Burrow vs Burrow Econ - packability

Does anyone have experience with both 20 degree Burrow and 20 degree Burrow Econ quilts? I know the standard version is lighter but how much smaller does it compress down? I have an Econ 20 degree and I feel like it takes up about half of my Osprey Exos 48L.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'd love to see a side by side just out of curiosity. 99% of the time it isn't the weight of an item for me, but the volume in the pack. And just because an econ may fit in the same size sack, doesn't mean I would want to. I try to go easy on my down when possible. But if they both fit in easily, good enough. Just thinking out loud.

I've found the packability to be about the same. No noticeable difference

Hammock
    Chameleon 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/ doors
    Insulation
    Various HG and LL
    Suspension
    Poyester straps
    How are you packing it? I also have the Econ 20, and I think half of a 48L pack seems like a lot. But I have a 70L pack, so I could very well be wrong.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I've not noticed a difference in compressed size between my Econ Phoenix 20° and my regular Phoenix 20°.

I can quite easily fit both my 20° Long UQG Bandit and my 20° Phoenix in a 20L dry bag with a bit of room to spare.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by jsallen79 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with both 20 degree Burrow and 20 degree Burrow Econ quilts? I know the standard version is lighter but how much smaller does it compress down? I have an Econ 20 degree and I feel like it takes up about half of my Osprey Exos 48L.
    Osprey can occasionally be a bit optimistic in the real life pack size. Like many they include volume from all the stretch mesh pockets and hip belt etc. The main body is not 48L.

A 13-15L pack size sounds about right for a 20* top quilt... but that's in a confined space(stuff sack). Loose stuffing on it's own could easily look like half that pack... especially as the Exos tapers a bit towards the bottom and flares a bit in volume as the pack goes up.

Ideally... you can lay the pack down, load up a strip of items along the portion closest to your pack and then loose stuff the quilt around that.
    If that doesn't fit your packing style then getting a 20L or so stuff sack is probably best. If you cram it into the smallest size sack then it turns into a brick. Packing in a slightly bigger size will allow the package to adapt to the shape of the pack itself better.

A third option is to shove about half the quilt in loose. Then layer your gear in and loose stuff to finish. That fills all the nooks and crannies better.

A full pack carries better than a partially full. I like to use my insulation to perform that job and rely on a pack liner in wet conditions.

• + New Posts