Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm confused. Before you cart it off to the shop.. why can't it zig zag? Wot 'appens?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'm wondering why it wont zig-zag too??? What does the manual say to do to set it on zig-zag??
    I agree with everyone else about the fix for the bottom thread nesting up... adjust your upper thread tension. (add more) And totally rethread your machine.

This thread you mentioned.... is it normal sized thread?? You said something about it being some kind of heavy duty something or other??? I know on my machine, IF I change up thread and switch to something like a quilting or heavy duty thread, I have to change my upper thread tension AND change my bobbin tension (which I really really don't like having to do)

My machine also will do embroidery and even though it's about 20 years old, it can still tell me which foot to use, which upper tension number to adjust to and if I can use either the walking foot or even the lower foot. Your machine sounds newer than mine, check out that manual and see if there's somewhere on your machine that will tell you what you should be setting your controls on. If you're not able to zig-zag, can the machine still do the embroidery stitches???

Forgot something to add.... about not zig-zaging.... some machines, even though you put it on the zig-zag setting, you must tell it how wide to do the zig-zag. If you've got it on "0" width, you could still end up with a straight stich.

TinaLouise
    Last edited by TinaLouise; 02-22-2010 at 09:21. Reason: forgot something!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I'm confused. Before you cart it off to the shop.. why can't it zig zag? Wot 'appens?
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    I'm wondering why it wont zig-zag too?
    Since I got the manual I set it just like it said, for zig zagging, and nothing. It would only straight stitch. Since then I've given the inner workings a scrubbing with an oily toothbrush and I've gently put all of the controls through their full range of motion, now it's zig zagging like a champ. But, I'm still getting a big ball of thread under were the needle goes down that stops everything dead but it's way more infrequent now, any thoughts on how to handle that one?

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Did you try a new needle? Pull your bobbin case and give it close examination..check for any nicks or burrs. If there is any wear/nicks on the hook or bobbin shaft clean them off with some fine emery cloth. Try different fabric to see if it sews good on something other than sil. Maintain tension on both top thread and bobbin thread at start up by gently pulling them to the rear of the machine. Start slow and watch that the threads are not getting pulled under. Have adjusted the lower (bobbin) tension?
    If you still having probs, you may need a tune up? Sounds like a lower tension problem or bobbin drive slightly out of timing? Does it clunk or bog down?
    You may have a loose gear on your bobbin drive shaft? Check under your footplate (you may have to take some of the body/case off your machine to see the gear). Or a loose belt.?
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Did you try a new needle?
    Yep, it's the right brand and size that the manual told me to use.
    Pull your bobbin case and give it close examination..check for any nicks or burrs.
    It seems brand new and so does the shaft and hooks.
    Try different fabric to see if it sews good on something other than sil.
    I've been sewing webbing, nylon ripstop and hemming heavy wool hunting bibs with the same trouble.
    Maintain tension on both top thread and bobbin thread at start up by gently pulling them to the rear of the machine. Start slow and watch that the threads are not getting pulled under.
    Holding onto the threads?
    Have [you] adjusted the lower (bobbin) tension?
    One of my bobbin cases seems to be perfect as you described it before in this thread. My second bobbin case seems too loose, but I have the same problem with either of them.
    If you still having probs, you may need a tune up? Sounds like a lower tension problem or bobbin drive slightly out of timing? Does it clunk or bog down?
    It bogs at a dead stop the light on the machine even dims but the motor does engage.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the zig zag track was seized up because of sitting with old oil I would guess there are other problems that would be best diagnosed by a mechanic.At the very least the old goop needs to be cleaned out. Sounds like somebody used some diesel transaxle lubricant on the works. Have it cleaned and adjusted by a pro. That's my vote.

One other thought. Is there a consistent circumstance in which the wooly mammoths come out to play? Tell us the full details and maybe it is something simple.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    One other thought. Is there a consistent circumstance in which the wooly mammoths come out to play? Tell us the full details and maybe it is something simple.
    Wooly Mammoths ? If by that you mean the bird's nest/knot thing that stops up the works that happens right under where the needle goes down into where the bobbin lives. It usually happens when I start and stop, or I go forward and then reverse.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It sounds like there is a problem with the feed dogs. Are they metal with exposed teeth? or do they look like they have been coated with rubber and are smooth with minimal teeth. If the latter then they need to be replaced so they work correctly. I don't know that machine so I don't know what the original design was. Coated feed dogs do wear out and can be replaced at a fairly reasonable cost. A good dealer should be able to get the parts. Or you might be able to find them on line. If that is all that is needed it could be a reasonable diy replacement. A pic of the feed dogs and throat plate might be helpful if you can manage it.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It sounds like there is a problem with the feed dogs. Are they metal with exposed teeth? A pic of the feed dogs and throat plate might be helpful if you can manage it.
    The feed dogs are metal. I can't manage a picture but my busy wife may be able to when she gets a chance.

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images

Everything so far is great info

first..Everything so far is great info.

1. New Needle, I know this was recommended already. Needles come in packs of 10 or 100 for good reason.

2. If you're straight stitching OK, (I may have missed something) and not zig zagging, likely your bobbin hook is not catching the needle thread. Many reasons for this, these are some.
    a) Presser foot tension too loose allows the fabric to move/lift before completing the stitch, especially in widest zig-zag and causing skipped stitches. Also in slippery fabric, loose presser foot tension can cause the fabric not to feed, especially at the beginning of the stitch, causing the balls on the bottom side of the fabric.
    b)thread tension in either can cause problems. If you have not gotten overzealous on either tension, this is probably not it. Usually, if top thread is cranked on hard and bottom tension is not, it will snatch the loop out on thin fabrics that do not need a lot of tension. One indicator of this is loops or loose stitches on the top of the fabric.
    c) timing is a possible/likely culprit. Don't know about your Bernina, but some machines, maybe most, can straight stitch fine, but widest zigsag skips stitches and creates the balls under the fabric if the timing is a little off. From the technical side, on the widest zig zag, the hook has travelled much farther around the circle (or is not finished travelling the circle) and misses the top thread. Timing problems frequently first show up in zig zag stitching or in straight stitching in the outside needle positions vs. center.

If you have the owners manual, it may tell you how to time it, which is actually fairly simple if you are comfortable loosening a few screws. If not, try to find a similar machine manual. By similar, I mean side bobbin, front bobbin, rotary hook, oscillating hook, etc... If you ever took you bike apart as a kid, this is well within your abilities. Worst case is you make it worse and you visit the repairman you were going to visit anyway.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast