WB Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    Superfly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Learned a knot: the Kalmyk loop

I've been experimenting to try to find a knot to suit a specific purpose: a fixed-length loop (like a bowline), which you can tie around a fixed post/object and that unties easily by pulling a free end of the rope. This could be used to suspend a Hennessy hammock's stock suspension from two trees, as an example, as long as you have straps or blocks to protect your trees. That's not what I had in mind, but that's why it might be relevant here.

I started with a simple slip knot in the middle of the rope, then looped the working end around the post, tucked a bight of it through the the slip knot loop, and cinched down the slip knot. That one I came up with on my own... it's so simple, though, I'm sure it's been thought of by lots of people before me. It works. The loop stays fixed and doesn't slip. The only trouble is, it really takes some effort to tug loose, since the rope is doubled back on itself, and you're trying to pull the whole mess through a tight slip knot.

Today, someone at work brought me the Kalmyk loop:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IP-Tes95l5I

This one really fits the bill, and it's pretty simple to tie. The hardest part is dressing it. It's pretty messy until it's tightened down. And you have to be sure the "tail" is on the correct side of the loop if you expect it all to come free with a tug.

I saw this knot mentioned in other threads, but it doesn't have its own. Does anyone use this, or maybe a better alternative?
    Charlie: "They said you was hung!""
    Bart: "...and they was right."

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    I like this but I know and use the bowline (w/slipped tail) all the time. (For tarp RL, however, not suspension.)
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. — Me

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    Superfly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The slipped bowline is probably equally easy to tie and definitely holds a good fixed loop. But even with the slippery tail, it ends up as a loop around the standing section of the rope that, if you're not careful, can become a half hitch at your post/tree as you pull that standing section away. So it doesn't really meet the criteria I set out.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    The slipped bowline is probably equally easy to tie and definitely holds a good fixed loop. But even with the slippery tail, it ends up as a loop around the standing section of the rope that, if you're not careful, can become a half hitch at your post/tree as you pull that standing section away. So it doesn't really meet the criteria I set out.
    Kalmyk loop is a heckofa knot. Fast tie (once learned) and fast untie (as long as it doesn’t jam)

I would not suspend my hammock with a fixed loop, because I’d be skeeerd, suspension might slide down tree, UNLESS——-suspension goes around tree twice——
    Another way—if suspension is long enough, it can go around tree twice. This will squeeze tree and prevent sliding down. Sliding down can damage tree bark and can damage strap. Now how you gonna tie it? Try this—-a knot you already know, ties fast, holds fast, and best of all does not jam and unties real fast—-modified marlin spike hitch
    The only modifications are MSH is tied with two parallel lines and a Strong Smooth toggle. I would not use a twig.
    Sorry I did not use photos, word pictures will have to do4now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phantom Grappler; 05-09-2018 at 07:07.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    If suspension can go around tree twice, Kalmyk loop might be the bomb.
    YMMV HYOH

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    I watched YouTube videos of a Russian guy tying Kalmyk loop, he was speaking Russian, what do ya know, I don’t hear well anyway. I kept replaying him tying Kalmyk loop and it was too fast to wrap my one cylinder brain around.
    He could tie it in less than a second. And untie just as fast. Probably no more jammy than most other knots.
    Did you get a mental picture of how you can tie a modified marlin spike hitch as your fixed loop after two wraps around tree? Or no?
    Sometimes I can tie Kalmyk loop in 4 or 5 seconds and sometimes not at all—-maybe if I spoke Russian like in the video....

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TqUq and pad
    Suspension
    PhantomGrappler
    I think Kalmyk loop is one of many versions of bowline or Eskimo bowline

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    Superfly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I would not suspend my hammock with a fixed loop, because I’d be skeeerd, suspension might slide down tree, UNLESS——-suspension goes around tree twice...
    I haven't tried it around a tree yet, but I think the Kalmyk loop could be dressed in such a way as to have the knot pretty durned close to the tree. Certainly not tight, but close enough not to slip? Maybe.

I watched YouTube videos of a Russian guy tying Kalmyk loop... it was too fast to wrap my one cylinder brain around.
    This gave me a chuckle.

Did you get a mental picture of how you can tie a modified marlin spike hitch as your fixed loop after two wraps around tree? Or no?
    I think so. Toggle on standing end, by the hammock... and then a MSH on the working end around the toggle? That's kind of what I was describing in the second paragraph of the OP, only without a toggle... depending only on a bight of the rope to keep your butt off the ground.

I think Kalmyk loop is one of many versions of bowline or Eskimo bowline
    Yeah, it's also called an Eskimo Bowline on the vid above.

No way I can tie this in one second. I can get all of the strands in the right place quickly, but the "looseness" of the knot takes me another 5-10 just to tighten up. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. In the sense that I arrive at the same place, but it takes me ten times as long as a Russian to get there...

Hammock
    DIY 12ft 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Asym
    Images
    This is great. I haven't used too many bowlines since they can be difficult to remove with smaller line that has been loaded down. I found that if you run the slip tail through the slip loop afterwards you get a little more security about some kid coming by and yanking it it loose.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    MW Monster
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies
    Like this one, I'll have to practice. Thanks
    I would rather be in the woods... my dog would rather be in the pool. My wife thinks we are both nuts.