Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Yar... I actually had a lot of trouble with UQ's when I got the larger bridges going. Up until those I was mainly selling to backpacker using pads and those were recessed bars right off the bat to reduce weight.

In truth I am not much of a 'hanger' in terms of other vendors stuff. I only recently started buying stuff from other vendors just to try to help customers sort things out better and get more familiar so I could better answer questions.

The main trouble was that everyone is used to seeing a ridgerunner (which I hadn't owned)... So when I started getting the bigger hammocks going I couldn't understand why people kept trying to hang them off the bars either, lol.
    As a group (the testers and I) we kept over thinking it and trying to recreate various versions of end bar attachments. One day I just said screw it and clipped up the Incubator and was pleasantly surprised, lol. A few other testers came to the same conclusion too and we all quit trying to be so clever. As it stands there is only one person who just never got it sorted out.

But... at the end of the day the recessed bar bridges seem to be best treated like a gathered end for UQ's.
    A fully custom one would be valuable... but a standard one seems to work out 'close enough' that unless you really want to nerd out on your DIY projects might as well stick with what seems to work.
    It almost seems like hanging a RR specific quilt is harder than a GE quilt actually... though it can be done easily enough.

I do have a prototype or two for my micro and medium bridges... but haven't tackled the big ones yet because there is no real need.
    To that end... Kitsap's info is useful for the overall design and valuable to get you going... I think the feller just likes to be helpful so much he doesn't want to mislead anyone with anything less than a perfect solution.
    But the 'basics' of shaping an end bar UQ work just fine for a recessed bar if you scale it to the section between the bars. You just need to add the extension for each end if you want a full length. Kitsap's quilt (scaled to fit) would work just fine as a basis for a 3/4 design that did hang bar to bar. That's basically what several of my SUL quilts look like for the micro and medium bridges I have... not much different than ones I've seen Grizz share publicly either.

Grizz actually does something really cool on his personal Ariel he brought out to our local hang when I got a change to meet him last winter... but his design to share.

I think FJRPilot may have something to add somewhere too? I can't recall exactly what he did but I think he got something together for his oversized Ariel. As he said, it ain't rocket science.

If you want rocket science you need WV's triangle mapping technique.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Yar... I actually had a lot of trouble with UQ's when I got the larger bridges going. Up until those I was mainly selling to backpacker using pads and those were recessed bars right off the bat to reduce weight.

In truth I am not much of a 'hanger' in terms of other vendors stuff. I only recently started buying stuff from other vendors just to try to help customers sort things out better and get more familiar so I could better answer questions.

The main trouble was that everyone is used to seeing a ridgerunner (which I hadn't owned)... So when I started getting the bigger hammocks going I couldn't understand why people kept trying to hang them off the bars either, lol.
    As a group (the testers and I) we kept over thinking it and trying to recreate various versions of end bar attachments. One day I just said screw it and clipped up the Incubator and was pleasantly surprised, lol. A few other testers came to the same conclusion too and we all quit trying to be so clever. As it stands there is only one person who just never got it sorted out.

But... at the end of the day the recessed bar bridges seem to be best treated like a gathered end for UQ's.
    A fully custom one would be valuable... but a standard one seems to work out 'close enough' that unless you really want to nerd out on your DIY projects might as well stick with what seems to work.
    It almost seems like hanging a RR specific quilt is harder than a GE quilt actually... though it can be done easily enough.

I do have a prototype or two for my micro and medium bridges... but haven't tackled the big ones yet because there is no real need.
    To that end... Kitsap's info is useful for the overall design and valuable to get you going... I think the feller just likes to be helpful so much he doesn't want to mislead anyone with anything less than a perfect solution.
    But the 'basics' of shaping an end bar UQ work just fine for a recessed bar if you scale it to the section between the bars. You just need to add the extension for each end if you want a full length. Kitsap's quilt (scaled to fit) would work just fine as a basis for a 3/4 design that did hang bar to bar. That's basically what several of my SUL quilts look like for the micro and medium bridges I have... not much different than ones I've seen Grizz share publicly either.

Grizz actually does something really cool on his personal Ariel he brought out to our local hang when I got a change to meet him last winter... but his design to share.

I think FJRPilot may have something to add somewhere too? I can't recall exactly what he did but I think he got something together for his oversized Ariel. As he said, it ain't rocket science.

If you want rocket science you need WV's triangle mapping technique.
    Thanks, I had a chance to try the GE method of attachment on my bridge. It worked much better. I was testing with my DIY UQ which is similar to the fit and shape of the Incubator. It has only a very small gap at the top of the bridge edge. It is so small that I am not sure it will be an issue. I found that it does require a much tighter suspension that a GE to close in the sides tighter to the hammock edge.

I am rethinking the idea of making a custom Ariel UQ. While I do have the materials I think I may just simplify and make some "Draft Collars" that I can attach to the side of the bridge to fill any gap and still use a standard UQ. I think a tube about 2-4 inches lofted and 24-36 inches long would work just great. I could snap them to the sides or use a couple quilt hooks to hold them in place. This way I could start on my integrated bugnet design sooner.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12