Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    what about something simple liking putting dead sticks between the huggers,ropes and the tree?

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsawyer222 View Post
    what about something simple liking putting dead sticks between the huggers,ropes and the tree?
    That works well and is a no-impact option if you have to use rope without a treehugger. It adds a minute or so to setup time though. Not a big deal, but not something I do as a habit.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    I suspect there are folks in this group that could calculate the forces that are distributed on the tree given a particular weight of hanger and the angle of the support line. (Grizz? TeeDeeZ? Frawg? others I've forgotten). The variables of tree diameter and webbing thickness would obviously have to be designated, too. Back in my engineering days (30 years ago) I might have attempted this but, alas, it has been a long time. Maybe we could figure a way to measure it empirically using pressure sensors. Likely the force will vary along the length of the webbing. I will have to think...
    Brian might be a good one to ask too. He's a busy student, but he has the resources of a university engineering department at his disposal.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    Harpo63, you make a good point. I've noticed that in established campgrounds, it can be a little challenging at times to find two trees appropriately spaced. So it might not be a bad idea to begin asking for poles to be installed. Perhaps even offer to do it ourselves, thus saving the rangers from having to worry about the cost of installing them and requesting funds, etc.
    True, my last camping trip site was basically designed for tents or pop ups. Trees surrounding the grassy area had neck high bush surrounding most of the trees that could be used for hanging.

With the current state of campgrounds suffering economic cutbacks, we would have to provide the material and labor in installing appropriate posts- if they even allow us to do so! Maybe a good place to start this trend is at private campgrounds where the owners might be willing- especially if we convert them to hammock campers!

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    i dont do it either but it is an option for those more sympathetic to the trees

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Would carving one's initials in a tree trunk--purposely leaving one's mark--be much different than damage done by hammock straps, if the hammocker figured it was his(her) right to leave such trace?

Hammock
    Custom dragon
    Tarp
    Custom made cuben
    Insulation
    custom peapod
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    Would carving one's initials in a tree trunk--purposely leaving one's mark--be much different than damage done by hammock straps, if the hammocker figured it was his(her) right to leave such trace?
    well you would be going out of your way to leave a trace but i doubt carving your intials will hurt the tree at all I have seen trees that have been covered in carving and they keep going but i still think it would be frowned upon regaurdless of the real impact.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    One of my favorite campsites on the Manistee river is hard to find and see except some idiot defaced one of the trees on the bank cutting out a huge section of bark and then carving his name in the wood for all to see and identify as a potential site. Now he may have considered it his "right" however; from my perspective, he was defacing something sacred. Lots of awful things have been done because people thought it was their right to do so, and I believe this to be yet another example.

So please, do not view defacing or damaging trees as a right, especially in areas where they are protected and are part of the public domain for all to enjoy. Tyler (the name left on the tree) viewed it as his right to deface the tree and proclaim his name for all to see. Because the tree had already been cut into, I cut into it further and removed "Tyler" in an effort to discourage others who may want to up Tyler's effort. If people find it clean and pristine, they are more likely to leave it that way. If they find it defaced and destroyed, they are more likely to continue to destroy it.
    “Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.”
    ― Alan W. Watts

http://www.riverjourneys.org

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    It is interesting to me that the proper way to paint a blaze on a tree with deep furrowed bark is to use a drawknife and scrape some of the bark away to create a level surface for painting. My understanding was that this isn't the worst thing in the world because it's in one small area and it's not girdling the tree (essentially strangling the living layers of wood all the way around the circumference of the tree).

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    Sailor was, I believe, asking a rhetorical and lightly sarcastic question. He was not suggesting that anyone deface trees, whether with knife or rope.
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck