Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps

seam ripping costco question

I think I saw someone post something on this, and I just wanted to know if there's any validity to it, and if this is already a post, sorry for the redundancy:

Does anyone know if it matters which way you seam rip a costco quilt? I thought I read someone say that more down was trapped in the shorter baffles than the longer... As if the quilt was made with vertical baffles before being injected with down, and then the horizontal baffles were sewn after. This would mean that more down is "trapped" by the horizontal baffles than the vertical. Therefore, it would be more "loft effective" to remove the horizontal baffles than the vertical.

Thanks all!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Images
    Yes, the long seams are sewn first, then it is stuffed and the short seams are sewn over it.

Direction really depends on what you are doing with it. For top quilts, it might just come down to personal preference. For side-channel underquilts, either way probably works. For clew underquilts like on the Gemini set, then lengthwise is preferred as the tension on the quilt is also lengthwise.

the takeaway is that you want the remaining seams to run in the direction of most tension.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    thanks a lot!!
    I know I (along with half the community) can prob mind screw myself, and make amazing arguments for why which direction is the TRUE direction for baffles to run... It could be like Dr. Seuss's "Butter Battle Book." Only it would be the "Baffle battle Book"

But I figured IF the quilts have a distinctive difference of which baffles make it more "down effective." Then maybe that trumps all, and determines which way I want to seam rip regardless.... It just so happens to work out that I would have picked that direction if all was the same anyway.
    I do agree with your tension on direction, quilt theory though... since these aren't cut differentially to protect the loft.
    thanks again!
    “All grown-ups were once children... but only few of them remember it.”

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    yeah, if you hold it up to strong sunlight, you can see which seams are holding the most down. removing the horizontal seams, leaving the lengthwise makes a HUGE difference to the loft and warm of the quilt. it's really noticeable

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    yeah, if you hold it up to strong sunlight, you can see which seams are holding the most down. removing the horizontal seams, leaving the lengthwise makes a HUGE difference to the loft and warm of the quilt. it's really noticeable
    Ripping the seams in EITHER direction makes a huge difference. Yes, the horizontal seams are stitched over the down and removing those would gain you maximum benefit. I have made them both ways and I just like the looks of the horizontal baffles better. Negligible difference in performance I would guess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

• + New Posts