Down pillow info

I live and will be camping in Texas. Will a down pillow like the Hammock Gear XL be comfortable in hot(ish) climates? Is down hotter than other material? What will happen to the pillow if I sweat? Is sweat bad for Down?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    Down is washable [just use a decent "down wash" product] so no worry there.
    Heat rises so the pillow is probably going to be no warmer than poly-fiber... just packs down WAY smaller and lighter.
    I use a cheap down "sweater" in a stuff sack... double duty since the jacket is great when you only want a bit of long sleeves and warmth. I think it is a perfect solution... [scroll down a few entries...] >> https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/2017/07/page/1/
    I'd do down.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Quote Originally Posted by vickaiser View Post
    I live and will be camping in Texas. Will a down pillow like the Hammock Gear XL be comfortable in hot(ish) climates? Is down hotter than other material? What will happen to the pillow if I sweat? Is sweat bad for Down?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I have used my HG down pillow in Florida spring time camping. Never had a problem getting too hot as it cools off at night. When I do get warm I just reach out and push my UQ off to one side and I am good to go. Later in the night when it gets cooler I just reach out and replace it.

Yes down can be warmer than other materials because the loft created by the uncompressed down traps your body's heat and keeps you warm, but again since I can keep the rest of my body fairly cool my head doesn't get too hot.

I haven't been sweating up against it but the down is treated to withstand some moisture. However I wouldn't want it to get soaked, especially with your body's sweat and oils because even after it dries your oils are going to remain and will keep your down from regaining it's loftiness, and with it the effectiveness. You may want to pick up some down wash so you can clean your pillow if you are expecting to be sweaty.

Hammock
    Towns-End, Custom Cowboy, LSOH
    Tarp
    WB, UGQ, Towns-End
    Insulation
    LL, JRB, WL
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I use a synthetic pillow from Simply Light Designs. I never liked my down ones. I never hang without it, and have never got hot because of it. Plus, being synthetic, i don’t worry about sweat, just launder when needed.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I actually like LL Bean's down pillow. Ripstop-ish [material] on one side for warm nights and polyester/fleece on the other side for cold nights. I also have a Klymit inflatable x-pillow for hot nights.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 05-18-2018 at 12:24.