WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Pad and UQ

Hi everyone. I am new to hanging. I have a WBRR DL and a Klymit Static V pad. I have made one trip so far to the Adirondacks and used the RR with a Spindrift sock, the Klymit pad and 20 degree down sleeping bag. I had no problem sleeping warm. I am not planning on using the sock during the summer months and want to leave the down bag behind to save some space and weight. I have some other equipment on-hand: a Pine Down Blanket, a Snugpak Hammock Underblanket and a military survival blanket. Ultimately, I plan on getting a true UQ for the RR, but for now I am interested in your thoughts and advice on what combinations (minus the sock and sleeping bag) might work best for night time temps down to the 40's. Thanks in advance.

I have an insulated Static V (R4.4, I think) which worked down to the 30's for me, except for where my shoulders/knees/feet would migrate off the pad at night. I also have a Pine Down Blanket that I slid shock cord down the long sides and have made into an underquilt. I've only slept in the 60's in my yard, so far, but it was really nice to be able to spread out. The Pine is supposed to be rated somewhere around 40 as a topquilt, but no idea how that would translate into underquilt. I'm sure there's a conversion chart on the inner-pocket of my old Pee-Chee folders...

Either way, I'd try the Pine as an underquilt at home to see how it works for you. You can always combine the pad and any UQ since they don't specifically interfere with one another.
    Last edited by dustin; 06-12-2018 at 13:04.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Personally speaking, I think its pretty clear... use the same pad due to weight, and use the Pine top quilt.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts