WB Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat Tangle
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Catastrophic failure

I'm unclear on what happened here, based on the opening post; did the ridgeline snap, followed by the tarp? That makes sense to me. If the ridgeline held up, once the tarp started to tear, I'd think the strain on the ridgeline would be lessened and the line might not have snapped.

So, if in fact the ridgeline was the first point of failure, maybe (just maybe, even given this strong wind) the tarp would have held up if only the ridgeline hasn't given out... especially if it had been pitched for the wind.

I think you want your ridgeline(s) parallel with the wind, don't you? Let your windward tree block some, let the doors (if you have them) deflect the air, present a smaller area to the wind, etc... this is less easy when the wind shifts around, and when getting a good view puts your ridgeline perpendicular to the direction of the wind.

If this is the wrong line of thinking, let me know.
    Last edited by DeltaNu1142; 06-13-2018 at 13:14.
    Charlie: "They said you was hung!""
    Bart: "...and they was right."

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    COGS Hex/Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Becket
    In addition to the comments suggesting to pitch the tarp low and tight, I would also suggest (whenever possible) to select trees so that your hammock and tarp are set up perpendicular to the direction of the wind. This will not help keep drafts from entering your sleeping area, but will help ensure that the wind can't catch your tarp and turn it into a sail.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat Tangle
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ, LLG TQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    In addition to the comments suggesting to pitch the tarp low and tight, I would also suggest (whenever possible) to select trees so that your hammock and tarp are set up perpendicular to the direction of the wind.
    Yeah, this is the opposite of what I just posted, so maybe someone can put this to rest. I'm sure it's been discussed at length on here somewhere...
    Charlie: "They said you was hung!""
    Bart: "...and they was right."

And people laugh at my 420D tarp !!

Hammock
    10.5' open or Grand Trunk w/bug net
    Tarp
    12' Hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ- Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    UCR's/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    In addition to the comments suggesting to pitch the tarp low and tight, I would also suggest (whenever possible) to select trees so that your hammock and tarp are set up perpendicular to the direction of the wind. This will not help keep drafts from entering your sleeping area, but will help ensure that the wind can't catch your tarp and turn it into a sail.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Yeah, this is the opposite of what I just posted, so maybe someone can put this to rest. I'm sure it's been discussed at length on here somewhere...

I think you two are saying the same thing. believe rweb82 just used the wrong word. He describes parallel to the wind, also. Although I will say that parallel to the wind has a higher chance of turning the tarp into a sail because the wind will never truly be parallel and will catch the inside surface.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    COGS Hex/Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    UHMWPE/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I think you two are saying the same thing. believe rweb82 just used the wrong word. He describes parallel to the wind, also. Although I will say that parallel to the wind has a higher chance of turning the tarp into a sail because the wind will never truly be parallel and will catch the inside surface.
    If you re-read my post, I used the word perpendicular, not parallel. I did make a grammatical error, however. I meant to say "this will not ONLY help..." But I accidentally omitted the word "only."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I run a zing-it continuous ridgeline and then use some Atwood micro-cord for my guy lines and to connect the tarp to the ridgeline. I've had several occasions with wild children running through my campsite. Each time a guyline snapped instead of tearing the tarp. I consider this now to be a "fuse" in my system.

My SuperFly and I were caught in what I'm assuming was a "microburst" last year. On this occasion the short section of cord running from the ridgeline to the end of the tarp ridgeline snapped at almost the same instant as one of the guylines. I use the aluminum Y stakes and I'm sure this put a lot of stress on the cord (only rated for about 100lbs). The cord also broke where it was tied at the metal split ring on the tarp ridgeline. I think small cord just doesn't like the sharp bends created by hardware. Burr or no burr the hardware creates a very tight radius bend.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, econ 10
    Suspension
    Spider beetle buck
    The load on the line was increased significantly by porch mode, having it in storm mode would have allowed for better dispersion of the wind. However there looks to have been a problem with the fly chafing. Was that last it?