Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.

The “V” gap in tarp guyouts for suspension to run through

Just wondering how you all secure your tarp to the tree, with the V shape that provides room for your suspension to pass through or just a straight line that can sometimes bump up against your suspension if you’re swinging. I’ve used Dutch flys on all my tarps for years (with the line threaded through the two holes as intended), but since getting a SF I decided to try attaching the flyz directly to the split rings. I like the split ring concept for simplicity as well as having the lines more easily separable for setup/storage however I find myself missing the V a lot too though. Any Ideas? Thinking of upgrading to stingers so they can be clipped onto the split ring but still allow the V to. be utilized.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The V, to me, is just a ridiculous idea. It is a solution to a problem I don't have and have never had. But hey, rock on with your V self if you want!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    Too hot in FL
    Suspension
    DIY dyneema D.C.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The V, to me, is just a ridiculous idea. It is a solution to a problem I don't have and have never had. But hey, rock on with your V self if you want!
    So if your tree distance is such that your suspension is hung a fair bit higher than your tarp RL, do you just let the suspension bump into the guy lines and just not worry about it IÂ’ve or do you have another method for keeping them away from each other? IÂ’ve just been using the V that naturally occurs with tarp flyz for so long that itÂ’s what IÂ’m the most used to. IÂ’m getting better at pitching with a single line and having any overlap ir bumi

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If I'm picturing your set-up correctly, it should be no problem to create a V. Just do what I did with my Stingerz. In you case, the Flyz would do the job of the Stingerz.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    For me, the straight RL (either continuous or split) is fine.

It seems that the V might make it a little more complicated to re-center the tarp when pitching.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It seems that the V might make it a little more complicated to re-center the tarp when pitching.
    Not at all; especially when you're using hardware like the Stingerz. It doesn't really take me more time than with a single ridgeline and prussiks, which was what I used before. It's just a different technique.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Not at all; especially when you're using hardware like the Stingerz. It doesn't really take me more time than with a single ridgeline and prussiks, which was what I used before. It's just a different technique.
    Thanks for the clarification. I've only played around with the V a bit.

My natural inclination is to find the absolutely simplest, no-hardware solution, so I did not pursue it further.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You could do a V without hardware as well if you wanted, I guess. I would simply use a line with a loop at one end, and a prusik on the other. Larkshead either the prusik or the loop onto the tarp. Put the line around the tree, and attach either the loop or the prusik to the tarp with a toggle or a knot. Then use move the prusik to center the tarp. My problem with prusiks was that they tended to slip a little under too much tension, and they could be a bit difficult to move, especially when wet. The hardware solved both problems for me.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I have numerous tarps with their own setups all tucked into snakeskins. They are all setup with continuous ridge lines using hardware, Dutch bling, Loop aliens, Nama clips etc.. On my single hammock tarps I use the "V" setup with Dutch stingerz and/or loop aliens with nama clips to attach the tarp to the CRL. On my larger tarps which I use for duo hammock setups using a spreader bar, I like the Dutch hook at the head end which keeps the tarp line between the 2 hammocks and a Dutch stingerz or loop alien at the foot end which gives me the "V" to minimize hammock strap contact with the CRL.

There a lot of setup combinations but this is what I currently use. I really love the nama clips to suspend the tarp. Light, strong and easy to adjust along the CRL.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I used to have the tarp flyz on the split ring and it worked well on the Superfly. The issue I ran into was large circumference trees that required me to move the tarp flyz onto the cordage (or have longer cordage). So know I’ve got all my tarp flyz on the line itself so they can move up and down the line as needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast