WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    KAQ; MAMW
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hawn State Park Itinerary

Hi all - I'm heading to Hawn State Park this coming weekend, and would like some ideas on an itinerary. I'll probably get there Fri night around 7pm, so most likely no hiking that day. And, I'll be there till Sunday afternoon.

Could some veterans help me with some ideas on routes and campsites? No need for major miles - up to 10-ish a day would be just fine.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by historyteacher View Post
    Hi all - I'm heading to Hawn State Park this coming weekend, and would like some ideas on an itinerary. I'll probably get there Fri night around 7pm, so most likely no hiking that day. And, I'll be there till Sunday afternoon.

Could some veterans help me with some ideas on routes and campsites? No need for major miles - up to 10-ish a day would be just fine.
    You'll love it. Whispering Pines trail is outstanding. Recommend you do it counter clock wise and do the larger total outer loop. At the extreme southern end, be sure to take the little spur trail; it leads to a nice little water feature. Water in Pickle creek is reliable all year but you only are along that during the first miles. If you want to camp, there's a nice established camp site in a pine forest, close to water. If you start at the trail head and go counter clockwise it's only a few miles in on the right/west side of the trial. Great hanging location. Ticks WILL be bad, highly recommend you spray all outer clothing, socks, shoes, etc. with Permethrin.

Won’t be a lot of views due to the vegetation but the areas along the creeks are nice.

Link to maps: https://mostateparks.com/trails/hawn-state-park

I would skip White oaks trail; not much to see. Another option is to do the trail clockwise and to end up at the campsite I mention along pickle creek for Saturday night. That leave a short but nice hike out Sunday morning. Then if you can fit it in, I’d drive to Pickle Springs Natural area and day hike that before heading home. It’s a beautiful loop hike that only takes 3 hours or so to hike and it would be a great place to have lunch. It’s worth the drive and it’s worth fitting it into your plan.

Link to web page: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-n...pickle-springs

Not sure which way you’re coming from but there’s a place called Midway Bar & Grill on hwy 32 that has great food and beer at reasonable prices. Their address is: 13551 MO-32, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670

I've spent years hiking/camping at Hawn with my family, you'll love it!

Gideon

• + New Posts