Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    Sorry if I am letting folks know your secrets, AS... but IIRC, you said that MacCat Ultra was stowed away for the future, when your black MacCat wears out.
    I think 'had been stowed away' is the best description.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrToot View Post
    That looks great on function and quality. I am curious how you / they determined what size the doors would be. Did you pick a pitch angle or distance or ...?
    We hung the tarp and played around with pitch angles. I decided to go a little fatter than thinner in pitch. I wanted to have enough door overlap for those that may pitch fatter with a BMBH or just like it that way. I do myself. But then I use the same tarp year round. I found the doors are handy in blowing rain conditions as well as for winter use.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza View Post
    Very nice looking mod. I might consider that mod for my MacCat Deluxe. Don't need it really now but it would be cool. After getting my Superfly I am really liking doors. I don't see the mod listed on the 2Q/ZQ site yet. Would be interested to know how much the mod costs.
    We will have pics (Thanks to AngrySparrow) and information on our website this week. The charge will be $36.00 for one set (enclosing one end of the tarp) plus return shipping.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 02-23-2010 at 08:51.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Also, do you notice any wind noise when the doors are rolled up and secured? Curious is the doors being bundled up are secure enough to keep them from flapping a bit, creating noise.
    About the weight...we will weigh the next set we do and post it here and the website. It has to be less then the Grizz beak, probably 1/2 the weight, so probably 3 oz. is a guess.

About the door noise, I usually roll the door up to the tarp and secure it versus a gather and secure approach. Makes it tighter and less noticeable.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    About the weight...we will weigh the next set we do and post it here and the website. It has to be less then the Grizz beak, probably 1/2 the weight, so probably 3 oz. is a guess.

About the door noise, I usually roll the door up to the tarp and secure it versus a gather and secure approach. Makes it tighter and less noticeable.
    What are your plans for the Spinn OES tarps? Are you going to offer sewn on doors for them also? Would they be made out of Spinn or Silnylon? Would their be a price difference?

I am interested in sewing on some doors to my OES Spinn Deluxe.

Thanks,

dg

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I would go with Sil doors, were it my tarp.

Spinn doors are kind of a nightmare. Unless you have your tarp pitched *just* right, they are never tight and any looseness accentuates the noise of the Spinn fabric in the wind.

I have tinkered with a prototype OES tarp with spinn doors with no good result. And Brandon from Warbonnet makes only Sil doors (even for his Spinn tarps) for that reason.

Just my .02
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    ZQ here.....Angrysparrow, Thanks for answering the question about using spinn for the doors.

About putting the doors on a spinn OES tarp....As long as the tarp is a deluxe or ultra, and the sizes are the same as a slynylon OES, there shouldn't be a problem putting Silnylon doors on your spinn.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 02-23-2010 at 13:10.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    We will have pics (Thanks to AngrySparrow) and information on our website this week. The charge will be $36.00 for one set (enclosing one end of the tarp) plus return shipping.
    Great! I'll definitely be sending my tarp in for the mod then when you have it up on the website.

Images
    OK, this looks great! But, these are sewn on permanently, correct? So what would be the pros and cons of this vs the Griz Beak(GB)? Obviously, the beak is removable and can be left home entirely, or just one could be taken and added to the windward side as needed. So there might be a potential weight savings, I suppose.

But what are the advantages of this compared to the GB? Maybe more stable and wind proof? And, you would not have to bother to attach anything once in camp. Anything else? Stronger?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I would go with Sil doors, were it my tarp.

Spinn doors are kind of a nightmare. Unless you have your tarp pitched *just* right, they are never tight and any looseness accentuates the noise of the Spinn fabric in the wind.

I have tinkered with a prototype OES tarp with spinn doors with no good result. And Brandon from Warbonnet makes only Sil doors (even for his Spinn tarps) for that reason.

Just my .02
    That was kind of what I thought when we played around with them on that day hike to "Virgil Cain" ( actually, Spring Hill) cemetery. I had the feeling that sil's stretchability might have actually been a benefit on those doors, and you wouldn't really need the extra waterproofness of spin. It(sil) would add a very small amount of weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast