Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images

Symmetrical bugnet...like it?

I have no issues with my Chameleon with asym bugnet, but I also wouldn't mind the option of switching my lay without flipping the bugnet. For those of you who have both, if you were to do it again, would opt for the asym, or the symmetrical bugnet? Does repositioning the pullouts result in less room while in a diagonal lay? Also, is the net too floppy when not using the pull outs?
    Man, Dutch has pumped out so many great options lately I'm going to have to get a second job! Nets, top covers, sidecar, printed fabrics, winter tarps, printed patterns...amazing!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have once symmetrical top cover on a Chameleon, and I like it a lot. IMHO Dutch did a masterful job on that one.

Technically, the symmetrical cover does constrain the hammock on the diagonal slightly more than an asym cover would, ut unless you're literally pushing the envelope of your hammock you probably won't notice much.

That said, being 6'2" in an 11-foot Chameleon hammock, even with only a moderately aggressive diagonal lay, I choose the asym covers and bug nets most of the time, since the original asym covers still let you reverse lay direction, owing to the patented Vision reversible zippers. I don't find I have a need to reverse lay direction while I'm in the hammock, and so if I ever have a circumstance that compels me to sleep on the other diagonal, I'm content to unzip and flip the net/cover. The asym top halves have a great fit with minimal constraints on the hammock body, and I appreciate the aesthetics too.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 100 Ton View Post
    I have no issues with my Chameleon with asym bugnet, but I also wouldn't mind the option of switching my lay without flipping the bugnet. For those of you who have both, if you were to do it again, would opt for the asym, or the symmetrical bugnet? Does repositioning the pullouts result in less room while in a diagonal lay? Also, is the net too floppy when not using the pull outs?
    Man, Dutch has pumped out so many great options lately I'm going to have to get a second job! Nets, top covers, sidecar, printed fabrics, winter tarps, printed patterns...amazing!
    I have the Asym bugnet (technically the Integrated Sidecar top cover - but made with all mesh) for my Chameleon and I like it a lot. I occasionally notice a little bit of floppiness on the net near my head if I leave the pullouts loose, but it's so minor I often don't bother. But the pullouts are very easy to stake down and they completely eliminate that issue (for me).

I don't have a Chameleon symmetrical bugnet, but I do have the Double Dutch Bugnet for a tandem setup (two Chameleons) and I think that it's more like a symmetrical bugnet - certainly seems easier to switch position (head left to head right) with that setup.

That said, for solo use I would not exchange the asym net on my Chameleon or my WBBB XLC for a symmetrical bugnet. While I sometimes do switch when I'm in a netless or a DDBN tandem setup, I haven't felt the need to switch sides to get comfortable with an asym bugnet. But that's just me - you'll have to figure out what works best for you the "hard" way. (would that all learning were so "difficult"...)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I have both & prefer the symmetrical bug net. I like being able to change my lay when I want during the night & not have to fiddle with flipping the bugnet.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Is there much of an improvement as far as visibility out of the symmetrical net VS, the asym?
    Thanks for the feed everyone!

I feel like I don't have the large "wall" I get with asyms.

Much prefer symmetrical to asym.

• + New Posts