Tarp
    DIY Options
    Insulation
    HG | CDT
    Suspension
    Yes.. too many
    Images

Split rings at the ground corners...

Before I proceed with swapping all my corner hardware, I am curious if anyone is using just split rings at tarp ground tie out points? I am looking to streamline things a bit and make my guy lines more easily swapped between my tarps. I am using different guy line setups by season and with three tarps it would be easier to have split rings to remove/replace/test various setups. Not into larksheading to the corner hardware. Right now I have Beastie D's.

Weight difference is negligable.. 1.6g for a single Beastie D and 1.2g for the split ring. However, eight Beasite's on my winter tarp and it starts to add up.

Any one else doing this? Any problems or concerns? I am planning to use split rings from Warbonnet...

You wonder why I love to sleep alone, in the woods, in a hammock.. I wonder why you don't...

Hammock
    WB1.1DLXLC
    Tarp
    COGS MesaVerdeNat
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Toggles
    Only reason I can see that I would not so that is that split rings suck to get on and off. I just run Perfection Loops (the loop knot I know blindfolded) and larkshead them to the Beasties. Split rings just seem like a hassle to me. I swap out various guy cordage on our tarps frequently trying new stuff and the larkshead is so easy.

Sent from a furniture shop in Maine
    I spend more time making stuff than I do using it all!

www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Hammock
    Comfy ones!
    Tarp
    I like Tarps
    Insulation
    Down, pads,whatevs
    Suspension
    Strong stuff
    Images
    Those s biners or black plastic things that have been around that are like Dutchís flys. All about the same weight and they have a caribeaner effect which is very simple of course.
    Also one thing. I know you say you donít like to do the lark head but if you do that once with shock cord loopyou then have a replaceable piece of gear that you can abuse and then hook up your choice of any thing to that. Itís all separated. Ya dig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Knots weigh zero. I could undo a knot as fast as working a split ring.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom-J-bend-CL
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Knots weigh zero. I could undo a knot as fast as working a split ring.
    +1

Also, cord is cheap. I have guylines on all the tarps so there's nothing to swap out... one less hassle, one less thing to forget.

HYOH and all that, and I hate to be a One-Note Sally, but my default position on just about everything is K.I.S.S. ó and bling as a last resort!
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-12-2018 at 07:02.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

UL, because nobody ever asks "How can I make my pack heavier?"

Hammock
    DIY Options
    Tarp
    DIY Options
    Insulation
    HG | CDT
    Suspension
    Yes.. too many
    Images
    I still haven't fully committed to doing this. Right now I have two sets of corner lines for each tarp except the Asym. I may keep the Beastie's... And larkshead the lines on..I am vulnerable to over thinking things..

Just ordered 100' of Z-Line. I've used it in the past and though you can't splice it is very tangle resistant. Maybe less hassle-factor will sway me a different way...

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...

You wonder why I love to sleep alone, in the woods, in a hammock.. I wonder why you don't...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    +1

Also, cord is cheap. I have guylines on all the tarps so there's nothing to swap out... one less hassle, one less thing to forget.
    I agree - cord is cheap. All my tarps have permanent guylines (Zing-It 1.75) and ridgeline so there's nothing to swap out. I like to know that every tarp is ready to go, and all I need to remember are stakes.

I once saw a guy removing his guylines and ridgeline from his tarp at a group hang. I could not imagine why anyone would do that. It bugged me so much I had to go ask. He said he had multiple tarps but only one set of guylines and one ridgeline. Didn't make any sense to me, but do what makes you feel good!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY Options
    Tarp
    DIY Options
    Insulation
    HG | CDT
    Suspension
    Yes.. too many
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree - cord is cheap. All my tarps have permanent guylines (Zing-It 1.75) and ridgeline so there's nothing to swap out. I like to know that every tarp is ready to go, and all I need to remember are stakes.

I once saw a guy removing his guylines and ridgeline from his tarp at a group hang. I could not imagine why anyone would do that. It bugged me so much I had to go ask. He said he had multiple tarps but only one set of guylines and one ridgeline. Didn't make any sense to me, but do what makes you feel good!
    Can't lie...This ^^^^ is why I have multiple sets of lines spliced on. I always want to grab the appropriate tarp and go.

The split rings are just too make swapping seasonal lines easier. I'm using mini is in winter and tarp worms the balance of the year.

Sent from somewhere east of Montauk...