Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Hootenanny Hang 2018 - post fun report

Had a great time again at the Hootenanny Hang at Blackberry Blossom campground near Unicoi TN, as well all did. Thanks again to LD Cakes for making it happen, along with the fine folks running the camp and the 40 or so hammock souls who make it a hang.

Please use this thread to post pics, video, whatnot on the 2018 hang, thx.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Home safe, despite no AC in my car and construction delays on the interstate. Stopped a number of times to wet down Freia.

This was another great gathering. I'm so glad to meet new hangers and get to know some that I met last year better. One highlight for me was seeing Jeremy's (Bonefire Gear) new bridge hammock, which blends elements of Grizz's Ariel and my People's Bridge Hammock with plenty of Jeremy's own excellent engineering (best insulated bridge I've ever seen, and I've made all the others). He got the PBH feel exactly right and mastered the recessed spreaders that Grizz used in the Ariel. (I haven't tried that yet.)

Thanks to dakotaross for helping me evaluate my adjustable PBH and consulting next morning on possible future developments. I won't list all the other people who were kind enough to swap ideas with me, serve delicious food, make music, and just generally share smiles. This was a good time.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures, but I brought home many memories of good sights - including one mental snapshot of detail man and family, seen through the willow branches against the backdrop of the trees on the other side of the pond, pointing out a water snake.

Freia liked all the people, plus two other fine dogs.

Well done, LDC. I look forward to next year,

David

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks WV, It was so good to see you again and your sweet dog. Your salad you made was amazing and I want the recipe! I think you may have left your hat, is it missing from your gear?
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Thank you for the kind welcome.
    Mrs snwcmpr and I had a great time during our short visit.

Ken in NC
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Most amazing time at the Hootenanny hang 2018. My husband and I attended truly enjoyed our weekend getaway on our 29th wedding anniversary. This is my second hang event and Bill's first. Both empty nesters and Grandparents, our new venture to this hang was welcome as it has been a while since we have been able to get back into enjoying the great outdoors again...this time in hammocks. I will tell you that Blackberry Blossom farms was truly the perfect location for this event. Absolutely family friendly and a most welcoming group of people. LD Cakes, Emily and Medicine Woman, thank you so much for your helpfulness and information. Thank you for making us feel so very welcomed. Many new people and faces to meet. I can't say enough about the many different backgrounds and information communication in various hammock equipment. So much to learn as Bill and I start our newfound hobby.

The people were great, but let me just say, the food was absolutely incredible. So much delicious mouthwatering food, from the pulled pork and accompanied side dishes, to the blueberry cobbler (thank you Tacoma96 and Ester for showing us dutch oven techniques) cheesy grits with bacon, gumbo, roasted corn and potatoes. True outdoor cuisine! Saturday potluck was the kicker! Raffle and music included......wow! Well planned event with fun for all members of the family. ALL thumbs up and a fist bump. No excuses whatsoever to leave hungry.

If that's not enough, pair all that up with the beautiful awesomeness of Roan Mountain. Our group, which included Tacoma96 and Ester, Peeeeetey (did I add enough "e's?)

and Deb took a day to venture some hikes around Cloudland in Roan Mountain OMG! Not enough time to take in the amazing trails and sites all connected with the AT. Really truly inspiring to talk to the various hikers making their trip across. Someday, I would love to be on that end. YEAH!

Oh, I cannot say enough about the sweet little shop and the cleanliness of the bathhouse. Both add to the high quality of the event.

Did not get a chance to kayak but that's also something to look forward to in future events, and we do plan on making this one of our top yearly hangs. Looking forward to Future great hangs!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    "I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees."🌲🌲- Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Geez it's hot here in Charlotte!! Can we come back now? We had a great time and brought home memories to keep. Thanks to all .https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/...4-9b5erxDVXZmT

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    peeeeetey, Google baulks at elipsis ("..."); can't see your pics. Post full URL.
    Last edited by WV; 06-12-2018 at 11:31.

Hammock
    Circadian
    Tarp
    11 footer
    Insulation
    goose down
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Pics Pics..more Pics. Was there live bluegrass there like last year?

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Thanks again to all of you that made this event happen, from the fine folks at Blackberry Blossom, our community from the forums, the wonderful vendors and those that carried the torch of some that could not make it. A very special thanks to L.D.Cakes for making this possible for all of us to enjoy. I had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones. The weather was perfect, the music was great, the food.....OMG amazing.
    “ Do not correct a fool or he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will appreciate you.”
    ~ Bruce Lee

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Wow what a great hang. Cakes, Emily and the rest of the staff knocked this one out of the park. Such a wonderful place and the drive along the river on 321 was fabulous. We arrived on Friday a little after noon and met up with Athenawise and her Husband Bill. Got some advice where to set up our camp and checked out a few locations then narrowed it down to one. Got five of us on the site no problem. Friday evening we spent time catching up with people we have not seen since last summer and meeting new people which is always great. Ester and I made a Cherry Dump Cake as our contribution to the Friday Potluck which Michelle did an excellent job of coordinating. Michelle the pulled pork was great.

Saturday morning we made Cheesy Grits for the group which went fast YAY. Later I took Peeety (with and E), Deb, Ester, Athenawise, and Bill to Carvers Gap, but upon arrival there was no more parking so proceeded to alternate plan and parked at paid parking near the Rhododendron Gardens. (Think I spelled that right). We decided to hike some of the AT thinking I was going in the direction of the highest shelter on the AT. Ester broke off and the rest continued on the hike down the switchbacks. Upon return back to the parking lot we could not find Ester so me and Athenawise searched. Once we came back to the meeting area Ester was there with beautiful pictures of where we were supposed to go. LOL. So we had Ester lead us (Sherpa) down the trail to show us. Once at the split Peeety, Deb, Athenawise and I hiked up the trail to the Shelter for picture taken and signing the log. Ester since already seeing the shelter waited at the bottom of the split with Bill.

We left the area just in time as it started to rain and once arriving back at Blackberry Blossum Campground we were told they had no rain. We started preparation for the evening meal in which we made Blueberry Cobber. The evening meal was excellent and Athenawise you make a better Taco Salad than me by far. FIMB Chilli was awesome as always. Peeetys chicken was great stuff. The Rosin potatoes were excellent. Moonbear great job on corn. Cajunracer great gumbo stuff you rock. Bottom line the contributors to the meal if I missed your name, so sorry, you were great.

Raffle was excellent along the beautiful music that complimented this event. Great conversations with old and new friends. Learned some more about gear. Once again such a great time.

Sunday morning came were we packed up and said goodbyes. I have to admit I hit a low when I turned off 321 onto 421, but I realize that another great hang will be upon us soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast