Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Thumbs up ** video review** Chill Gorilla 12' hex tarp ~ IMPRESSED

https://youtu.be/pNLb-lj84j8

I'm super impressed with the quality of this tarp, and at only $39.99 with prime shipping it doesn't get much better. I did replace the stock guy line with zing-it and added line loc 3's to the 4 corner beasties d's via a small reflective shock cord loop. This tarp is 142" at the RL , 108" wide and weighs 1.4 lbs and comes with 6,/10' guy lines w/ tensioners and 4 high quality aluminium stakes. Overall this is a great tarp and is exactly what I was looking for, and the quality is as good as my WL Old Man Winter surprisingly. So if your looking for a summer tarp and are on a budget, skip the cheap tarps on Amazon and go with this one.

IMG_20180507_185541_hdr.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Well, we'll see if this tarp is as tough as it is pretty.... I left it up after shooting the video review with the intent of going back out to hang my XLC and testing it out tonight but my little one had other plans and I was to!d I had to sleep inside tonight lol. I just went out a few mins ago to check it and found 15-20 mph gusts blowing in off the water with one of my lines whipping in the wind. Apparently I didn't have the stake in far enough and it got pulled out , which turned the zing it into a dancing yellow birds nest lol. After picking out all the knots and re setting the stakes and the tarp in nice and tight I came back in and figured if it can't handle this than I don't want it. So well see if it can hold up tonight, my money says it does.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Wow Great Video Thanks For Sharing
    Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you. - Frank Lloyd Wright

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I don't think a stake getting pulled out by the wind should suggest a deficiency in the tarp.

Heavy tarps ain't my cuppa joe but I can see how they are useful for car camping when you want to avoid putting unnecessary wear and tear on the 'good' stuff.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting that it was, quite the opposite actually. The tarp did great in the wind and I even more satisfied with it now that I know it will hold up when it matters most. Some, er, MOST times, you do indeed get what you pay for and inexpensive gear is often cheap as well. That's not the case with Chill Gorilla, they really seem to be one of the few exceptions to that rule, along with Snugpak and the like, that have some very decent and we'll made gear at a super low price when compared to cottage made gear. Now, that doesn't mean that you'll get the same quality as cottage stuff because there's a clear divide between them , however as time goes on I'm seeing that line blur more and more. If this tarp didn't have the giant Chill Gorilla logo on each side, I bet most people, even ones on here, couldn't tell the difference.... It's really made that well. Now maybe there could be double stitching in places where there's only single, and a cottage vendor would do certain things differently, but in general it's an exceptionally well made piece of gear. The best part is , it only costs $40! For a new hanger or someone who just doesn't need a cottage made tarp for whatever reason, it's an amazing deal. So for only $40 with prime shipping, you get a 12' Hex tarp that is **** near bulletproof and will last for years if you take care of it? Sign me up.

Hammock
    11' netless Dutchware
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin/Costco
    Suspension
    Poly Straps OnRope
    Thank you for this video review. It helped to answer some questions I had.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' (Hexon Wide 1.6)
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CDT Underquilt
    Suspension
    Web/Marlin Spike
    Thanks for sharing... been looking at their Fortress for a bit more rain protection (doors)

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    So well see if it can hold up tonight, my money says it does.
    So how did it hold up in the storm and have you used for a camping trip yet?

Anyone else have one?

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by proepro View Post
    So how did it hold up in the storm and have you used for a camping trip yet?

Anyone else have one?
    It has done great so far. I've used it at home in a few pretty heavy rains w/o any leaks from the RL that came sealed. I've also taken it on 2 camping trips as well with no problems at all. 2 days ago I had it up at home and late in the afternoon the wind picked up and was blowing in off the water around 15-20 mph at times. The tarp took it like a champ and I haven't seen any damage to the seams or where the corner loops are sewn. It's construction is what surprised me the most I think, no loose threads, crooked stitches or short cuts taken when it was put together. As far as I can tell it's every bit as nice as my Old Man Winter. Now obviously there are some differences in material and such, but it's definitely not like most tarps you'd find on Amazon for $30 that's for sure. If it didn't have the big Chill Gorilla logo on each side, it could pass as an economy tarp made by a cottage vendor I bet. I also just put on a split ridgeline and the Chill Gorilla snake skins, which are just as nice. So yeah, I'd say it's done a great job so far and I have no worries at all when it rains it I'm under it. The 12' RL gives me plenty of room to hang my XLC, and in porch mode I have plenty of room under it to do whatever.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

• + New Posts