Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ok i'm confused again. there's 6 selections of dream hammocks, and the dutch hammocks have the chameleon (which is popular like the blackbird xlc) and the half zip (which has been suggested and has fewer feedback). and they all have different price points and different features.

Have you checked out the Trail Lair from Jared at Simply Light Designs? He may also have one ready to go in his "get up and outdoors clearancevsection". Lots of options, great price and you'll have it super fast. I'm on my second one plus I have a bunch of his gear.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolclou View Post
    ...I personally would say look at a basic hammock, either netless or one with a symmetrical net, from one of the vendors here...

2) Hennessy: people seem not to stick with them. Too heavy? Too short? Too much fiddling with the suspension? I'm not sure, but it makes me leery that people seem to move on from it after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Have you checked out the Trail Lair from Jared at Simply Light Designs? He may also have one ready to go in his "get up and outdoors clearancevsection". Lots of options, great price and you'll have it super fast. I'm on my second one plus I have a bunch of his gear.
    Guilty as charged on the Hennessy! I was a summer camper who thought I needed a net. The Hennessy was really superior for that, perhaps except for the small tarp which I never had issue with, but nor did I enjoy it as much as my big one now. Actually, I've come full circle there a bit, going back to an asym when I want to be lighter, which is increasing more often. As I gained an UQ, I realized I needed to be able to reach out and adjust and couldn't do that without a zipper mod on my classic Explorer. Ended up selling it instead of spending more on it. And yeah, never did like the rope suspension. Was beginning to learn about whoopie slings and such and wanted to try something new.

So, I'm in agreement with ccolclou that perhaps the best starter hammock now is a simple gathered end hammock with modular net. Used to be easier to spend much less on this setup than say a Blackbird, but it can still be done. Going to Jared at Simply Light is a great suggestion. Besides having good prices and speedy delivery for custom work, as mentioned he has a section of stuff at discount. For that matter, so does Warbonnet, but Jared seems to have more for less.

If you wanted a netted hammock for cheap, the Byer Kakoon has been selling on Massdrop at a ridiculously low price for a package including a tarp and suspension. Its longer now, so more suitable for camping than it used to be. Its still relatively cheap on Amazon. Still, take a look at SLD to see if there's anything that interests you first.

p.s. the asym I'm using now is the SLD Simplicity which is relatively inexpensive and has a little more coverage than the std stock Hennessy.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    ohh gotcha, the dream hammocks are symmetrical. does that make them slightly more uncomfortable than the asymmetrical hennessy or warbonnet?
    No, the Raven is symmetrical. The other netted hammocks from Dream Hammock are asymmetrical. Dream Hammocks are in no way less comfortable than a Hennessy or Warbonnet. In fact, Spiguyver just released a YouTube video a couple weeks ago where he and two of his buddies objectively compared the Dutch Chameleon, Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, and Dream Hammock Sparrow. And all three said the Sparrow was the most comfortable.

Now comfort is very subjective; so you can't really take someone else's word as gospel. But I wanted to illustrate the point that most folks regard DH as making very comfortable hammocks. But so does Dutch, and Warbonnet, and Simply Light Designs.

Research is your friend. Go through each vendor's website and dive into the various features. It seems like a lot right now. But you'll quickly figure it out, and it will start making sense.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    I mean at this point, I figure I can just pick one and be happy with it. But it looks like the eldorado is the way to go right now
    I think you should go ahead and pull the trigger on whichever way you are leaning right now. Get yourself into a hammock so you can visually see the ins and outs of hammocking and everything should start making sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG CUBEN TARP
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies / CRL
    also, i bet i can easily make a light weight rainfly real cheap. I mean it's just a piece of rectangle with holes in it. how hard could it be? do people do this? buy 20D nylon, cut it up, and tie the ends to strings to make a rainfly?
    Yes, loads of people make their own tarps. Check out the DIY section of the forum. Make sure you do your research.

However if you are not hiking you can always just buy a cheap Walmart tarp until you decide if this hammocking thing is for you. Because it just doesn’t work out for some people, and that’s ok too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    can you elaborate on why? given that the skeeter beeter and eldorado seem to offer the same things, except one of them costs quite a bit less.

also, the eldorado is basically the same as the blackbird, except without the extra room to store things. I'm kind of surprised it's not more popular. Is there a reason for that?
    The Eldorado is pretty new offering.
    See mine at 13:43 in video below.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DangerBird #4284
    Tarp
    CG Hex | HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Strap
    ok i'm confused again. there's 6 selections of dream hammocks, and the dutch hammocks have the chameleon (which is popular like the blackbird xlc) and the half zip (which has been suggested and has fewer feedback). and they all have different price points and different features.
    Welcome to the rabbit hole of hammocking The problem is, everybody prefers something a little different and what works well for one person might not work well for another. If you read the forums you can get a better idea of what you might prefer. You can also eliminate certain options if you wish to stay within a certain budget. In any case, you CANNOT GO WRONG with a hammock from a cottage vender.

The first think you need to know is when you want the hammock. Some vendors have a long wait time for custom orders (5+ weeks and others ship within 48 hours). You will want to practice hanging for awhile before your trip so you are not learning how to set up when you are away from home.

You'll also want to know what options you want (or need) in the hammock. Your height would suggest you would like an 11' (or perhaps a wide 10') hammock. Dual layer will be important to help contain the insulation pad you plan to use. I prefer an integrated bug net on my hammock versus an extra net setup, but there are good arguments for either option.

If you decide to get an asymmetrical hammock, beware that the terminology can be confusing. A "right lay" is typically how most folks lay in a hammock (head to the left of center and feet to right of center) whereas a "left lay" is the opposite. Me? I can sleep both ways and got one heck of a deal on a used 'left lay' Dream Hammock. Which brings up another point. Browse the 'for sale' section of this forum. Members are always selling sweet gear at a nice discount. You can easily get more bang for your buck in a hammock if you are comfortable with used gear.

Picking a tarp can be just as confusing as picking a hammock. At least they are a little more forgiving in regards to comfort. I like my cheap Amazon.com tarp.
    Adventure is worthwhile in itself -Amelia Earhart

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Each cottage vendor has an integrated-net hammock model that is the "flagship" and one that is simplified and more spartan.

Again, it will get easier for you to choose if you decide what aspects of your new hammock are most important to you. Do you want a lightweight hammock that packs small? Or do you want a feature-laden hammock that has versatility and some creature comforts?

If you want a somewhat heavier hammock that has flexibility and convenience as circumstances change, opt for these:

* Dutchware Chameleon
    * Dream Hammock Sparrow
    * Warbonnet Blackbird XLC

If you want a simplified hammock with the same comfort as the flagship models but with lighter weight and a scaled-down feature set, opt for these:

* Dutchware Half Zipped
    * Dream Hammock Darien
    * Warbonnet Eldorado

Within each category above, you can further refine your choice by looking at details, features, weights, price points, and available materials for the hammock body.

And don't forget SLD if you're leaning toward the "flagship" end of the spectrum... HTH...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

thanks for the summaries. will definitely do more research on those.

one question about the dangerbird. it features a top cover for colder weather insulation. I'm wondering if that top cover can also be used as a rain cover, when the vent holes are covered. do you think that could work or no? conversely, can a rain fly be also used as a top cover during colder weather, by hugging the top of the hammock very closely?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast