Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing Machine Recommendations? (Certain features desired)

I'm looking for recommendations on a new sewing machine.

Currently I've been spoiled by being able to borrow a really nice Janome NQM machine from the library. I've also used more simple Kenmore machines and love the features on the Janome. I'm really bad at keeping free handing stitches - I usually rely on using a presser foot that has a metal guide on it.

When I'm looking at machines, how can I tell if it will be strong enough to sew through webbing?

Specifically, I want a machine that can:
    1.) Sew through webbing
    2.) Allow the adjustment of the needle position left to right
    3.) Has thread cutting/trimming capability
    4.) Not as important, but I've seen some machines that also have a plastic slide guide on the table.

I don't have a fixed budget, but would prefer to stay under $500.

One I found that meets some of these requirements is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._rd_i=12899091

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I bought this machine in February, and have been mightily impressed so far:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Janome-JW...ories/52536807

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    In terms of new machines, I see the Singer Heavy Duty 4423 recommended often. Decent price and features. I usually recommend looking at older machines that can be found for under $50 but that does require a little more effort by going to thrift stores etc or asking around your friends and family. Still worth doing if you want to save money.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Can't give you many recommendations as I went straight up to an industrial. However half your features will be met by any modern machine.

Anything modern should make it through two layers of webbing. It might complain, the tension will probably need to be tweaked but for basic DIY stuff I wouldn't sweat that. My original borrowed machine was a 10 year old quilting Singer machine. While it struggled a little with webbing it made it through. The lower tension needed to be just right or it tended to birds nest. Its "upgrade", an old Singer 327K, easily powers through 6 layers of webbing without complaint but is a pretty bare bones 55 year old machine. Got it for $6 at a thrift store. You don't need to spend big bucks to make some tree huggers or deal with a little webbing.

All the modern machines I've seen will let you tweak the needle position. I know my industrial wont but that can be tweaked with different feet. It's not something that I miss myself. Feeding the fabric right in either case is still needed.

Thread cutting won't be seen on most cheap or basic machines. Same with a needle positioner. Both are great and I wouldn't want to be without either if I could avoid it. They really are great time savers. Bonus points if you can get auto-backtacking on the start and stop.

Plastic guide isn't too important. If you look to the left of the feed dogs you'll see two screw holes on just about all machines. They make swing away sewing guides and hemmer feet that can attach there. Generally pretty cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Cutex-Adjusta...dp/B075WB41N3/

You can also get little magnet blocks for like two bucks that do about the same thing.

Really the only part that you're going to pay for is the thread trimmer. Beyond that everything else on your list can be served by almost anything you can get your hands on. The Singer 4423 Heavy Duty ones are often reocmmended and there's even a thread floating around about them. They won't do thread trimming though.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I have been using a Singer 4411 ... it's inexpensive and has handled everything (TQ, UG, GE Hammock, Tarp) I have tried to make without breaking a sweat .... it runs through pretty much anything .... for gear making I think it may be all you need.

Brian

I just bought the singer 4423 in april. Nice machine but if I had to do it over Id get a janome mod 19. The singer is just way to much machine the thing flies. I learned that with the new singer no beer before use and I really need a slower machine!

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman3006 View Post
    I just bought the singer 4423 in april. Nice machine but if I had to do it over Id get a janome mod 19. The singer is just way to much machine the thing flies. I learned that with the new singer no beer before use and I really need a slower machine!
    I felt the same way when I first got my 4423. However, after using it for a while, either the pedal became less touchy or I got used to it because I don't have a problem controlling the speed anymore. I agree though that the machine is too fast for me too. I never use it at full speed except when reloading the bobbin, so that option is pretty much wasted on me. I approach DIY as very much a recreational activity however, so I am rarely in a hurry when making something.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Singer 4423 is 100% Cowboy-approved for all your hammock gear projects.

It has the ruggedness, relative economy, focused engineering, and ruthless efficiency of a Kalashnikov.

The 4411, 4423, and 4432 will all get the job done; they only differ in the stitch selection.

There are nicer machines out there to be sure, but a Singer Heavy Duty is all you need; with its solid frame, strong motor, and all-mechanical controls it will churn out the stitches and bulldoze its way through anything under the presser foot while taking a lot of abuse and providing good results without any troubleshooting.

At $150 or less (the cost of servicing a more refined machine), you don't have to baby it, so it's pretty hard to beat.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wooki & Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I went with the Husqvarna Viking Emerald 118 made famous in the Jellyfish series of videos. It was about $500 but I paid in Canadian dollars so I am sure you can find it well under that.

The features Jellyfish highlights to great effect are the needle position button and the speed control. These two features are incredibly useful for giving you control over where you are placing your stitches.

I highly recommend you watch some of her videos and see why these are so valuable.

Another fact about these machines that appealed to me was that they are considered bulletproof.

These machines are commonly used in schools and learning environments because of their durability and ability to stand up to abuse.

I have seen the 118 sew easily through 7 layers of heavy denim without any troubles at all. Webbing is not an issue as it will easily penetrate multiple layers.

I'm incredibly happy with this machine and would easily recommend it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I have been using a Singer 4411 ... it's inexpensive and has handled everything (TQ, UG, GE Hammock, Tarp) I have tried to make without breaking a sweat .... it runs through pretty much anything .... for gear making I think it may be all you need.

Brian
    I bought this same machine, as I don't need 20-something stitches. As far as I can tell, it's the same otherwise. I got mine brand new for < $100 shipped on Amazon, and love it. It has all of the features (perhaps besides the slide guide, I have no idea what that is) you're looking for at a great price, and typical Singer reliability.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast