Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images

Final material selection

As I'm partially done with my tarp, I'm looking to my next two projects - a TQ and 3/4 UQ. I don't have the cash to do down for either, so I'm planning on doing them both as Climashield XP (the 5 oz stuff) from thruhiker.com.

I'd like to post my plan and see if anyone has any suggestions or corrections before making my order, so that it saves money and turns out well.

Currently, my plan is to use silnylon 1.1 for my top shell of my TQ and for both layers of my UQ. I'm looking at either completely uncoated nylon for the bottom of the TQ shell or something else that is breathable. I'd prefer to use all 1.1 silnylon, but my understanding is that I shouldn't.Using the right fabrics in the right place is my greatest concern.

The TQ will follow the basic dimensions of a mummy bag I currently use that fits well, minus the back area from the knees up. My footbox will be able to be opened up for hot climates/months. The UQ will have only a channel on the long sides and elastic on the two shorter sides.

Any adjustments I should make?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    You don't want to use sil for the top of your TQ. Doing it that way would trap any moisture from sweat in the quilt. You want it to breath.

Sil for the UQ will be ok if it's at least on the layer that goes against the hammock - so that moisture coming from you doesn't get trapped (but this would likely be miserable in warmer weather).

A vapor barrier (silnylon) should only be used if this is going to be a very cold weather only setup.

YMMV
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My opinions - I wouldn't use silnylon for the top quilt at all. It really needs to be able to breathe. If you use silnylon, the moisture your body emits during the night will condense INSIDE the quilt after passing through the layers and getting to the silnylon. It needs to be able to pass all the way through.

For the underquilt, the outer shell should also be breathable for the same reason. 1.1 with a DWR treatment would be fine. The inner cover could be silnylon, but it might end up feeling clammy because your body moisture will not be able to move away from your body like it would with breathable materials.

Personally, I would just use 1.1 ripstop for both layer on both quilts.

Jerry

Edit - what speedy Scott said!
    Last edited by JerryW; 02-22-2010 at 17:35. Reason: type too slow
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    If you can splurge on Momentum for the outer shells, you'd be a lot happier, IMO.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    What Scott and Jerry said about fabrics, but I will also add that I would recommend to add channels to the ends for shock cord rather than the elastic. With shock cord and cord locks you can adjust the tension on the ends rather than having a set tension. In warm weather you will want to be able to open the ends and vent and at some times you may want more or slightly less tension. With elastic you have a set tension rather than being able to fiddle with it to meet conditions. But YMMV Good luck on your project.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Since I shouldn't go with silnylon, should I go with ripstop nylon that is coated or not coated?

the only reason I was planning on not doing the channels on the short ends is I can envision the how because of the long channel.

How many layers of the 5oz climashield should I use for a full season TQ an UQ? I don't want to wear a lot of clothes in the hammock for early spring and late fall.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutEhCuss View Post
    As I'm partially done with my tarp, I'm looking to my next two projects - a TQ and 3/4 UQ. I don't have the cash to do down for either, so I'm planning on doing them both as Climashield
    Have you looked at this company for the down??? This down is in the range of 700-750. I've ordered from them and the down is pretty good, not in the class of the 850-900 down but it's also not in their price range either. You have to use a bit more down to acheive the same temp ratings but again, it's much cheaper. I called them and asked for their highest rated down that they sell. I've now made my winter under quilt, my winter over quilt and my summer over quilt. I also keep experimenting with what kind of outer material works for me with these quilts. My quilts are made with DWR ripstop nylon top and bottom. Except for my winter one which has reg down proof ripstop (non coated) on the inside (side next to my hammock). I've found that I can't stand the ripstop material next to me on my upper quilts and added a layer of silk there. It's like sleeping with silk sheets while in my hammock. Plus the silk adds a bit of insulation.

Here's a link for that down company "Feathertex"

http://www.feathertex.com/bulk_feather_pricing.htm

My summer under quilt is made from climashield and I'm finding that it works really well. It's fairly light weight too. I made a winter one from climashield but didn't like the weight and it didn't pack small enough for me.

Good luck on your quilts....
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    Have you looked at this company for the down??? This down is in the range of 700-750. I've ordered from them and the down is pretty good, not in the class of the 850-900 down but it's also not in their price range either. You have to use a bit more down to acheive the same temp ratings but again, it's much cheaper. I called them and asked for their highest rated down that they sell. I've now made my winter under quilt, my winter over quilt and my summer over quilt. I also keep experimenting with what kind of outer material works for me with these quilts. My quilts are made with DWR ripstop nylon top and bottom. Except for my winter one which has reg down proof ripstop (non coated) on the inside (side next to my hammock). I've found that I can't stand the ripstop material next to me on my upper quilts and added a layer of silk there. It's like sleeping with silk sheets while in my hammock. Plus the silk adds a bit of insulation.

Here's a link for that down company "Feathertex"

http://www.feathertex.com/bulk_feather_pricing.htm

My summer under quilt is made from climashield and I'm finding that it works really well. It's fairly light weight too. I made a winter one from climashield but didn't like the weight and it didn't pack small enough for me.

Good luck on your quilts....
    TinaLouise
    Great idea on the silk. I love silk next to my skin. When I get around to making a TQ, I am going to consider that.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I still need an answer as to the layers of 5 oz. climashield and if the ripstop should be coated or not.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could use DWR coated fabric, or not. It could be helpful to have the outside layer of the underquilt DWR since it's close to the wet ground and possible splashes. None of the layers really HAVE to be DWR though.

My UQ with one layer of 5oz. Climashield is good for me down to about upper 30's. Many others are good to a lower temp with the same. Here's a recent thread about Climashield and temps.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast