Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anouncing the Hammock La-Z-boy (not sure where to post this)

Last year I had an idea for a hammock chair, and I have been trying to perfect it in my not-so-copious spare time. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but IMHO it's pretty awesome. Everybody keeps asking me if I'm going to make these to sell, but I suspect that people wouldn't pay enough for it to be worth spending my precious free time making them. I am looking to the forum for a little market research: What do you think a ready-made product like this would be worth? And – different question – what would you be willing to pay?

Since I think pictures are not enough to really envision this thing, I have put up this video on YouTube:

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think it looks well thought out and comfortable but it seems to me that there are a lot of lines and pieces to set up. You could almost achieve the same thing by hanging a regular gathered end hammock low enough to sit perpendicular and have your feet on the ground with the advantage of being able to switch between sitting and laying.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Wow, looks like you have a great Kick Starter campaign video. As for pricing. Research various vendors to manufacture the system to your designs. Then add your margin and margin for sub-vendor. The price point I think you could ge would be in the $40.00 to $65.00 range. Can you get them made and marketed for that? There's where the research comes in. As a cottage vendor starting out could you ask for more, maybe but you would have to build a tribe and really market your story and rally people around your passion.

Looks to be a great product. Go for it....
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 05-14-2018 at 12:50.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    That yellow rope behind her head looks uncomfortable. Other than that, it looks comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    You could almost achieve the same thing by hanging a regular gathered end hammock low enough to sit perpendicular and have your feet on the ground with the advantage of being able to switch between sitting and laying.
    Maybe I'm unreasonably fussy, but I never found a truly comfortable way to sit in a GE hammock. Certainly nothing like this lounger (at the risk of blowing my own horn). And now that I've gone to a bridge hammock, sitting in my GE hammock isn't an option for me anyway.

This thing is about ultimate comfort. Think portable La-Z-Boy. I can't imagine ultra-light folks having any interest in it – it is weight that you don't need to carry. I imagine this being more attractive to people (like me) who would consider taking an "ultralight" camp chair, but don't think they are comfortable enough to be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I think it looks well thought out and comfortable but it seems to me that there are a lot of lines and pieces to set up.
    I suspect that one problem with this thing is that it looks kind of complicated and therefore potentially intimidating. The reality is that it isn't any more difficult to set up than a bridge hammock. Of course, before I started making/using bridge hammocks, I thought they looked unnecessarily complicated. The main potential problem with the lounger is getting lines crossed in the process of putting it in the stuff sack or taking it out, which can be alleviated by using a snake, which is what I prefer.

I should make a video of set up/take down. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Wow, looks like you have a great GOFundMe campaign video. As for pricing. Research various vendors to manufacture the system to your designs. Then add your margin and margin for sub-vendor. The price point I think you could ge would be in the $40.00 to $65.00 range. Can you get them made and marketed for that? There's where the research comes in. As a cottage vendor starting out could you ask for more, maybe but you would have to build a tribe and really market your story and rally people around your passion.

Looks to be a great product. Go for it....
    Thanks for the encouragement. But... this is what I'm worried about. These don't take that much material – maybe $20-30 worth – but at $65 my labor would be valued at maybe $2-3 an hour. That doesn't include any business overhead.

Something like this is what I was thinking would be a good comparison: https://www.rei.com/product/128052/n...r-luxury-chair

Quote Originally Posted by Immortalviking View Post
    That yellow rope behind her head looks uncomfortable. Other than that, it looks comfy.
    Ah, I need a shot of the headrest. There is a pillow behind her hair – that's what the yellow line is attached to.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    https://www.amazon.com/Lightweight-H.../dp/B06XGQ1CV9

http://theupscout.com/gear/chammock/

https://hammocktown.com/products/lounger-hanging-chair

there's a lot more too. chammock doesn't have the footrest, but it's under $70 and absolutely no monkeying around to make it work

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. But... this is what I'm worried about. These don't take that much material – maybe $20-30 worth – but at $65 my labor would be valued at maybe $2-3 an hour. That doesn't include any business overhead.

Something like this is what I was thinking would be a good comparison: https://www.rei.com/product/128052/n...r-luxury-chair
    I think your looking at it wrong. Hire a company to custom make these for you. You are pricing material at retail and calculating labor at your skill level. Investigate contracting the manufacture out to a contractor. I had custom bags made to fit snow skies for a business venture I did one and got them made from a sewing factory in Cleveland, OH for $3.50 each. Could not have touched the material in them for that price. Had a minimum order of so many units. With a Kickstarter campaign you can set the goal of X number of orders needed before you place your order and bam you have the funds to pay for production.

The trick here is not to do the production yourself and let someone with scale provide the manufacturing efficiency.

best of luck... Just look at Outdoor Vitals... I doubt he makes anything himself. And, I am sure the cottage vendors here sub-out more than you may think.

Hey, Good luck

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post

I was thinking $40 to $50 max (plus you would need to add in the cost of hiking poles, which not everyone uses), but $220 is pretty insane. You have to look at the competitors in the hammock chair market, and nobody is charging $220. You could get four or five hammocks for that!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast