Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    framjam, congratulations on the start of an epic journey. There are numerous stickies at the begining of these forums- READ THEM- as you will find many answers to questions you didn't think about. Practice in the back yard in case you need to bale in the middle of the nite.
    I have read many/most of the sticky threads (in some, I skipped to read only the last year or two of responses!), and I have learned a lot already, but I also know that it's only in theory. Time to get out and practise.

One thing I've learned from Shug's videos: I need a bigger back yard.

Hammock
    Dutchware gear
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Jbend
    i think with some out of the box thinking and some creative injenuity you can make do with what you have. Go out a few times, and you will figure out what you want and what you don"t. My first solo late fall backpack in the Whites of NH, I was still sleeping on a thermarest, a cut in half sun shield, and my husbands old LLBean down jacket, that I rigged up as a sort of underquilt for my legs. When I woke up the following morning with snow on the ground, I was able to sit on the sunsheild, that I used to help block the wind, and wear the down jacket while I made breakfast. (When I'm backpacking I like my gear to be multi-purpose.) I thought for sure a tarp was going to be my big purchase at the time, but went with an underquilt instead. I continue to use my cut in half sun shield, and my poncho to block the wind on my long term borrowed tarp, as I save up for my future tarp, probably a Warbonnet mini-fly. So it is totally possible to do what you ask, as you figure out your own hammock hanging style.

That tarp will do you fine, probably for a lot of years. I've got essentially the same one from Hammockgear and like it more and more every time I use it. If you're carrying a poncho or even just a rain jacket you can creatively rig a beak or door on one end if needed. I wouldn't buy more stuff until I'd exhausted the possibilities of what I already owned.

And backyard practice prior to going out is essential (and fun).
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 05-24-2018 at 03:00. Reason: add more info
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Nothing wrong with that HH Expedition btw. Plenty people,self included,have one.I use tarp with doors in winter,otherwise in summer a xenon hex tarp.I have not gotten wet yet but have not encountered gale force winds(except once when hiking with an umbrella) so I can't offer any real advice other than to always have your dry bag handy and be ready to put your quilts in it until the worst blows over.

BTW,an umbrella will not keep you dry when the wind blows the rain sideways but it's great when normal precip is falling............and at least one person I know recommends using an umbrella to help block wind/rain under a low tarp.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    If you are wondering about doors, Wilderness Logics has the tadpole tarp with the removable doors accessory. That was my first tarp and served me well. I also have the Hammock Gear Quest tarp, which is the same as Dutch's he's tarp. At the time I bought it, Dutch didn't offer a 12' ridgeline, and it was cheaper than Dutch's hex tarp. I highly recommend either the tadpole or the Xenon hex tarps

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    +1 on the Tadpole ! Light and just big enough..... if you know your prevailing wind direction and your backpacking with a compass, try to hang broadside and low into the prevailing wind. Yes wind direction will change as a storm moves through but the bulk will be caught by the wedge of the tarp. If the trees are large enough in diameter they will help with end blow. Also, don't forget your cotton shoelaces tied on to your suspension for water diversion.

A hex tarp is plenty fine, but, there’s nothing wrong with more.

You can never have too much tarp!

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    Word.

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post

But you saw the part where this is my first backpacking trip, right? I'm trying to avoid carrying the kitchen sink, the four-poster, and my pearls.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    But you saw the part where this is my first backpacking trip, right? I'm trying to avoid carrying the kitchen sink, the four-poster, and my pearls.
    Understood, but your tarp is an absolute core item, so if you're going to spend some of your weight allotment, your weather protection is an acceptable place to do it. Bigger tarps help avoid certain kinds of user error while you're building skills and give you an extra margin of safety if the weather is worse than expected. I can understand wanting to avoid carrying too much tarp; just be sure to carry enough tarp for YOU.

I like big tarps, and I cannot lie (paraphrase intended ). I also like small tarps. Heck, I just like tarps in general...

Even though I'm an advocate of monster tarps, perhaps owing to the rainy locale in which I live and camp, I realize sometimes they're overkill. Much of the year I hang under small asym tarps because I appreciate their advantages (small pack size and light weight) and I've taken the time to learn their ins and outs and employ all the tricks necessary to maximize their performance in really foul weather. Asym tarps are "enough" tarp for me much of the time, but I realize that more substantial tarps can certainly make things easier.

One of my favorite compromise shapes for tarps -- falling somewhere between minimal and monster -- are 12x10 rectangle tarps. They are big enough without being "too big", they weigh only slightly more than a comparable hex tarp, they're very versatile, and if the tie-outs are correctly placed you can fashion very practical "doors" on the ends for winter tarp-style full enclosure.

Lots of options from which to choose...
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 05-25-2018 at 21:10.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast