Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tarp for Boat

Tarp for Boat

We are headed to the Bahamas on a 31 center console and are staying on the boat for 7-10 days. We will be exploring remote areas but will have access to fuel, fresh water and other necessities by stopping at different ports.

Some of us will be sleeping on the deck and others will be using hammocks. One of our main concerns is sleeping or getting under a cover in order to avoid rain at night. To that end, i have thought about using an ordinary blue tarp (or better) and cutting/customizing it to fit around the bow and sides of the boat (about a foot over) and over the front of the T-Top. I would have a ridgeline from the front of the T Top to the bow cleat (see red line on picture) and run a line from the bow cleat to the stern cleat on each side (see red lines on picture). the line from the bow to the stern would be used to hold down the tarp (the tarp outline is in yellow in the picture) over the side of the boat, using short bungee cords. Looking for some feedback from experienced members.

Thanks in advance.

boat outline.jpg

I can't help with the construction much, but having spent many nights on boats both large and small, I will say this.

1) Rain on a regular ol' blue tarp will be LOUD. If you've any light sleepers, it won't be fun.
    2) Blue tarps have a tendency to rip out eyelets. If you're not in the lee of an island and see some nasty wind, you'll likely find yourself making field repairs, hopefully not in the middle of the night.

If I were you I'd go with one of the much heavier duty silver tarps. But then you run into space issues. These things really don't fold up very small, and if you've got a few people plus gear, space is likely to be a concern on such a small boat (been there, done that).

Either way, sounds like a blast, and I'm very jealous. I'm also curious to see some of the other replies here.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    When I first started using a hammock I used one of the blue tarps from Walmart. It worked, I did not get wet, but the sound of rain on it was loud enough to wake the dead. I don't know a thing about boats but I do know a bit about tarps and I would not choose one of the blue ones if I had any other choices.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

It will definitely work. As others mentioned there is a noise factor. I've also found they tend to devlop a lot of pinholes after several foldings. for one trip it might be a good solution but I wouldn't consider it as a permanent solution.

I needed an extra tarp for a two night hang, bought a blue one from WM, put it up the first night and had rain. Big surprise, the thing had leaks in it. I would never trust one again. Look for another option!
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    plus one on that the eyelets of the blue tarp rip out if there is any moderately strong wind, and the rain noise is loud. I would go with another option.

thank you everyone for the replies. i am upgrading from a tarp to a sunbrella enclosure. thanks again

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I would try to find a way to allow air to flow under the edges of the tarp. It looks like the back is completely open, but if there are no openings in the front it will be stale and humid in the rain in the bow of the boat.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Quote Originally Posted by sunsetkayaker View Post
    I would try to find a way to allow air to flow under the edges of the tarp. It looks like the back is completely open, but if there are no openings in the front it will be stale and humid in the rain in the bow of the boat.

agreed. i am going to make windows on the sunbrella so that some air can flow.

Hammock
    diy gath'd end w/ KM, diy PH whip't
    Tarp
    12' henessy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ and UQP
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie - msh
    Last time I was in the Bahamas there were issues with mosquitoes...but that was when we were on land...Rum Cay. On the boat, we were anchored well offshore and I don't recall them being a problem there. Just saying be prepared!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk
    Sailing, ham radio (qrp), linux, diy hammock stuff...
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html
    www.qsl.net/wa4chq/radio.html

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast