Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Came to the darkside... because, good sleep

Hey folks. I just made the switch from ground dwelling and have to wonder what the heck I was thinking.. well, with some shoulder problems and typically being a side sleeper I have to slowly not be a side sleeper anymore. My last hike on the Tuscarora Trail ended me in a shelter and that floor did me in (plus just never really feeling good in a tent and could never find a sleeping pad that I liked.

So I looked around, saw some videos and made a few contacts. The bulk of my new gear came from Dutchware Gear and I'd say 90% of that decision was solely based on them answering their phone and offering great explanations. I got my Chameleon hammock yesterday and tried it out and oh wow that thing is great! So I got that hammock with the symmetrical bugnet, beetle buckle straps and some of that dutch bling.
    I got a 12ft hex cuben tarp from Hammock Gear and a 20deg underquilt from Enlightened Equipment both of which I'm still waiting on. Pretty pumped to get my new gear on my 100 mile AT trip!

Aside from the hammock jazz, I'm a remodeling contractor in the Harrisburg, Pa area and my screen name is my nick name from every contractor forum that basically just ended up as my trail name or what have you. I got into hiking well over a year as a means to stay in shape. I had quit drinking almost 2 years ago and unfortunately kinda got ditched by a bunch of so called friends. I like going to the gym to try and keep fit and I also assistant coach on a highschool wrestling team. When I can, I periodically play music with a few of my friends. We recorded an album 2 years ago for fun but shortly thereafter one of the members left so the rest of us just get together when there's time away from family duties.

I think some of my new hobbies will be making some gear items for myself. I'd like to tinker around with some of those synthetic underquilt and top quilt kits from Rip Stop by the Roll... all so I can get a little practice to make my own backpack. I was trying to design up a new one with that Appalachian Ultralite company where I already have one of his but he took away his phone and doesn't take requests anymore. Just decided to eventually make my own instead.
    Cheers
    Todd

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! Looks like you have a great start to your gear! Enjoy hanging out!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Welcome from South Jersey. Make sure you check out the "Hangouts, Campouts, and Trip Planning" link for the Northeast and try to make it to some of the gourd hangs. I'm a new member as well, and the folks I've met have been great. Welcome down the rabbit hole!!!

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    In my hammock, especially in the winter, is where my best sleep is found.
    Welcome.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks! I was invited to one of the events when I had questions with Dutch but ended up not being able to go because of work that weekend but wanted to try one out sometime. Is there hiking involved or just show up and hang in a tree/camp?

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Just want to say you are in great company here on the forums. You made some stellar gear choices for sure. Hope to see you at some hangs this year. Very knowledgeable, friendly, and all around great human beings are here judging from past hangs I have been at. Welcome to the hangin'/hikin' hobby. I also started hiking to get in better shape.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images
    Howdy Dawg, welcome from NC. Almost all info you need is here just search, ask and share. I would suggest going to a group hang in the ( Campouts, hangouts) local section of the site and looking at setups to get other ideas and brands. I find on most major items it is better to stay with the cottage, custom or family owned business. My opinion only...... Thanks and start having fun in the trees!
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

• + New Posts