Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I won't speak for any of the vendors here but...

Decent way to rough it in-
    1/3 materials, 1/3 labor, 1/3 gross profit.

If you are labor heavy you could combine it with materials for roughly the same ratio.

Finding sewn goods contractors is very hard.
    Looks like lots of specialty splicing you can't sub out.

I'd would pay a couple hundred for a Nemo Stargazer... point being I could just pick it up and use it anywhere.
    I sell my Premium bridges for $300+... and people buy them.
    So off hand I wouldn't dismiss your price point but...

Looks like lots of fiddle factor to set up/dial in.
    You need a stand or trees.
    As pointed out you need trekking poles.
    It has one function that is potentially 'the best'... but not such a critical function that it will draw a large market.
    Unlike other chairs... you can't easily move it around camp for changing views, set it by the fire, go watch the sunset... or stargaze in a nearby clearing. So in the 'premium chair' category it is missing several key features of competing chairs in my opinion.

If you NEED a couple hundred to make this work... I think you're done.
    I'd pay a couple hundred for an Amok Dramur and get a pretty sweet camper lounger. That's sorta where I see this as a quick look comparison. Same level of setup required by the user, maybe a bonus feature in the better foot rest... but no bonus in that you can truly lazy-boy it out and go to bed like an Amok.

That has nothing to do with your design...
    Just a quick and dirty marketing perspective from someone working on being a vendor.
    The idea is critical... but if you can't get the idea from prototype to production at a reasonable price point then it's just a great idea.

I've had to scrap lots of stuff over the years (and money) simply because it couldn't be brought to market.
    Better to be honest than nice.

As fer a go-fund me... I think that market is saturated. Nor is it a good model for something like this.
    That's great for a widget like that ridgeline phone hanger... not much to go wrong you just need some economy of scale.
    Something like this... what happens if you raise money for them and can't find a vendor. Or get 1000 units in the field and it turns out that yellow rope hurts, or some cost cutting corner you wouldn't take results in returns, recalls or failures? Without some ability to self-produce (repair) and a round of testing you could open yourself up to big problems.

If you can't produce 10-20 of them, send them to testers, and get feedback on the process then you won't know what might happen.
    If you can't self produce 10-20 of them... if you do find a manufacturer you won't be able to answer any production questions and your product could get kicked out of the shop.

Sewn goods sounds simple... but it's a very hard, messy business if you are producing anything out of the ordinary. Margins are very low and they don't want to play with your stuff. They want production ready patterns and easy to produce units. You could pay for sampling at $150 an hour (for them to sort out those things for you)... but again you're back to marketing and eventual return on investment vs long term sales. That first unit could cost you 5-10k... that's a lot of chairs to sell to cover.

If you did want to move forward... make 5. Do a testing program here on the forum. Fix the problems, make another 5.
    Slower... but safer.

You might be surprised... it's possible doing a few production runs for yourself will speed things up. Or you could identify pieces that made sense to subcontract or a way to integrate more 'off the shelf' things you could integrate.

Designing is step one.
    Testing is step two.
    Redesign is step three.
    If you get through that... you have to finally design for production.

There is a reason you don't see established vendors rolling out truly new products often.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I was thinking $40 to $50 max (plus you would need to add in the cost of hiking poles, which not everyone uses), but $220 is pretty insane. You have to look at the competitors in the hammock chair market, and nobody is charging $220. You could get four or five hammocks for that!
    I honestly don't know how you could get $220 when Amok Draumr is down to under $190 (and no offense intended) is twice the chair, has a bug net that can be used in chair mode, and then is your bed for the night/weekend

and I'm betting, I can set it up, or take it down faster

edit: at $75 or less tho, I'm looking hard at it. I like the idea, but compared to a Chammock, which is kinda same idea, but MUCH more simple?

pdxhanger,

Just wanted to say that you making that hammock shows off some great skills. Nicely done.

To market the chair though, looks to be a lot of headaches. However, if you have the passion and the time, just do it. Follow your dream.

Be safe.

Bob

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxhanger View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. But... this is what I'm worried about. These don't take that much material maybe $20-30 worth but at $65 my labor would be valued at maybe $2-3 an hour. That doesn't include any business overhead.

Something like this is what I was thinking would be a good comparison: https://www.rei.com/product/128052/n...r-luxury-chair
    So if materials are $30, you're saying that it takes 11.6 hours of labor to create one of these Hammock La-Z-Boys? I'm just subtracting $30 from $65 = $35, then dividing $35 by $3 to figure out where you're getting $3 per hour labor.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-14-2018 at 19:38.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thanks for your reply. A set up and take down video would be helpful. Good luck with it if you choose to pursue it. A car/canoe camp Lazyboy has potential.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Nice work man! I think its rlly awesome, but if your'e looking for some constructive criticism, I would be more interested if it had a feature to fully recline into a hammock you could sleep in. Also, i think it would be more visually appealing and make people more willing to buy it, if there weren't so many straps and lines everywhere. It may come off to buyers as a messy, tangly and confusing setup.