DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs

HG standard lacks protection?

So I already know silversurfer has had this issue from a comment of mine on another thread but I was wondering what others opinions was as well? I finally after a long debate invested the money in a HG standard Cuben tarp with doors 11' ridge line. When it arrived I was elated at the light weight and craftsmanship. I took it this past weekend on our 5 day AT section hike and we had rain nearly everyday. I set up the first night like I usually would in my other tarps I set the tarp down as low and tight as I could get it and and cranked my hammock till the ridgeline was at the top of the tarp. That first night my under quilt got soaked and muddy. Next night I thought well low and tight didn't work maybe hang a bit higher and spread the tarp wider.... nope splash up was coming all the way up and through the bug net on my dh Raven. I really wanted to like this tarp but it has been quite the dissipointment. The sides are just to short no matter how I hang when I get in my hammock it's always going to hang below the line of the tarp. I have just seen so many people rave about these tarps who claim this has adequate coverage and I don't get it? I'm not new at all to setting up tarps by any means and I just don't think this tarp will ever cut it unless it's just a gentle rainfall or I could set up over soft ground that wouldn't allow as much splash. But that's rarely the case especially on the AT where it's bare packed ground. What's yalls thoughts and experiences?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I replaced a ENO ProFly with the HG Stand with doors. Initially loved it. However, I later purchased a Warrbonnet SuperFly as my Winter/Windy weather tarp. The weight penalty of the SuperFly was so frequently offset by the additional utility that I rarely took the HG tarp on trips.

I have since added 2 add'l Warbonnet tarps to my gear closet and have sold the HG Standard with doors.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

I've had my 11 foot HG standard with doors for a couple years in a variety of weather and some pretty heavy rainstorms and never had an issue. I'm using a 10 foot SLD Trail Lair hammock, so I've got good coverage on the ends. And, I always use my underquilt protector to guard from possible splash up. I always try to avoid pitching over areas with little or no ground cover....being over pine duff or grass is always what I always aim for.

For rain, I'll have it pitched low and have the tarp over the CRL, then I just adjust the sides so I can batten down the doors. I'll also use the side pullouts with my trekking poles to give myself some extra space inside.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Many people get by with tarps even smaller than the HG Standard. I've often wondered about how they stay dry - and usually hear stuff about "site selection" and "hang the tarp really low." However, site selection implies that I can hang wherever I want, and find a hill or bushes that will shield me from blowing precipitation. Here in the Northeast, that usually implies hanging illegally, since most places (the AT excluded) have designated campsites. Even on the AT, I haven't seen sites just screaming, "Pick me! I'm a great site for someone with a smaller tarp who needs site selection to avoid blowing precipitation!"

As for hanging the tarp really low, I don't really enjoy that as a method of weather protection. I'd rather have my hammock at about 16 to 18 inches rather than dragging in the dirt. I'm not even sure I could get out my hammock if it were 8 inches off the ground!

I once took my two sons on a canoe trip in the Adirondacks. We camped on an island, and my son set his silnylon hex tarp up (no doors) so that the rain and wind was coming off the water and would have soaked him. I tore it down and moved it so he wouldn't get wet (I don't know if you have kids, but all my son would need is one episode of getting wet and he would quit hammocking entirely). Well, as soon as I moved the tarp to take the wind broadside, the wind shifted and started coming in the end again. So I moved him again - same thing happened, and again - it happened once more. After four different setups, I finally found a shallow place where he would stay dry regardless of wind-blown precipitation. It was a less-than-ideal setup, but the best I could do to keep my son dry. I don't know about you, but if "site selection" is the solution to a small tarp, and takes an hour and a half to find a place, then site selection is not for me. The island was only so big.

I only had my HG standard with doors for about six months, but got wet at least five times before I decided to upgrade to the Winter Palace (and have never gotten wet again). And no, I'm not going to buy a UQP to make up for the inadequacies of my tarp - that just makes no sense to me! I want a tarp that doesn't need UQP help, and the Winter Palace is just that. The Superfly also fits the bill - never heard anybody complaining about getting wet under a Superfly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    I've stayed bone dry about 95%% with a HG Hex with an 11 foot hammock. This includes big storms. Outside of winter, I've only really wanted doors once or twice. The only times I got slightly wet, is when I had less than ideal hang sites or I wasn't paying attention to wind direction. Site selection is huge when you are using smaller tarps, you need to pay attention to prevailing winds, tree cover, terrain, etc. Most of my hiking is in New England, with a big chunk of it in the White Mountains, so there is usually lots of trees to help break the rain/wind.

Not knocking the large tarps, I love my superfly. I'll take it car camping but I'll rarely take it on the trail with me outside of winter.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I also think that weather and terrain have a huge impact on what tarp people feel is adequate. I just go too many different places where the winds are shifty and strong. I'm pretty sure that someone in Alabama could get by with a tiny asym tarp and feel it was perfectly adequate for 95% of storms. I lived in Alabama for 15 years and don't ever recall blowing precipitation with constantly-shifting 40 mph winds like we experience here in New Jersey.

And someone in south Jersey would probably do just fine with a small asym tarp. I've been camping in the Pine Barrens for about eight years, and there have only been three occasions where wind-blown precipitation was an issue. The weather is remarkably consistent in the Pine Barrens, so I can see how someone would conclude that they don't need a full-sized tarp with doors like the Superfly or Winter Palace.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    I guess the kind of hiking you do plays a big factor. If I was doing a short weekend trip I probably could spend the time looking for the perfect site. But after I have hiked 20-30 miles and it's starting to get dark I'm not in the mood to look for that perfect site. I always set my tarp up with sides against the wind and did this trip but that don't help when your hammock hangs below the sides of the tarp but still I don't think it was blowing rain that got me as much as splash from the ground. When your on the AT the ground at camp areas is bare and packed allowing a lot of mud splash. I guess I could venture into the grown up crap full of posison oak but with the heavy traffic on the at that's the last thing we need is people making more camp sites. I sure as heck am not bringing a UQ protector when I invested $315 to save weight

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Having seen the Dyneema Tarp in use by others, I opted to get the cheaper, slightly heavier Quest tarp. It offers more coverage, and still packs down small. I dont need to spend twice as much to save a few ounces. Personally, I think the whole Cuban fiber craze is not worth it.

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    Im glad I went with the WP. Your experience was duplicated by a few other posters when I was researching but seemed to not be the prevailing opinion.
    Like you said it seemed that site selection and your other methods worked for the other posters. I am new to hammock camping and look forward to how the more experienced hammockers reply. Thanks for posting your experience.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    No fault of the tarp. It fills a niche.

But I, too, got a wet UQ in hard, blowing rain. In most conditions, I'd rather have more tarp coverage than have to add an UQ Protector. I know the UQP adds additional protection, but in all but the worst conditions it's not needed with a proper tarp.

So I sold mine and have the Palace. Makes all the difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast