Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties

Carolina Reaper vs Habanero -- 0 deg or -10 deg range -- ?'s

I've searched the forum and looked over George's site.... didn't find anything to say that one is a higher end compared to the other or just different in the design approach?

I'm looking at updating my UQ for the winter months with regular opportunity to hang in sub-zero temps. Both, I'm sure will do the job, just trying to understand the plus / delta of each.

I'm sure George is more than willing to talk / email w/ me about it... but thought I'd post here as this group may already have the info.
    Last edited by Us5Camp; 05-31-2018 at 09:51.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Both designs will keep you warm - the obvious main difference is the baffle construction.

The Habanero is a traditional UQ design, and we also give you the option to add direction to the baffles according to your lay. You can still lay left in a right lay Habanero and stay warm, but the main advantage to the directional baffles is it changes the shape of the quilt so that when you lay in the direction it was designed it hugs just a little bit better. That being said, the straight lay works just fine. The Habanero is directional, as the head end is wider than the foot end.

The Carolina Reaper takes advantage of our chevron baffle design to keep the down in place. Because of the nature of how an UQ hangs, a little more down is required to maintain full loft in the peaks of the chevron, but the down is also inclined to stay in place because of the up and down of the baffles. The Carolina Reaper is not directional- both ends have the same taper.

The Habanero is cheaper and lighter, while the Reaper has the advanced baffle design and cool factor, so it comes down to your priorities.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Obviously, George has the best information. But I just want to add that I have both a 20° Carolina Reaper and a 20° Saver Series Habanero; and both keep me plenty warm. The Reaper is extremely fluffy, but it's also a bit heavier than the Habanero, and doesn't compress quite as small.

You can't go wrong with either quilt. And George is very generous with his down to begin with. So regardless of which one you go with, you'll get a quilt that will keep you warm to AT LEAST the temp rating. Personally, I'd be comfortable taking mine down to 10° or lower. Just be mindful of your usage. If you're concerned about weight/pack size, the Habanero may be the best fit. But if you just want something that is truly unique, very lofty, and has an awesome design, then you can't beat the Reaper!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by georgecarr View Post
    Both designs will keep you warm - the obvious main difference is the baffle construction.

The Habanero is a traditional UQ design, and we also give you the option to add direction to the baffles according to your lay. You can still lay left in a right lay Habanero and stay warm, but the main advantage to the directional baffles is it changes the shape of the quilt so that when you lay in the direction it was designed it hugs just a little bit better. That being said, the straight lay works just fine. The Habanero is directional, as the head end is wider than the foot end.

The Carolina Reaper takes advantage of our chevron baffle design to keep the down in place. Because of the nature of how an UQ hangs, a little more down is required to maintain full loft in the peaks of the chevron, but the down is also inclined to stay in place because of the up and down of the baffles. The Carolina Reaper is not directional- both ends have the same taper.

The Habanero is cheaper and lighter, while the Reaper has the advanced baffle design and cool factor, so it comes down to your priorities.
    George,
    I'm looking at the following in a Habanero:
    Minus 10° Habanero Underquilt
    Size: 80" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: Standard - No Extra; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Outer Color: Burnt Orange Argon 90; Inner Color: Dark Olive Argon 90; Outer Stitching Color: Black; Inner Stitching Color: Orange; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black; Extra down: No extra Down;

Me: 6/3" 190 lbs

I noticed that in the 0deg and above there's a choice on lay direction, but on the -10deg there is not. Is there a reason?
    I don't know that I want a dedicated lay direction (never had one). I am a right lay, but also a frequent left or right side sleeper, so I'm sorta all over the hammock. With that a straight quilt may be better for me anyway?

Between the Reaper and the Habanero - do they both offer a similar draft collar setup? I've camped down to -15degF w/ my current setup. My only issue to date is getting the foot end gaps adjusted right. It's hard as we all know to tweak the foot end for gaps when you're camping alone.

On the primary suspension, is it a fixed length or adjustable to adjust tension of primary suspension?
    I presume all your -10 quilts use 1/8" primary shock cord.

I'd email you direct, but figure this format may help others with similar questions.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hammock
    DH Sparrow DL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 11
    Insulation
    HG Incu20°/Burr0°
    Suspension
    Modified whoopies
    Did you ever get an answer to your questions as asked here? I am looking for a similar set up from Loco Libre and have the sske questions.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    George,
    Size: 80" - 900 fill power Downtek Goose Down; Extra Length: Standard - No Extra; Width: 44" Width (industry standard); Outer Color: Burnt Orange Argon 90; Inner Color: Dark Olive Argon 90; Outer Stitching Color: Black; Inner Stitching Color: Orange; Grosgrain Trim Color: Black; Extra down: No extra Down;

I noticed that in the 0deg and above there's a choice on lay direction, but on the -10deg there is not. Is there a reason?
    I don't know that I want a dedicated lay direction (never had one). I am a right lay, but also a frequent left or right side sleeper, so I'm sorta all over the hammock. With that a straight quilt may be better for me anyway?

Between the Reaper and the Habanero - do they both offer a similar draft collar setup? I've camped down to -15degF w/ my current setup. My only issue to date is getting the foot end gaps adjusted right. It's hard as we all know to tweak the foot end for gaps when you're camping alone.

On the primary suspension, is it a fixed length or adjustable to adjust tension of primary suspension?

I'd email you direct, but figure this format may help others with similar questions.

Thanks,
    Mark

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    George,

Thanks,
    Mark
    I can tell you that both the Habanero and Reaper have the same draft collars. They also use 1/8 shock cord for the primary suspension.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts