Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock failure now what ??

I just climbed into my hammock last night for the first of many winter hammock’n outings , unfortunately the hammock ripped itself apart as I lay back and I fell damaging my UQ as I then rolled along the wet snow ground tangled in down and suspension.
    Now sure I was disappointed but I had no other sleep system to “fall back on”
    I spent the night shivering in the wet mud lying on a ground sheet with my UQ below (useless) . I was so looking forward to these few nights hanging in the bush , what a disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear this mate, did you manage to stoke up the fire if you were able to get one going that is..... and the TQ could this give you at least something to aid you until morning, man! Not good, mate how old was your hammock?
    I havnt given much thought to question what is the life span of a hammock..... however l will scope out to visual for set up, watching out for sharp scrub or rocks avoiding contact here for any abrasion, had this happen once before.
    I hope you were ok mate.....
    New hammock coming up for GoshD.... mate just saying l got a down -7 full length 185cm UQ if your stuck for another one.

What a terrible way to begin any trip, but I'd like to thank you for posting. Your misfortune, though painful for you, has the benefit of helping others like myself to at least think about how we'd handle similar situations. It's summertime around here, so that means it's too hot to do much, leaving time for gear maintenance and planning. I've been going through my "extras" bag thinking about how much redundant stuff to take and what I'd need to at least get through the night were something to fail. Your lesson is helpful at least to that extent, so many thanks for posting what I'm sure is a very aggravating circumstance to be in.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Thanks guys , i did have a fire but I didn’t want to get too close with what’s left of my down UQ/Tq , I spent a few hours sitting by the fire mixed with trying to Sleep on the gear , I haven’t slept out of a hammock for years ,
    There was no imperfections or damage to start the tear , the hammock is a very light hammock purported to be the lightest hammock in the world, I don’t want to name it unless I feel hard done with there response .
    I can fix the UQ thank you for the offer ! So cool
    I should of at least had other equipment in the car so the next day I could of gone back and continued the getaway , I couldn’t even buy one as it’s Sunday

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    ...the hammock is a very light hammock purported to be the lightest hammock in the world...
    Understood I guess, but would be great to see pics of the damage to let folks here figure out what happened. More for us to understand the failure and what to look for rather than to blame - but yeah, blaming could be a result.

So sorry for your experience, I feel for ya. This is one of the reasons I've been inclined to take a small inflatable pad on longer hikes, or even some overniters when I take a bigger pack. Its the fear in the back of my mind that something like your circumstance will happen and I'll be on the ground, like you were. Hasn't happened in 12+ years of hanging, but I still have that urge to take the pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    Thanks guys , i did have a fire but I didn’t want to get too close with what’s left of my down UQ/Tq , I spent a few hours sitting by the fire mixed with trying to Sleep on the gear , I haven’t slept out of a hammock for years ,
    There was no imperfections or damage to start the tear , the hammock is a very light hammock purported to be the lightest hammock in the world, I don’t want to name it unless I feel hard done with there response .
    I can fix the UQ thank you for the offer ! So cool
    I should of at least had other equipment in the car so the next day I could of gone back and continued the getaway , I couldn’t even buy one as it’s Sunday

That's definitely something to think about, keeping a backup hammock in the car for emergencies. Not a fun night I'm sure, glad you were able to suffer through it. It can always be worse!

If it's the "lightest hammock in the world" then the fabric is likely thinner than most and may more prone to these types of failures. Good luck with their customer service!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    ...If it's the "lightest hammock in the world" then the fabric is likely thinner than most and may more prone to these types of failures. Good luck with their customer service!
    Nothing should be prone to failures. IMO, BIAS has the lightest camping hammock in the world at 6.7oz that includes a ridgeline. And this is with about 40% more material than the hammock I believe he might be talking about - there's a handful out there competing for the right to call themselves the lightest hammock, none of which I would want to camp in overnite. There simply is no reason to pay these retail guys more for less hammock.

My 1.0 older DIY (not me) is 10.5'x65" and is 8oz with ridgeline, loops and knotty mod. Its been only recently that I've started to see some stress on the channel stitches. Failures happen, of course, like Shug's green bean. But only age and use should be factors in the expectation of potential failure, not lightweight material - though you might have to baby it more.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dream Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBTF
    What was the weight rating of the hammock, and how much weight was it holding when it failed?

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I am sorry to hear of your challenge. Do not know it helps, but I also had a hammock fail on me. I was not in snow but it did get to -1*c. that night. In my case I was in up-state New York on the Appalachian Trail. I set up my hammock and the extra sag caused by the suspension tightening lowered the Hammock just enough to drag on a granite rock. When I went to get out to re-set the suspension. RIP. Right across the middle. This was at 8:30 in the evening.... long time until daylight. Lucky for me I was still using a pad at the time. I ended up lowering the tarp as low as it would go and passed a very cold night. At least I had dry ground.

Sorry for your experence, I hope you get back out in the bush soon.

Size2.7m x 1.4m (comfortable for people up to 6ft 5in and 100kg)
    ColourOlive green, Sunset orange
    Weight280g (Excluding pegs & guys)
    IncludesSuperLight Hammock, Whoopie Suspension System, Stuff sack
    Weight limit100 kg

This is the specs for the hammock on there web site ( don’t why you need pegs and guys)

Im 87 kg so well under the limit
    I am having trouble adding pics

Nothing attributed to the beginning of the tear I have only used it a few times and there is no UV damage, I bought it about 2 and half years ago at around 130 Aussie that’s about 110 USD , due to favourable exchange rates today it’s selling for 75 USD
    so no cheapie from Amazon!
    I tried making a hammock with the woopies from my blue plastic ground sheet but at 6ft it just made a crappie gear hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast