WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Two things I tell new folks going with me. Not really female specific.

You may not sleep through the night the first time and that is ok. Your brain (sometimes) is more awake as it gets used to being in a hammock. The positive trade off is you shouldn’t be sore the next day and the sleep you do get is more restful.
    Second, if you have a problem while sleeping (too cold; calf ridge; need to pee; etc) get up and take care of it or wake me up and I’ll help. I once had a newbie wake up and tell me she froze even though the gear could have handled 20-30* cooler temps. She had mistakenly stored a hoodie between the UQ and hammock, pulling the UQ away from her all night. Easy fix and she was warm and toasty after that.
    Good luck and hope all goes well for all of you.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    Best hammock item my husband got for me was my DW bugnet. Game changer for VT mosquitos, black flys, etc... , and a down beanie for sleeping. At this point, when we car camp, my husband and now teenage son, sleep in a two person tent, and I get a snore free, odor free, restful nights sleep in my hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I agree with most all the above suggestions.
    Practice at home, being able to EXIT the hammock with a full bladder is not fun. Calling for help is a trip ruiner (spelling?).

Bright flashlight might be helpful. Easy exit is my BIG issue.

If you are in a public place try to be near a civilized loo.

1. Keep the warm Nalgene trick in mind.
    2. I would use a full-length UQ, at least initially.
    3. I get a lot of peace of mind from being able to see someone else - so double porch mode? Plus, you can catch a great sunrise that way!
    4. I think Karla said she worried about something going under the hammock and so likes a full bugnet - I more or less agree, I think the Fronkey goes pretty low.
    5. Do a test hang with an integrated and non-integrated bugnet. I like that I can rest my head on the side of a non-integrated hammock, plus I get better visibility. (see #3 and 4 above!)
    6. If hiking, do you have a bra plan? I hang mine on my Ridgeline to at least air out each night, inside the bugnet. It doesn't normally dry though, so maybe there's a better way.
    7. Hair in a hammock can be annoying. I usually wear a hat or buff as a long headband to keep the hair out of my face at night.
    8. I don't know if periods are an issue, but you might need extra TP, or soap, or water, or whatever...

I think that's about it...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Most women may need more insulation unless you are The Terminator. My wife is like a blast furnace and needs less insulation than me.

Better to overdo the insulation until you find out what her comfort level is. Also have her take a couple of Benadryl before bed time.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Thank you everyone for the tips, I let my wife read through them all and she said it was a big help. When we got to the camp my daughter's troop assigned Adirondack shelters that have screen on the open side and 2 bunk beds for the girls. I set my rig up in the woods next to it and then hung my wife's hammock inside diagonally across from one corner to another. For insulation,she used my 10°F synthetic OneTigris UQ with her brand new 40° +1oz Burrow zip. Friday night got down to about 49° with some pretty heavy wind and she said she stayed plenty warm other than when the UQ slid under her leaving her lower legs a little cold. I was using my XLC, 12' Chill Gorilla hex tarp and Snugpak UQ + 40° Burrow zip and slept great. Saturday evening it started to thunderstorm pretty hard and even though everything under my tarp was bone dry, my TQ was damp and the down was very lumpy. Her Burrow wasn't as damp and clumpy as mine , but it was noticeable. Both of our UQ's were fine with no loss of loft like the TQ's. So to make sure she would be warm enough I put my poly sleeping bag liner inside her Burrow, let her use my UQP and re-rigged her UQ to make sure it stayed in place. This seemed to do the trick and even though it stormed pretty bad all night with heavy wind sometimes blowing a little rain and mist through the screen and into the shelter, she stayed warm and slept great all night as did my daughter and the other girl and her mom that slept in the shelter with them. By morning, my Burrow was all but flat and had a funky odor from so much moisture in the air the past 48hrs but the tarp did great, everything stayed bone dry and adding a cheap $5 Wal-Mart poly bag liner to my TQ as well helped me stay warm enough to sleep through the night w/o getting cold. Overall, my wife said she really liked her first nights aloft and wants to try it again on our next trip, using my OMW tarp for the first time. If I can rig it, I'm gonna try pitching the tarp tight to the ground with my wife's hammock+ bug net inside like normal and then rig up the UST single bug net that I got from Wal-Mart inside also ( but not over my wife's hammock) and use my 5×7 Grabber o.d green & silver emergency blanket/tarp as a footprint so my daughter can sleep inside it with her and be 100% protected from bugs. So it will basically be a tent that has a hammock going through the middle. So thanks again for all the tips , she really found it helpful and since she had such a good first experience, wants to do it again.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I’m so glad you had a great trip!
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I'm a little late to the party but my wife loves everything about backpacking except for not being able to get a hold of the kids. An inreach explorer solved that concern, she is very happy. And a stool.

I just saw this today...Really glad she had a good 1st experience. I doubt my wife would even give it a try. She hasn’t wanted to even just try out the hammock indoors..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12