Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

joann fabrics ripstop

i picked up some ripstop nylon at joann fabrics earlier (along with a bunch of webbing and stuff from a climbing store next door) i got 7.3 yards for 4.00$ a yard with a coupon, its rather stiff its nothing like my ENO hammock is..

when i got home i cut a 6 inch square and rubber banded it over the lip of a clear glass dished out the cloth into the glass and filled it with water.. 3 hours later the glass is still water free.. could i have gotten silnylon instead of regular nylon? if so i need to go get the rest of the bolt lol.... input appreciated
    thanks
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Hex/Grizz Beak
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Probably not silnylon from JoAnn's. Try rubbing your finger on the fabric and see if it wets through. It might just take a little more pressure to make it leak. You could try bundling up the end of your fabric and putting a gallon or so in it.

Jerry
    The "Search" function is your friend!

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Mike, I've only ever been in 2 different Joann's stores but neither had silnylon. Both had 2 weights of ripstop nylon. I think the heavier one (sport they called it) may have had a DWR treatment as it repeals water but I wouldn't trust it for a tarp. The details they provide for their fabric is slim to none. You store may carry something else however.

stumo

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY Diamond
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopie
    Images
    Sorry. That little trick is due to surface tension of the water.

The fabric will make you good stuff though.

Jbo

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Try pouring a gallon of water into a bunched up section of it (maybe in the tub?). That will tell you if you got silnylon. Even if it's leaky silnylon, it will only allow drops through here and there -

If it's coated with DWR (durable water repellent) then it will leak, if sort of slowly.

If it's got nothing, it'll run right through.

Suspending a cup of water in a tiny bit of fabric doesn't produce enough force to give an adequate test. Trust me... I bought a whole bolt a long while back (when I was learning about fabric myself) of what I thought was sil... it was not.

No matter what it is - it'll be good for something!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

actually my joanns had an endcap devoted to the stuff several very bright colors! and they knew what i was asking about lol..

so i ran my finger around the bottom of the water then removed the rubber bandand rand my finger around the bottom of the cup created by the material, and pulled out a dry finger. then i made the cup deeper and put in about a quarter cup of water and am watching it intently still no water in the glass

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikek View Post
    actually my joanns had an endcap devoted to the stuff several very bright colors! and they knew what i was asking about lol..

so i ran my finger around the bottom of the water then removed the rubber bandand rand my finger around the bottom of the cup created by the material, and pulled out a dry finger. then i made the cup deeper and put in about a quarter cup of water and am watching it intently still no water in the glass
    See if you can suck air through it. If not, it's likely sil. If you can with force, it's proably a good DWR finish on the fabric.

I have bought DWR ripstop that I could put water into and it would not leak until I added a little pressure. I made pocket of fabric in my hand an put water in it. No leaks, I then slowly squeezed my hand and it would start dripping a little.

Once you identify silnylon, it's easy to spot. It's slick as eel-sh*t on both sides and you can't suck or blow air through it.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I got that ripstop from JoAnne's and I am pretty sure it is DWR 1.9 oz. I made a tarp out of it and sprayed with a can of silicone waterproofing that purchased at Menards in the fall when it was on sale and it has worked great. Heavy for backpacking but a great 10x12 tarp for canoeing in winter and fall. Been through torrential rain with it and nary a leak.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I have also purchased the rip stop at Joann and I am also quite sure that it is a DRW coating. The material also frays after it has been cut and will need to be fussed to prevent it from continueing during the sewing process.

The one that is labeled Sport is not coated at all I tested it and water ran through it like a strainer, and you can blow through it without any resistance. I bought some of the sport for a project until I tested it, as explained previously. It ended up making nice sleeping bag/ UQ storage sacks.
    Last edited by BOB1520; 02-24-2010 at 13:44.

ok next morning results...
    tried blowing through the cloth... near impossible and still not sure air was not blowing around the swatch of cloth and not through it.

water in glass soaked into the cloth and instead of going into the glass seaped around the outside of the lip and ran down the glass

canoebie where do you find the spray silicon sealer at menards i would like to look into this. and im not terribly worried about weight right now as im pretty much limited to car camping...

i will definitly have to go back and pick up the rest of the spool of this to make doors and some other stuff i wanted to make that was at least water resistant

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast