Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Honestly, you read me just about 100% wrong, Carter. I think you are definitely delving too deeply.

Not to clutter up my thread with a discussion I really would have preferred to have privately, but since you leave me little choice, I'll try to respond fairly, honestly, and as succinctly as I can...

There was no condescending remark -- nothing intended, and nothing made -- nor was their any implication, despite my desire to remain political, only expression of my opinions and expectations.

I dissolved my agreement of collaboration with Ripstop by the Roll at Kyle's suggestion -- not of my own volition -- precisely so I could remain free to speak my mind openly and honestly here on the forum.

I am not badmouthing anybody -- not you, not him, and certainly not RBTR -- all entities I hold in some esteem for both their intrinsic value and their contributions to this community.

Quite contrary to your statement here, I expect RBTR to innovate precisely because RBTR has both a reputation and a proven track record for doing so. It should be obvious to anyone reading my post that this is the case. I was merely expressing my disappointment, as is my right to do here, that what seems to me like potential for obvious synergy of ideas and technology is so far not being exploited in this specific case, even with the groundwork having already been laid. It's not a question of whether my own designs and ideas were accepted, but that this very viable concept, which would have required relatively little investment to put into practice, was not readily explored.

This was disappointing to me, and my statement was a simple and honest expression of this. Not being an employee of RBTR, I'm not bound to redact it, nor should it be viewed by anyone as a negative outlook on what is obviously an accomplished company. (I've ordered from RBTR a couple of times already since our collaboration ended, after all... You did notice that I built my bridge hammock out of ROBIC, right?)

I appreciate your attempt to enlighten me as to the intricacies of product line development and marketing, but after sixteen years as a professional graphic designer and marketing consultant to a broad range of independent businesses, such challenges are well understood by me, and they don't change my perspective on this particular case one iota.

I hope that clears up my position and my intent and allows you to take less umbrage. Kyle and I expressly chose to part company with no hard feelings, so I hope there will be none between you and me as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    Not sure if you are trying to imply that RBTR doesn't innovate, perhaps I am delving too deeply. Just because a company chooses not to go to market with your idea, does not mean that said company is not innovating. I find that comment peculiar. Choosing which products to go forward with and bring to market is a difficult and complicated process, which can be even more challenging when trying to build something that has never existed before.

I have not become a part of any conversation thus far, and I certainly appreciate the innovation and competition from Dutchware, but I do feel that your condescending remark about RBTR's innovation is bad form. In my experience, it is much easier to augment a system that has already existed than it is to bring something entirely new to market. I was a DIYer way before I had anything to do with hammocks or outdoor products as an occupation. IMO, RBTR has been one of the few on the cutting edge of the industry for quite some time. Innovations might include: OutdoorINK (this encompasses a ton- like printed pack fabrics and waterproof-breathable fabrics available to anyone etc), Hybrid Woven hammock fabrics, ROBIC nylon hammock fabrics, enormous leaps in color availability, DIY kits , pre-cut kits, UL WPB, Laser-cutting with emphasis on the backpacking community, laser cut tarp reinforcements, and the list continues…

I also want to reinforce that I have always appreciated your beautiful DIY write-ups and thoughts, and I hope this comment finds you respectfully. The community would not be what it is without your input and ideas. The same goes for Dutchware. I use Dutchware products and still shop there all the time; in fact I just got a package in here at the shop last week. That being said, I am voicing my opinion just as anyone can here on the forums. To me, it is saddening to see that you are seemingly using your platform to sway a community to believe that because only one company has accepted all of your ideas, they are somehow more forward thinking than the other. Especially when RBTR has also been an integral facet of this forum since I have been a member, even way before that.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-17-2018 at 04:52.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by 4estTrekker View Post
    You may have designed just the bug net solution I've been looking for to pair with my own DIY bridge. Do you have a rough description or diagram of the basic shape of the netting you'd be willing to share? If not, no worries!
    No problem. There is an isosceles triangular mesh panel hemmed into the end of the main bug net, the base of which is hemmed to the end cap. You can measure the height of your ridge line above your spreader bar (since each DIY bridge hammock is a little different) and then adjust the apex angle end the lengths of the two equilateral sides to fit. "Keep It Super Simple!"

Hammock
    BoneFire,DIY Bridge,DH
    Tarp
    HG DCF,UGQ,DIY
    Insulation
    BoneFire,UGQ,Clew
    Suspension
    BoneFire Deluxe
    Thanks for the reply. I acknowledge your request for a private discussion. However, I chose specifically to address the issue publicly because in my interpretation, the issue was a public one. I would have actually chimed in much earlier if I were NOT involved with any company. Because of that, I certainly understand your want to be unaffiliated. Apologies if I interpreted something beyond your intention, but I will say that I received a few PMs thanking me for speaking up, as well as emails addressing the issue. This leads me to believe that others might have taken those comments in a different manner than you intended, so I hope you do not think I am specifically targeting you for any prior dealings.

As to the relevancy of my comments to your thread, perhaps the inner workings of your dealings with companies as an employee/beneficiary is best left out of the DIY sub-forum in general. This might lessen the likelihood of confusion or misinterpretation.

I reiterate my respect for you and this forum, and know that no hard feelings exist between us on my end. I fully and absolutely recognize your right to opinion and public forum, and will continue to follow and enjoy your DIY builds/posts/ideas and comments.
    Last edited by Intimidator; 05-16-2018 at 20:54.
    -Carter

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com| "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Good work.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Good work.
    Thank you, gunner

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
    I reiterate my respect for you and this forum, and know that no hard feelings exist between us on my end. I fully and absolutely recognize your right to opinion and public forum, and will continue to follow and enjoy your DIY builds/posts/ideas and comments.
    As the happy owner of a custom kitsapcowboy ROBIC Chameleon clone and some sweet little "Starry Night" bags he whipped up, I'm personally quite thankful for both KC's skills and RSBTR's materials. There are a lot of different aspects of innovation, and I hope (and expect) to continue seeing lots of it from both KC and the RSBTR crew.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    Yet another cool project.
    What would need to change for this to handle heavier - say up to 250 - hangers with wider ... shoulders? Just stronger fabric, or would there be other design changes needed? I've been on the fence for a while thinking about trying a WBRR - love my WBBB XLC and there seems to be a strong contingent that consider the RR to be even more comfortable, but I've also seen comments from bigger guys about it being a bit narrow.
    Thanks, JF. Mostly just stronger fabric, like switching to midweight ripstop in the 1.6 to 1.7 oz range, I think... You could also add an inch or two to the width of the hammock body if you want a little more room at the center of the hammock, but adding width at the ends without increasing the spreader bar length on this style of bride will only deepen the "pocket", which may produce suboptimal results for hangers with broad shoulders. The ratio of the spreader bar length at 75% of the end fabric arc length seems to provide very satisfactory comfort and avoid the feeling of having one's head and shoulders engulfed by the hammock...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Nice design.. bridge hammocks have been a mild attraction for me, but I get stalled at the thought of carrying spreader bars.
    Nice work.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 05-19-2018 at 09:40.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    Was there a reason you chose to go with the poles at the ends rather than inside like the Ariel?
    In part to simplify the design and construction of the hammock for a more expedient build, much like the grosgrain cord channels, and in part because at 6'2" I nearly fill up an 80" bridge hammock, and I prefer the clearance of having the spreader bars completely out of my way when I enter and exit the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    Great job!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Nice design.. bridge hammocks have been a mild attraction for me...Nice work.
    Thank you.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Have come late to the party, typically these days, but not too late to say I like what I see here.

Recessed bars do complicate things and there is much to be said for keeping things simple. Comes a point where one balances personal aesthetics with other factors. Since I make these for myself and not as a business, I can afford to push on the aesthetics that appeal to me, hence the parabolic endcaps versus the easier to make triangluar ones you get with HikingDad's nice design, the splicing of the cord just so to admit the tips rather than webbing (again HikingDad's design)...purely for myself.

So let a thousand flowers bloom! Great to see innovation continuing ... keep it up!
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast