Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Superfly optional diagonal pitch?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a superfly (using it with a BlackBird XLC) but in addition to the default sheltered pitch with the doors and all I like the diagonal tarp pitch as well like this http://www.tothewoods.net/ImagesStay...x9-Digital.jpg . I'd use the default pitch (https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/wp...0/IMG_0991.jpg) when I expect bad weather or want some extra privacy and the diagonal pitch for other times since I like the visibilty and waking up to seeing the nature instead of a tarp all around me. But I'm not sure if it's suited for that. Can people that are experienced with the superfly comment on this?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    So you're just talking about having two tarps and choosing one as needed, right? I pretty much have this exact setup. Not the Superfly, but a similar Toxaway, big hex tarp. It is my default tarp. But I did want something lighter, less bulky to hike with on shorter trips when I expect fair weather. I don't think you want another big one like in that picture, which seems to be as big as the Superfly, just a square pitching diagonally. I use a Simply Light Designs Simplicity tarp which is asymmetrical and inexpensive. Its larger than the Hennessy asym, is very lightweight and tiny packed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    So you're just talking about having two tarps and choosing one as needed, right? I pretty much have this exact setup. Not the Superfly, but a similar Toxaway, big hex tarp. It is my default tarp. But I did want something lighter, less bulky to hike with on shorter trips when I expect fair weather. I don't think you want another big one like in that picture, which seems to be as big as the Superfly, just a square pitching diagonally. I use a Simply Light Designs Simplicity tarp which is asymmetrical and inexpensive. Its larger than the Hennessy asym, is very lightweight and tiny packed.
    I think he's asking if the SF can be successfully used diagonally.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Think pitching it in porch mode may work out better when you want the visibility waking up.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner/blackbird xlc
    Tarp
    Bushwack minifly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Wooki
    Suspension
    Dutch spider/poly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your comments. The problem with the open porch superfly setup is that you either need two additional well positioned trees to tie the corners to, long camping poles like in the picture or large sturdy sticks which are not always available or easy to find. It makes site selection a lot more difficult when you are not traveling through heavily forested areas or requires you to carry extra equipment. The diagonal pitch as I showed above gives visibility without all those things... you just need 2 trees, but on the other hand you don't have the option of an enclosed setup for storms. So I was wondering if I could pitch the superfly like that. I guess not...
    Last edited by s0meguy; 05-15-2018 at 20:56.

Hammock
    Amok dramur xl
    Tarp
    Wb superfly
    Insulation
    Fjol xl pad
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    I guess I don’t see why not? It has d rings on the corners so I suppose it would work that way.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think the issue is that pitching the SF on a diagonal would require a large gap between the trees. With as far apart as the trees would have to be, you may have a harder time getting your tree straps high enough on the trees to get a good hang.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    And with a diagonal setup you will not as much protection in case of rain and or wind. As I always use hiking poles, setting up my tarp in porch mode is not an issue.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    I think the issue is that pitching the SF on a diagonal would require a large gap between the trees.
    Yep, about 15 ft. Add three ft. for hardware (knots, whatever), and you'll need trees 18 feet apart. That means your straps will need to be 6.7 ft. high on the trees.

https://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Of course, the Superfly will become like a giant windsail on the diagonal. The wind (rain, etc.) will get under it and that could be hard to control. I also suspect that the sewn ridgeline will make getting a taut pitch rather difficult on the diagonal. I don't think Brandon designed the Superfly with any clue that someone would conceive of using it on the diagonal.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast