was 11, everyone thought it would probably be shorter anyway because they were counting parts they shouldn't. So I figured if I'm going to get a 10' hammock anyway, I might as well get me a 10' hammock from a more reputable company. Then I'll see where I should be and go from there. Then 12' hammocks, here I come.
    Hi Giant. The most popular/universal hammock is the single layer 11'x60" It will work with most folks.
    Select the fabric to support your weight. When in dought go to the next thicker material. Amazon is not your friend when it comes to a proper camping hammock.
    hth

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL Summer/ Winter
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    I really suggest going to the For Sale section right here on this forum. Currently there are two 10' Warbonnet traveller hammocks for $45 and $65 for a complete rig and a Wilderness Logics 11' Night Owl for $80 for a complete rig. Please stop buying chinesium garbage and get a great priced piece of American Made cottage gear. I could never buy any piece of gear on a whim with the attitude of "I doubt it's going to fit me", sorry but that just irked me. Buy once, cry once and never look back.
    Formerly McBlaster
    The Tent is a Lie

I think maybe I came off wrong. Let's be honest here, nothing is going to fit me, and I don't plan to put out for a custom rig until I have some more experience with hanging.

The bear butt double and strap system is just that, my entry into something I want to explore without breaking the bank on a better setup until I know I want further into the hobby. The advantage is also, if/when I move on to something better, we can still use it as a spare rig or at the house around the yard to lounge in.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant81 View Post
    I think maybe I came off wrong. Let's be honest here, nothing is going to fit me, and I don't plan to put out for a custom rig until I have some more experience with hanging.

The bear butt double and strap system is just that, my entry into something I want to explore without breaking the bank on a better setup until I know I want further into the hobby. The advantage is also, if/when I move on to something better, we can still use it as a spare rig or at the house around the yard to lounge in.
    You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a comfortable setup that will fit you. The Warbonnet Traveler XL is only around $65, and it includes a complete suspension, and is an 11' hammock. I recommend listening to the folks around here. They have a lot of knowledge, and give good advice. The FS section is a great place to get a good deal on awesome gear.

My two cents, if you want to explore something to see if you'll like it, give yourself the best chance possible to like it, within your budget.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! I started with what I thought was a great priced ENO DN. Turns out for the same money (or less) I could have went cottage to start with! HYOH they say, so best of luck! Enjoy!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum for North Carolina. I to started with an amazon hammock. I can not blame you. I just did not want to spend a lot of money to try to out and find out it wasn't for me. The only advice I can give is, that I have found out, that with those hammocks it is harder to get comfortable for one reason or neither (normally lack of craftsmanship or none use of proper materials used). Try to out and if you are having an issue on comfort give it to the kids and borrow or buy a hammock from any of the companies that make hammocks there business.

I recently had Marty at Wilderness Logics custom make me a hammock, top quilt and under quilt. He listened to me and how a laid in the hammock took my weight and height in concentration and I ordered a Wilderness Logics Lite Owl. If you contact any of these guys there will help you determine which is right for you.
    Good luck reach out if I can help in anyway. HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Welcome to the Forums. It seems from your post that you're also looking to cut down on some bulk. I've found, that if you're willing to spend the cash, you can get your hammock setup weight down to match almost any UL setup. I've yet to be able to match the lack of bulk. Unless you use an inflatable sleeping pad instead of an UQ. But to most, the preferred method for bottom insulation is an UQ.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts