Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    MLD TQ, HG&AHE UQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies

Backpacking with a hammock in Grand Teton and Yellowstone NP

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to decide on a week-long trek and am considering the Tetons, or two short trips in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks respectively. Does anybody have experience backpacking with a hammock in these parks? Is it allowed? What kind of restrictions are there?

I've done some reading and understand this is prime bear and moose country, but am not sure how this would deter a hanger more than a tent camper; and there are a lot of tent campers applying for backcountry permits.

Also, in terms of regulations, are the mountains outside the national park land equally spectacular but less restrictive?

Thanks very much for any insight.

Cheers,
    R
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    KSC did a trip in Yellowstone a year or two ago, Blaktee did one a few years back each with hammocks. Lots of trees and no special restrictions in either that I am aware of. Good bear country practices are recommended as is bear spray....camp away from where you cook, hang food and all smelly items in bear bags a ways out from camp and make some noise while hiking...not good to startle animals.

There are lots of areas in the general area that are great hiking but outside of the parks that will be less restrictive as far as permits go. Wind River range in west-central Wyoming is a destination for sure that will have great scenery and more solitude than the parks. The Sawtooths here in Idaho are also great hiking and scenery...see my many trip reports. Uintas in Utah is also top quality for remote hiking and scenic beauty.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    MLD TQ, HG&AHE UQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Thanks Paul, great insight! Iíll look up the members you mentioned. I believe hanging bear bags in GTNP is not allowed, so will have to use canisters. Not my favorite, but hey...

Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com