Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    LNT has its place but like everything it gets taken waaaay too far and when someone actually comes up with scientific proof that screwing those spikes into trees is more damaging then straps then we have something to go on. You cant just look at it and say see that screw just looks mean and hurtful. They tap maple trees in much the same way to get the sap every year and have been for a long time and those trees get reused every year. So who is to say the straps are better? More yet if everyone found out that the only way to not damage the tree was to go back to sleeping on the ground would YOU make the sacrifice to save the trees?

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    tomsawyer222, you must believe me to be a 'treehugger' and am only upset because they hurt the poor trees. Did your parents not teach you about the word "assumption"? This thread has no opinions from me about the environmental impact of our hobby. My only concern about this product and its usage is how it affects everybody's ability to go out and have this hobby on anything beyond private land. Because when "recreational users" start boring holes in the trees in your State Parks and our National Parks, then don't think for an instant that those 'treehuggers' won't start sending in money to be sure we are not allowed to use evil hammocks in the wilds.

Think what you will about the treehuggers of the world. I have no issue with them, but am not a vocal supporter either. Regardless, the point is moot and has nothing to do with this thread.
    If the big problem is the fear of state parks not letting us hang then maybe we should direct energy in a positive direction towards that aim instead of boycotting byer or rei or anyone the manufacturers are not going to make people drill a hook in the tree or the rangers ban us from parks maybe who we need to educate the most is not the hangers but the rangers and there masters.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    It does not matter who you market the stuff too they will use it how they like. High powered fully automatic weapons are not marketed to civilians but they have them anyway

tyvek is not marketed to people for use as ground cloths and tarps but they use it that way people using things in unexpected ways is what hammocking is all about.
    Off topic, but that is completely wrong.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    when they tap maples don't they plug them a specific way to prevent later damage? when cordage is used on trees and the bark is visibly worn away isn't that proof? when treestraps are used and no bark is worn isn't that proof?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    If the big problem is the fear of state parks not letting us hang then maybe we should direct energy in a positive direction towards that aim instead of boycotting byer or rei or anyone the manufacturers are not going to make people drill a hook in the tree or the rangers ban us from parks maybe who we need to educate the most is not the hangers but the rangers and there masters.
    Agreed, and I do more than my share of exactly that. I speak with my local government. I participate in outdoor education events and I even provide a way for people interested in the hobby to come over or meet us somewhere to see what is available in the world of hammock camping. I even show them how to use a cord based suspension instead of only showing them what I think they should use (webbing or a tree wrap). The few times LNT has had a representative there, they cringed.

That in no way means that companies or individuals should be rewarded for bad behavior. As a consumer, the only way I can have an impact is to withhold my money and tell others why. I'm not asking anybody to boycott them along with me, just telling why I will not do business with them.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 02-22-2010 at 18:21.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ref103 View Post
    when they tap maples don't they plug them a specific way to prevent later damage? when cordage is used on trees and the bark is visibly worn away isn't that proof? when treestraps are used and no bark is worn isn't that proof?
    I have seen straps take plenty of bark off the trees

yes the trees are pluged and leaving the screw in would plug it

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben,Warbonnet
    Insulation
    CaveCreek, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avalonmorn View Post
    This tree huggin' bleeding heart liberal has your back, and I'm sure a lot of normal folk agree as well.
    I'm no tree hugger but that's just plain stupid! Ever heard of a tree strap? The problem I see with this is inexperienced people will think that's what you do. They should sell straps and have instuctions for people to go to the hardware store if they want to go the screw/eyebolt way.

Hard to believe REI would carry that.
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Stockton, New Jersey (along the Delaware River)
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    HG-4SCCCFT/WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/JRB MWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, DW baby
    Oh.....sorry...I was looking for HammockForums............My apologies!

Somehow I stumbled onto WB..

Seriously...Cannibal...You have a legitimate concern. I can see some idiot (sorry, inexperienced person) purchasing those bolts and actually attempt to screw them into a tree in some State or National Park. Hence why hammocking is discouraged or forbidden in some areas.

I can only say that when I was hanging last spring in the Delaware Water Gap National Park on the AT, I had to convince the Ranger who approached me that my 2 inch tree straps did little to disturb the tree bark on the trees I was hanging from. 20 minutes of demostrating and education did the trick.
    "Surround yourself with the best people you can find, delegate authority, and don't interfere."- RONALD REAGAN

"There is new life in the soil for every man. There is healing in the trees for tired minds and for our overburdened spirits, there is strength in the hills, if only we will lift up our eyes. Remember that nature is your great restorer." - CALVIN COOLIDGE

My Backpacking Site

just one more company to boycott, my list is getting longer but I am with you on that.

Hammock
    warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i use my treepstraps on the same tree in the same place each time i hang in the backyard and there is no sign of wear yet. and the rangers and their masters are the flipside i was talking about. more so their masters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast