Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies

Continuous ridgelines - storage / snakeskins

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering how you prefer to store your tarp continuous ridgelines when they are not in use or when the tarp is in it's snakeskin. Do you keep the ridgeline attached to the tarp at all times? Or do you disconnect the tarp from the line when you're taking down camp? As for snakeskins, do you prefer them with both the ridgeline and the tarp in them, or line outside, tarp inside?

There's no real serious reason for the question, just wanted to hear different opinions! I currently have my CR on my secondary tarp that I don't have a sleeve for yet, but since they are just so nice I am thinking or grabbing one for my main tarp which currently uses Flyz.

I usually keep my ridge line separate (in one of my pack hip pockets) from the CF tarp when backpacking. It allows me to set up the ridgeline if its raining while still wearing my pack and then quickly attach the tarp with skins. For other camping, I use a Superfly without a ridgeline. It works for me.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG burra
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering how you prefer to store your tarp continuous ridgelines when they are not in use or when the tarp is in it's snakeskin. Do you keep the ridgeline attached to the tarp at all times? Or do you disconnect the tarp from the line when you're taking down camp? As for snakeskins, do you prefer them with both the ridgeline and the tarp in them, or line outside, tarp inside?

There's no real serious reason for the question, just wanted to hear different opinions! I currently have my CR on my secondary tarp that I don't have a sleeve for yet, but since they are just so nice I am thinking or grabbing one for my main tarp which currently uses Flyz.
    Iíve went back and forth. However, if using a continual ridge line for my tarp (all my tarps have their own skins) it worked better for me to string it through the skins so I could have a place to skip my skins. I got tired of the Prussik loops getting so tight sliding the weight of a wet tarp and fighting it, that, that is what made me go back to end out rigging. This also allows for a place to stretch out the skins rather than binding together with a CRL lead. (This isnít so bad if they are mesh but can be bulky if fabric and you donít have enough lead on your prussiked loops or attachment points.

Umm I donít like the crl for tarp anymore. But if I do it more Iíluse the lighter tarps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Volcanoes and waterfalls, trees and hammocks,
    Columbia River gorge, in Benson Burner's attic.
    http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Separating rigging is just begging to walk off and leave pieces behind or otherwise lose them. I think there's a recent thread on here about someone dropping their whoopie slings and having to do some serious rigging to prevent "going to ground". I'm way too lazy to pull the ridgeline or guylines off. They all stay attached but hanked nicely so it's quick to deploy. This makes setting up quick but breaking down a bit slow. All 3 of my tarps are rigged basically the same way.

I use a continuous ridgeline of 2.2mm zing it, probably longer than I really need most of the time. The tarp connects with some klemheist knots using some Atwood MicroCord (about 100lb break strength). These hold better in one direction than the other and don't seem to lock up nearly as badly as prusiks. The SuperFly goes under the ridgeline since it has a cat-cut. My MacCat Ultra goes over the line. It's got a flat ridgeline and seems to work better this way. Over all that goes a snakeskin (either mesh or silnylon).

The tarp goes in the outside pocket of my pack. First thing when I hit camp the tarp normally goes up. If it's bright and sunny then it just stays in the snakeskins. If the weather is foul of course that's the first thing set up so I have a place out of the rain to collect my thoughts, get some water boiling, etc. I've been using this system for about the last 10 years and it works for me. YMMV.

Hammock
    DH Darien #6235, #7111
    Tarp
    HG hex, hex w/door
    Insulation
    Enigma, Incubator
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Separating rigging is just begging to walk off and leave pieces behind or otherwise lose them. I think there's a recent thread on here about someone dropping their whoopie slings and having to do some serious rigging to prevent "going to ground". I'm way too lazy to pull the ridgeline or guylines off. They all stay attached but hanked nicely so it's quick to deploy. This makes setting up quick but breaking down a bit slow. All 3 of my tarps are rigged basically the same way.

I use a continuous ridgeline of 2.2mm zing it, probably longer than I really need most of the time. The tarp connects with some klemheist knots using some Atwood MicroCord (about 100lb break strength). These hold better in one direction than the other and don't seem to lock up nearly as badly as prusiks. The SuperFly goes under the ridgeline since it has a cat-cut. My MacCat Ultra goes over the line. It's got a flat ridgeline and seems to work better this way. Over all that goes a snakeskin (either mesh or silnylon).

The tarp goes in the outside pocket of my pack. First thing when I hit camp the tarp normally goes up. If it's bright and sunny then it just stays in the snakeskins. If the weather is foul of course that's the first thing set up so I have a place out of the rain to collect my thoughts, get some water boiling, etc. I've been using this system for about the last 10 years and it works for me. YMMV.
    Ditto. Cord is cheep.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter, Instagram

ďTo equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.Ē ~ Horace Kephart, 1906

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    When I went to a CR for my tarp, I tried to keep it with the tarp in the skins. But, it seemed to tangle a bit when deploying. Then I started removing the CR and fig-8 hanking it and storing it in my pack pocket with my tree straps. I like this method much better; no more tangles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Chameleon clone
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Suspension
    WB Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    When I went to a CR for my tarp, I tried to keep it with the tarp in the skins. But, it seemed to tangle a bit when deploying. Then I started removing the CR and fig-8 hanking it and storing it in my pack pocket with my tree straps. I like this method much better; no more tangles.
    Ditto. 'Cept I keep my CRL in my stake bag, so all my tarp cordage is in one place.
    "Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." -Mark Twain

My CR is hanked in a figure 8 and stuffed into the top of the tarp stuff sack. I don't use snake skins. When I set up the first thing out of the pack is the tarp stuff sack. Since the CR is on top within the stuff sack it's first out and first up if necessary. Breaking down I remove tarp from ridgeline, stuff it in the sack, figure 8 the ridgeline and stuff it on top, close the drawstrings and put the sack in the pack.
    Cheers.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    When I use a CRL I fig-8 it and put it in my suspension kit if the weather is nice or in my hip pocket if it's potentially nasty.

This season I switched to two separate RL's, about 12' each. Initially, I was doing the same as above. I may leave them fig-8'd to the tarp.. not sure. Truth told, not sure I am sold on the split RL's. They aren't as simple to deploy as a single line; I can't hang the RL and leave the tarp off until it's needed and it's two things to lose rather than one. But this is another story....
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    This season I switched to two separate RL's, about 12' each. Initially, I was doing the same as above. I may leave them fig-8'd to the tarp.. not sure. Truth told, not sure I am sold on the split RL's. They aren't as simple to deploy as a single line; I can't hang the RL and leave the tarp off until it's needed and it's two things to lose rather than one. But this is another story....
    I leave my split ridgeline attached to the ends of my tarp, in a figure-8. When deploying, I keep the tarp in the stuff sack when doing the first side, and I bring the ridgeline around the tree and back to the tarp, creating a "V". It's quick and easy and there's nothing to lose.

tarp.jpg

No hardware, just prusiks and button knots, both of which stay tied and never have to be retied.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast