Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Spider1.5, Toggles
    Posts
    834

    looking for first hammock

    The whole point of hammocks with integrated nets that are sewn on one side and zipped on the other (and there are other brands out there) is to save weight and money. It’s a great option with obvious trade offs. If you only exit from one side all the time and don’t need the opposite end accessible to cook breakfast or adjust your UQ, and don’t plan on switching out tops, then you should get a half zipped hammock.

  2. #52
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    15
    alright.. I ordered a parachute double hammock for $20, just to see what hanging is like, and keep it around for casual picnic days. If it all works out, and I'm a right lay person, then I'll order a double layer half-zip for future trips, which might not be for a while. I'll also order some 5x9 feet nylon fabric to turn into a rainfly, which should be pretty cheap, compared some of the other stuff people have. it might be on the small side though.

    thanks for everyone's help so far, setting me on the right path

    could the light weight rain fly material double up as a ground cloth, in case the hammock has to turn into a bivy? I figure it won't be nearly as strong, but at least it'll protect the hammock, right?

  3. #53

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Magnolia Springs Al
    Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD assym
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfed View Post
    but HH is recommended up to 6' tall people, as you are just a little above the limit
    The Hennessy Explorer that he mentioned is for people up to 7'. I have one and it is much more comfortable than the Expedition (for people up to 6'). That being said, I would rate them El Dorado, Explorer, Skeeter Beater (Not bad for the money but you'll just buy a better hammock).

  4. #54
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    15
    I tried out my cheap parachute hammock that arrived in the mail today, just to see what it's like to hang. It's a double hammock that's 11' long, and plenty wide, which I figured would let me do the 30 deg lay to see what it's like in either direction. that said, there were no tieouts, no ridgeline, totally symmetrical cut. I realize the quality would not be the same as a good hammock, but here are my observations.

    even though i tied the hammock with not a lot of slack, there was a fair bit of stretch, and no matter how I laid, I could feel my shoulders being compressed.

    maybe it's because the hammock stretched more? I mean the material is rated for 400 lbs, so I'm assuming it's less elastic. but no matter what my position was in, I felt like a mummy.

    the hammock was built wide, but that didn't help much, as there wasn't any tie outs, and the two sides were flopping around in the wind or completely enclosing me inside by meeting each other at the top

    overall, I was just testing things out, and had no intent to fall asleep. I'd have to try it some more, but based on these descriptions, how much better would a good quality hammock be?


    PS. for reference, this is what I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-TRA...Nest+Parachute

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Spider1.5, Toggles
    Posts
    834

    looking for first hammock

    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    I tried out my cheap parachute hammock that arrived in the mail today, just to see what it's like to hang. It's a double hammock that's 11' long, and plenty wide, which I figured would let me do the 30 deg lay to see what it's like in either direction. that said, there were no tieouts, no ridgeline, totally symmetrical cut. I realize the quality would not be the same as a good hammock, but here are my observations.

    even though i tied the hammock with not a lot of slack, there was a fair bit of stretch, and no matter how I laid, I could feel my shoulders being compressed.

    maybe it's because the hammock stretched more? I mean the material is rated for 400 lbs, so I'm assuming it's less elastic. but no matter what my position was in, I felt like a mummy.

    the hammock was built wide, but that didn't help much, as there wasn't any tie outs, and the two sides were flopping around in the wind or completely enclosing me inside by meeting each other at the top

    overall, I was just testing things out, and had no intent to fall asleep. I'd have to try it some more, but based on these descriptions, how much better would a good quality hammock be?


    PS. for reference, this is what I ordered. https://www.amazon.com/Cutequeen-TRA...Nest+Parachute
    79” is WAY too wide for a hammock and if you got the small model, 57” by 110” is a tad narrow for 6’1” and way too short for most adults. You’re always aiming for a comfortable chair height off the ground for ease of entry and exit and for lounging sideways. Without a ridgeline, you’ll need to spend a lot more time practicing hanging to get as good of a hang. A longer ridgeline is going to have less sag and it will kick you into a straighter lay and add shoulder squeeze. A shorter ridgeline is going to require much higher placement of your straps on the tree to get that comfortable chair height. You need to find a happy medium.

    Most preferred hammock fabrics have a ripstop grid for extra support and this one is a taffeta which does not. That might be why it’s stretchier.

  6. #56
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    79” is WAY too wide for a hammock and if you got the small model, 57” by 110” is a tad narrow for 6’1” and way too short for most adults. You’re always aiming for a comfortable chair height off the ground for ease of entry and exit and for lounging sideways. Without a ridgeline, you’ll need to spend a lot more time practicing hanging to get as good of a hang. A longer ridgeline is going to have less sag and it will kick you into a straighter lay and add shoulder squeeze. A shorter ridgeline is going to require much higher placement of your straps on the tree to get that comfortable chair height. You need to find a happy medium.

    Most preferred hammock fabrics have a ripstop grid for extra support and this one is a taffeta which does not. That might be why it’s stretchier.
    just saw a couple of videos on ridgelines. and I may have confused the stretchiness of the material with how tight it felt. I was trying to go for a horizontal position by increasing the tension of my suspension. and I know now how that led to a tight squeeze. i'm definitely going to make a ridgeline for the hammock, and do another test.

    also, I didn't realize a hammock can be too wide? I thought wider = better. but I got the larger 130" x 79" version, which is really heavy too (3 lbs after the suspension straps). what does it mean if it's too wide? is that why the sides were flopping in the wind, and enveloping me inside, like a cocoon? maybe the thing is better served for base jumping

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Spider1.5, Toggles
    Posts
    834

    looking for first hammock

    Quote Originally Posted by spectastic View Post
    just saw a couple of videos on ridgelines. and I may have confused the stretchiness of the material with how tight it felt. I was trying to go for a horizontal position by increasing the tension of my suspension. and I know now how that led to a tight squeeze. i'm definitely going to make a ridgeline for the hammock, and do another test.

    also, I didn't realize a hammock can be too wide? I thought wider = better. but I got the larger 130" x 79" version, which is really heavy too (3 lbs after the suspension straps). what does it mean if it's too wide? is that why the sides were flopping in the wind, and enveloping me inside, like a cocoon? maybe the thing is better served for base jumping
    The only reason you might want 79” wide is if you are sleeping more than one person in it. But everyone here will tell you it’s pretty uncomfortable to sleep like that and you should get two hammocks and maybe bunk them on top of each other if you need to be close to each other. Even better than that is two hammocks at the same height on the same trees with a spreader bar at the head end. It actually works! I believe you both need to lay the same direction though.

    Most people don’t like any wider than a 70” and often 65” is plenty wide. 58-60” is standard. One reason is that’s the width of most popular fabrics, but it is coincidentally a great width too. What you need to realize is that in order to take advantage of a super wide hammock, you need a lot of sag or else it just becomes useless sidewall material. That means steeper suspension to get that chair height. Which will require you to pitch your tarp higher to clear the straps. Which will make you more susceptible to wind driven rain if you don’t have a wide tarp with doors. This is where 90° hammocks chime in. But they have their own set of issues like some require a pad and a specialized tarp and are tippy. Bridge hammocks are an option, but require spreader bars and a bigger tree span and sometimes require tarp pullouts.

    The 30° strap angle is just a guideline, don’t worry too much about precision. A comfortable sag, chair height, and tarp height is what you should spend most of your tweaking time on. The important note here is that a nearly horizontal suspension puts way more strain on the gear and the trees and should be avoided. If it feels really tight as you’re about to get in and your straps are leveling out, stop and let some slack out. A deeper or steeper suspension is less of an concern. But the steeper it is, the less likely you’ll be able to reach up where the straps need to cinch around the tree if the trees are further apart from each other than 15ish feet.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 05-21-2018 at 03:00.

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    219
    Yeah, I had the same problem when I originally tried a cheap parachute hammock also :-) Personally, I don't know that I really get rid of the shoulder squeeze completely, but other hammocks are NOWHERE near as "squeezy-mummy". That's partially due to the width, partially due to the panels, and partially due to the fabric stretchiness; I also find a pad to help with this (again, I seem to be a minority here with that opinion!). For what it's worth, the most comfortable hammock I have used was the https://www.hammockbliss.com/sky-bed; I don't use it any more due to durability and because so many of my trips are backpacking, and weight is a priority - but I still have fond memories of how comfortable it was!

  9. #59
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    15
    did some more lounging in the parachute hammock today. rigged up a ridgeline this time, using the 85% guideline i found in some other video. and it was awesome, waaaayyy better than if i were on the ground. body didnt feel squeezed nearly as much as last time, thanks to the extra slack. randy is right that the hammock is too wide. i was pretty sprawled out, and there was still wrinkles of excess material under me.

    so i went on warbonnet and got me a eldorado double layer. . they're on sale for memorial day btw. got the buckle/straps because it's easy. i hope they can send it to me early enough for this camping thing next week.

    i know the xlc is kind of famous for its storage area, but can't you easily tie the stuff sack on the ridgeline inside the eldorado? there's probably less space, but still.
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 05-28-2018 at 21:02.

  10. #60
    This has been a great read. Thanks to all who have contributed! I too am thinking of upgrading to a true camping hammock and this thread has given me a ton to think about!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •