Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guy Line Ideas

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Then at the stake end I tie a taught-line hitch. (AKA midshipman's hitch)
    Nitpick: those are different knots. The midshipman is the superior option (it has a jamming overlap in it)

@OP: keep in mind these sliding knots are all pre-tied before you leave. You shouldn't have to tie anything in the field.

A lot of folks tie in some kind of shock cord component for self-tensioning lines that you just pull out and loop around the stake. No adjustments necessary. I use 1/8" shockcord loops ("rubber bands") tied to the tarp, then regular guyline tied to the rubber band. It deploys fast and is also adjustable to switch from storm mode, a-frame mode, and porch mode.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree midshipman is a wee bit different and a wee bit easier... also when it is tied all the wraps go in the same direction.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Simplest method is shown in this video at about 4:30 https://youtu.be/UHuUmNOwBAw That really is still you need to do. Splice a fixed loop to attach to the tarp, back splice the end, attach to your stake. Done, simple and no knots!!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Jeff, I like it at the tarp end for a few reasons... I use Lawson Ti shepherd hooks and like to drive them into the ground so that the hook part is almost completely buried in the soil or duff, which keeps the stake from rotating around in strong wind. This means that there would be some friction/wear if the cord were pulled through when adjusting. Another reason is that I experience fewer tangles because there are no loops down there to catch. This also dovetails with my method for quickly taking down and stowing the tarp with no tangles. Minor pluses: It's also a bit easier to reach for adjustment, and keeps the knots a bit farther away from mud, etc.

As usual, I offer this as my take on things and what works for me.
    Thank you. was interested.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Nitpick: those are different knots. The midshipman is the superior option (it has a jamming overlap in it)

@OP: keep in mind these sliding knots are all pre-tied before you leave. You shouldn't have to tie anything in the field.

A lot of folks tie in some kind of shock cord component for self-tensioning lines that you just pull out and loop around the stake. No adjustments necessary. I use 1/8" shockcord loops ("rubber bands") tied to the tarp, then regular guyline tied to the rubber band. It deploys fast and is also adjustable to switch from storm mode, a-frame mode, and porch mode.
    Just went by Animated knots. They called it the same thing. I do see their second loop is different.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    I used to use tautline, but switched to Farrimond because
    1. It's easier to tie if your "free" end is a big wad or long length of line, and
    2. It's super easy to untie - just pull on the free end (you can put a stick in the loop and pull it so it captures the stick to prevent accidentally pulling it through. I do this with the Siberian hitch too.)

Any way, hike your own hike, hang your own hang, tie your own knot (HYOH, HYOH, TYOK)! If you want to walk on the wild side, give the Farrimond a try! :-)

mathineer
    Certainly: HYOH, HYOH, TYOK... The reason I like the taught-line is once it only needs tied once and done. The lines on my canvas tarp were tied in the 1980's and still work just fine today. I just hang the tarp. Put the stake in the loop of the taughtline and put it in the ground. Done. When done I just pull the stake, wipe off the dirt and fold the tarp. The lines are folded and laid on the tarp in its last fold prior to putting the tarp in the storage bag.

fun topic though
    and still

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Just went by Animated knots. They called it the same thing. I do see their second loop is different.
    Aha. What they show at the top is in fact the Midshipman's (ABOK #1855). The Tautline (#1856) is still taught (pun) in Boy Scouts apparently.

The difference is that the Tautline takes the first two turns spiralled around the standing line. With the Midshipman's, however, the second turn is back over the first one, creating a bit of a cinching action which makes it much more secure. Midshipman knots hold when many Tautlines slip. For the same amount of work, of course i want the more secure version!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I did use no-hardware guy lines for several years. Mine had soft shackle prusiks that attached to the tarp tie-outs. It's fairly easy to adjust the guy line length with the prusik, and they have held pretty well for me (in contrast to prusiks on the tarp ridgeline - those clearly weren't up for the job). However, when the cord gets wet, you sometimes need a bit of patience to losen the prusiks. I only switched to Dutch Hookworms because they are even simpler to use, have a predetermined breaking point (the shock cord), and can be taken off easily.

Images
    Choice A: use hardware. Choice B: tie knots (or alternatively, splice). Choice C: there is no choice C. I chose B.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I tried to like hardware but just can't force myself to use it when there's a knot that can do the same job as well as or better, with nothing to buy, nothing to lose and zero weight.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Another no hardware approach. Mini-ucr's. Use your favorite loop at the stake.

I don't recommend the use of reflective cord for this though. Though I haven't had any trouble with it, the metalic thread feels like it will eventually wear on the cord.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast