Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images

Darien - say lay as Sparow??

Watched some reviews of the Sparrow, WBBB XLC, and Chameleon.
    The Sparrow gets great reviews for is "lay",, But I am looking for an Asym hammock, non-removable net, head left/feet right lay, "meet in the middle" zipper on the left (head side).
    It looks like the Darien is it, but does it have the same lay as the Sparrow ??
    Looking for the sparrow comfort, with the HH simplicity.

Slack

Darien - say lay as Sparow??

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Watched some reviews of the Sparrow, WBBB XLC, and Chameleon.
    The Sparrow gets great reviews for is "lay",, But I am looking for an Asym hammock, non-removable net, head left/feet right lay, "meet in the middle" zipper on the left (head side).
    It looks like the Darien is it, but does it have the same lay as the Sparrow ??
    Looking for the sparrow comfort, with the HH simplicity.

Slack
    I own the Dangerbird and tried the sparrow and thunderbird. They all had the same lay. I believe the differences in the Dream Hammocks comed down to different zipper configerations. They are all the same asym layout. Except the Raven. Im sure Papa can give you a better read on this though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    There are very minor differences due to the way the ends are built differently, but basically yea same lay and comfort.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    The Darien is the absolute lightest weight hammock with integrated bugnet. Mine (#6831) came in at 18 ish ounces. The Darien has the net sewn on one side, and has a #3 YKK zipper on the other side, that can be zipped together anywhere you prefer. Mine also has a peak shelf on the head end so i know where the head end is. I got the gear sling to store my CPAP machine, and decided to forego the ridge line organizer this time to save a few grams! The lay is dedicated asym lay left or right. The Sparrow is a symmetrical hammock body which can be ordered with either a symmetrical or asym bug net. If you get a Sparrow, I would opt for the symmetrical bug net, as the Sparrow is for comfort, and symmetrical lay means you can lay any which way you desire. I think the Dangerbird is also a dedicated asym lay hammock body and net. The Sparrow and Raven are the only two DH hammock designs that offer Symmetrical lays. Correct me Papa Smurf, if I am incorrect. I have both the Darien and the Sparrow and love them both!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    You will not be disappointed in any Dream Hammock! Great customer service and quality gear! I've had the privilege of hanging in every model except the Thunderbird. I'm a return/repeat customer!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks
    I just ordered another Dream hammock. A Darien #7086. This will be my first Dream hammock made from the wider fabric. I have a dangerbird and it sleeps very well. You will not be disappointed in anything they offer.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    You stated that the "Sparrow is for comfort" due to the sym lay.
    I lay head left/feet right diag, the only other option is head right/feet left,, unless you lay in the middle like a banana??
    So if you lay on a diagonal, as I guess 99.9% of GE hammockers do,, are you saying the sparrow is more comfy than the Darien?

Thanks,
    Slack

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    The Darien is the absolute lightest weight hammock with integrated bugnet. Mine (#6831) came in at 18 ish ounces. The Darien has the net sewn on one side, and has a #3 YKK zipper on the other side, that can be zipped together anywhere you prefer. Mine also has a peak shelf on the head end so i know where the head end is. I got the gear sling to store my CPAP machine, and decided to forego the ridge line organizer this time to save a few grams! The lay is dedicated asym lay left or right. The Sparrow is a symmetrical hammock body which can be ordered with either a symmetrical or asym bug net. If you get a Sparrow, I would opt for the symmetrical bug net, as the Sparrow is for comfort, and symmetrical lay means you can lay any which way you desire. I think the Dangerbird is also a dedicated asym lay hammock body and net. The Sparrow and Raven are the only two DH hammock designs that offer Symmetrical lays. Correct me Papa Smurf, if I am incorrect. I have both the Darien and the Sparrow and love them both!

I can tell you going from my asym XLC to my Chameleon with Syemmetrical cover, I prefer symmetrical because it does feel more comfortable to me. Feels more spacious.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    You stated that the "Sparrow is for comfort" due to the sym lay.
    I lay head left/feet right diag, the only other option is head right/feet left,, unless you lay in the middle like a banana??
    So if you lay on a diagonal, as I guess 99.9% of GE hammockers do,, are you saying the sparrow is more comfy than the Darien?

Thanks,
    Slack
    Sorry, let me clarify why my custom Sparrow is more comfy than my custom Darien. My Sparrow is 65.5" wide vs 62" on the Darien, and has a heavier double layer fabric 2.2 Hex 70 hammock body vs single layer 1.7 robic on the Darien. The Sparrow also has all the bells and whistles for comfort (hand loops, zippered bags, peak shelves, ridge line organizer, etc) and is a true 4 season hammock, whereas the Darien is still comfortable, but designed with being lightweight in mind (net only, no over cover). My Darien is less than half the weight of my Sparrow. With my Sparrow I purchased an asym net and over cover. The Smurfs also offer the Sparrow with an optional symmetrical net and over cover as well if you wanted to lay in any direction (like the Raven). The Darien is ASYM only (Net and body), as it is designed to be as lightweight as possible.

• + New Posts