DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Synthetic underquilts and rain protection

While I'm sure it's still a good idea to use an underquilt protector on an AHE synthetic underquilt, is it necessary in the "be prepared" sense? Does use of APEX mean I don't need to carry around a UQP?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Your tarp should be your #1 rain protector. From there I have never once used an UQP...with any insulation type. Not that I am against them. They can serve a useful purpose but it should not be your main way of keeping moisture off of a quilt. They can help to block wind from pulling heat and they can help if you're experiencing a lot of splashes up from rain....but again a properly sized tarp and that should be difficult. No matter what you don't want a significant amount of moisture on your quilts. But we do use a very high-quality fabric that is treated with a good DWR (durable water repellent) from the fabric mill here in the US. Light misting should shake right off the fabric and never make it to the insulation.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    There are no absolutes, but to varying degrees depending upon your environmental conditions and the degree to which your gear gets wet (as well as how and how quickly you're able to get it dry again) , I believe your Climashield synthetic underquilt should continue to perform better and suffer less long-term damage after getting wet than a comparably rated down quilt. While CS synthetic insulation can suffer long-term degradation from repeated compression cycles, it doesn't generally shift, clump, or mat, and it still provides some appreciable thermal value if it gets damp. My $0.02...
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    There are no absolutes, but to varying degrees depending upon your environmental conditions and the degree to which your gear gets wet (as well as how and how quickly you're able to get it dry again) , I believe your Climashield synthetic underquilt should continue to perform better and suffer less long-term damage after getting wet than a comparably rated down quilt. While CS synthetic insulation can suffer long-term degradation from repeated compression cycles, it doesn't generally shift, clump, or mat, and it still provides some appreciable thermal value if it gets damp. My $0.02...
    Is there a good estimate on CS breakdown stats vs down? Given the fairly small weight increase and the fact that I don't plan on massively long trips, I'm leaning toward CS if it will hold up well.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I doubt the degradation statistics for which you're looking are easy to find.

Climashield doesn't pack down nearly as efficiently as down, but for warmer weather the size and weight penalties are minimized, so unless I'm trying to go really ultralight (which I never am), synthetic -- even with its trade-offs -- is always an acceptable alternative for me under those conditions. I own both down and synthetic quilts for all temperatures above the freezing mark. Only when I am doing deep winter camping (20s or below) do I find Climashield too bulky and heavy to be practical. My $0.02. YMMV.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I agree w/ Kitsapcowboy on this. My 40° and 20° underquilts are CS, but my 0° is down. My reasoning is that in temps above freezing I am more likely to get some wetness. For instance a recent 3 day trip where it rained almost non-stop for 48 hours along with a steady mist. Everything was just damp through and through.

I use down as well, when compressability matters and there is appreciable weight savings - for instance my 20° and 0° topquilts are both down while my 40° is CS. The down 20° just compresses better.

For the original question, I don't routinely carry an UQP and rely on my Winter Dream tarp more than anything. If I am expecting true gully-washing downpours where splash might be an issue, or I want to use a smaller tarp but might get a cold or breezy night, I'll throw in my UQP (my hex tarp and UQP are lighter together than my Winter Dream alone). But I don't routinely carry it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    I just got back from a trip to FL that included some of the remainder of TS Alberto. I used a 12' Hex tarp and Climashield UQ (both DIY). No rain penetrated the tarp and no splashing from underneath. Everything stayed totally dry except for some condensation under the tarp. I choose Climashield due to severe allergies and my backpacking days are behind me so no weight penalty. My UQ gets wetter from breaking camp in the rain than from rain/splash under the tarp.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    Is there a good estimate on CS breakdown stats vs down? Given the fairly small weight increase and the fact that I don't plan on massively long trips, I'm leaning toward CS if it will hold up well.
    Last year I heard from the person who has the very first quilt we made...9+ years ago now. It's still in use regularly and performing just fine. And that was 2 generations ago's Climashield. The new APEX performs even better and recovers from hard use much better. And since that first quilt, we have built somewhere over 10,000 Climasheild quilts.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the replies all. I wasn't really feeling the UQP, but now I feel like I'm validated in that opinion

A CS UQ is now on my list of (future) purchases, and I feel like the only reasonable place to get it would be AHE unless I find a used one for sale that I pick up.

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast