Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Suspension Length?

    I noticed that Dutch had 18ft suspension options. Wouldn't your hammock be touching the ground when setting up with trees that far apart? Thanks.

  2. #2
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom+MSH+CL
    Posts
    366
    For BIG trees out West. Think sequoias.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

    Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. — Me

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    For BIG trees out West. Think sequoias.
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhh

  4. #4
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom+MSH+CL
    Posts
    366
    I was camping recently along the Allegheny Front Trail (PA) and the very best place to hang at our campsite had a big, gnarly cedar tree on one end, and that was a tad tight even with 15' Venom straps. No sweat because I also had a 6' Amsteel dogbone that would have totally solved the problem. But it goes to show that it's a good idea to take some sort of extension even here in the East with very little old-growth forest — ya never know!
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

    Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. — Me

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I was camping recently along the Allegheny Front Trail (PA) and the very best place to hang at our campsite had a big, gnarly cedar tree on one end, and that was a tad tight even with 15' Venom straps. No sweat because I also had a 6' Amsteel dogbone that would have totally solved the problem. But it goes to show that it's a good idea to take some sort of extension even here in the East with very little old-growth forest — ya never know!
    So that means you were hangin pretty far apart, atleast 38ft or so. You didnt touch the ground when you laid in the hammock?

  6. #6
    cmoulder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ossining, NY
    Hammock
    DH Darien #6235
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    EE Enigma, Revolt
    Suspension
    Venom+MSH+CL
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by questionmike View Post
    So that means you were hangin pretty far apart, atleast 38ft or so. You didnt touch the ground when you laid in the hammock?
    No, the spacing of the trees was fine, about 16-17', but the girth of the big cedar used up a lot of the strap length. The hang was totally fine, about 20" or so off the ground.
    Late spring 'for real UL' hammock backpacking list

    Confidence is the happy zone between arrogance and caution. — Me

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    No, the spacing of the trees was fine, about 16-17', but the girth of the big cedar used up a lot of the strap length. The hang was totally fine, about 20" or so off the ground.
    Makes sense, thanks.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Louisiana
    Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12
    Insulation
    Renegade/Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    527
    When the tree span is far, you just raise the straps where they wrap the tree. There is a point where it becomes impossible of course, but don’t forget you can push the straps up with a stick or a trekking pole or stand on something. But generally, long straps are for fat trees.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    10.5' open or Grand Trunk w/bug net
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ- Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    UCR's/Whoopies
    Posts
    98
    The strap length I use is 54". This will wrap 80% of the trees I encounter and want to hang from. My adjustable UCR is attached directly to the end of this strap. For the other 20% I just find a different set of trees. If that is really not a practical option, I also carry a 12" dogbone I can attach to the free end of the strap. I've only had to use it once.

Similar Threads

  1. UQ suspension length
    By Billy Goat in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-2016, 15:28
  2. UQ Suspension Length?
    By CB200T in forum Bottom Insulation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 18:25
  3. Length of Suspension for UQ?
    By cvlngnir in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 10:23
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-01-2012, 12:53
  5. length of UQ suspension
    By wwk10 in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 11:07

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •