Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tarp Length for 11' Chameleon

Question for all you Chameleon or 11' hammock owners. What width tarp do I need? Will the 11' tarp give enough coverage on the ends when hammock is hung or do I need to get the 12' tarp for my 11' hammock? Thanks

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Txmiller View Post
    Question for all you Chameleon or 11' hammock owners. What width tarp do I need? Will the 11' tarp give enough coverage on the ends when hammock is hung or do I need to get the 12' tarp for my 11' hammock? Thanks
    Generally, yes, if you have an 11-foot (132" on the long edges) gathered-end hammock with a typical 110" structural ridge line, there will be approximately 11" of overhang at each gathered end with an 11-foot tarp (132" ridge line). (In practice there will be more like 9" to 10" since the tarp typically hangs in something closer to a catenary curve along the ridge line (even though it's cut straight), while the hammock ridge line is pulled more or less straight.) A 12-foot (144") tarp will have 15" to 17" of overhang, but it will have to be pitched 3" or 4" higher above the hammock to clear your suspension straps/whoopie slings at a proper (30-degree) hang angle.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    ^^^^ What Cowboy said. I use an 11' hammock and an 11' tarp and have about a foot or so coverage on either end. Plenty of room.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    +2 with what cowboy said lol. I just got the 12" Chill Gorilla hex to use with my 11' XLC. there is * PLENTY* of room on each end, but as he mentioned, I have to hang it higher to clear my whoopies. This can get tricky with some hangs for me since I typically hang my foot end higher and like here at home, one of my trees is on a down hill slope from the other. That means my foot end has to be hung much much further off the ground to even be level, let alone higher than the head end. This usually made my tarp RL come into contact with my suspension on the foot end every time. But after many many hangs I got it dialed in fairly well now and get the tarp RL level for the most part with minimal suspension contact. Out in the woods though I usually just get it close and am done with it lol. But having 12' tarp with an 11' hammock does give you quite a bit of room on the ends for you hammock to be under the tarp more if it rains.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    **EDIT** I forgot to add that I also use my 11' WL Old Man Winter with the XLC. And due to the uneven terrain and foot end being higher , the hammock suspension usually contacts right where my foot and doors are and leaves a small gap where the door rests on the whoopie. But when I'm hanging elsewhere, it works great and I still have plenty of clearance on each end. So either length tarp would be just fine I'd say, but you don't necessary need a 12', for me it's just nice to have the extra room .
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    11 foot hammock and 11 foot tarp works good enough and is what lots of hammockers have.
    Works better with doors when it’s raining.
    If tarp does not have doors, you can improvise with two ponchos—-one on each end. Or a poncho on one end and other end of tarp adjusted as best as you can.
    After setting up, even if you tried to make overhang equal on both ends, one end can have more overhang or shelter, and the other end less overhang. You can put poncho on short end, and other end might not need as much help because it has the extra overhang.
    You will be able to develop your own solutions to weather as you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts