WBBB
    Tarp
    Palace
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Mantis

Mesh Sleeve - A Must Have

I’m currently section hiking the AT, my 3rd outing but first using Hammock Gear’s Mesh Sleeve, or any sleeve while hiking.

Sliding the sleeve over my hammock in the morning, then rolling it up and stuffing the sleeved hammock in my pack is actually a pleasure. No stuff sack necessary, and the item conforms to the pack space. I’m saving volume and time with this mesh sleeve. Unleashing the hammock in the afternoons is nice also.

This one piece sleeve will always be in my pack.

I've come to the same conclusion, got a WL slug tube to keep the quilts in an attached as well. I'm really digging it.

Hammock
    DIY Orange Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema+Becket
    I prefer my bishop bag because it gives me a convenient place to stash my tree straps. I also use it to stash various items during the day like stuff sacks, extra stakes, etc.

My straps get soaked when it rains. I like having the option of keeping every thing I need to stay dry together and everything that gets wet separate. The hammock sleeve or slug tube are more convenient for me, especially when I'm tired or its 2am and were just getting to camp. Just find it more simple.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG CF Tarp w/doors
    Insulation
    HGTQ WB Yeti
    Suspension
    CF/Poly Ti clips
    In two days I leave for a month-long trip, first time out with a hammock. Pardon if this is a silly question. Just bought the mesh sleeve, planning to use it for my CF tarp, not the hammock. Anyone tried this? The sleeve seems too narrow to fit the tarp, but i haven't actually tired it yet. Plan to do that today.

Second question: I plan to store the tarp in an outside pocket, which is also mesh. Concerned about brush tearing thru both layers of mesh into the tarp. (No bushwhacking on this trip). Thoughts?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I used to use a tube and now not so much. I'll probably use one again but meh.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Where are you hiking? I can't imagine you should have much worry about the mesh tearing. I do this very same thing, put the mesh-skinned tarp in the mesh large back pocket of one of my ULA packs. And its likely you'll have no problem with the mesh skin fitting the tarp. I roll my tarp first.

I go back and forth on the mesh hammock sleeve, but when I use it I find I like the much reduced fiddle of connecting UQ, etc. Since I stuff quilts in the bottom of my pack, breakdown is not as much of a convenience factor with the sleeve. I find packing the sleeve a bit of a pain at first, primarily because its a bit unwieldy to handle. Its like I need a mesh bag to control the form of the fat mesh sleeve, LOL.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 8.4 oz 11' Robic XL hammock
    Tarp
    1.1 oz silpoly hex
    Insulation
    900Fill 0* quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and UCRs
    Images
    What weight of mesh would you suggest? I've been thinking about DIYing one of these.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevye View Post
    Just bought the mesh sleeve, planning to use it for my CF tarp, not the hammock. Anyone tried this? The sleeve seems too narrow to fit the tarp, but i haven't actually tired it yet.
    What sleeves (HG as in OP?) and what tarp? I can tell you that the silnylon sleeve I have for my Superfly looks to be way too small in diameter, but fits the wider tarp just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tevye View Post
    Concerned about brush tearing thru both layers of mesh into the tarp. (No bushwhacking on this trip). Thoughts?
    Valid concern. I've heard of hikers using hair ties around the sleeve for a variety of reasons... maybe they would help protect the tarp and mesh, too.

• + New Posts