Hammock
    Eldorado SL 1.6 D-T
    Tarp
    Cuben W/doors
    Insulation
    20 Enigma/20 Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Hang it from a Dogbone wrapped around a tree.

Works great for when I need something I don't have to bend over.

Haven't had the misfortune of a wet camp yet, but I'm liking the packcover under the hammock plan.

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    I hang mine from the ridgeline or lay it underneath. My nephew had his laying underneath too, but forgot to take a granola bar out of it and I heard him yelling at something at 1 a.m., whatever it was, it dragged his pack a couple feet! He won't do that again and I make sure I stay a little ways away from him now.

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Most of the time I just lay my pack on the ground underneath my hammock. If there's a rainy frog-strangler storm where my pack could potentially wash away, or if there are critters about, I'll use a carabiner to clip the pack on the foot end of the ridgeline, on the opposite side of where my feet are. I don't even notice it's there.

There's nothing in my pack to make critters interested, but I've learned it all depends on where you are on how critters act. Critters don't show the slightest interest in my pack when I camp in the Pine Barrens. However, in the Adirondacks, squirrels and chipmunks will chew on your pack just for giggles - that's what they do. If I'm in a place I've never been, I'll hang the pack on the ridgeline.
    This. My pack is generally empty or nearly empty after camp is set up and my bear bag is hung. So if it's going to be dry I'll set it on the ground under me with the dog. If it's likely rain upside down, I'll hang my pack from my ridgeline to keep it "safe" from all the woozles in the woods. Sometimes when it's windy and warm and we didnt bring the dogs pad (because its windy and warm) the dog sleeps ON MY pack. He's weird.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    Lol! Almost thought my brother was on here. He goes by Bill sometimes on the interwebs. Our last name involves goats
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    This. My pack is generally empty or nearly empty after camp is set up and my bear bag is hung. So if it's going to be dry I'll set it on the ground under me with the dog. If it's likely rain upside down, I'll hang my pack from my ridgeline to keep it "safe" from all the woozles in the woods. Sometimes when it's windy and warm and we didnt bring the dogs pad (because its windy and warm) the dog sleeps ON MY pack. He's weird.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I use a line and carabiner to hang the pack from a near by tree. This keep all my gear clean and off the ground. The pack cover protects every thing from the weather if needed.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    When critters chew the pack for no apparent reason, it's usually for the salt.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

For me, it all depends on the weather and site conditions and feeling comfortable of where things are overnight. Remember, there's no right or wrong, so HYOH and find what works best for your style of camping.

Here's how I handle it:
    1. If I know it's going to be dry, I'll put my pack in my gear cover and use my Big Carl pack hanger on a tree.
    2. Put my pack on a small piece of plastic under my tarp.
    3. hang it from the hammock suspension
    4. (my preferred) balance it on my folding camp stool under my tarp and close by.

Here's some links to other threads that may be of help:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...9-Gear-Storage
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...c-when-hanging
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...en-backpacking
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Gear-Keep-Dry

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    MIDave is correct; HYOH. The reason I have never gravitated toward "welcome mats" and ground cloths under my hammock -- always opting for an elevated solution like a gear hammock or suspending my pack from the hammock ridge line under the tarp -- is that it rains here a lot, especially during the colder months of the year. If the ground isn't already mud (or standing water) under my hammock, it may be after a hard overnight rain, even if everything looked high and dry when I pitched camp. I would need to pack a bathtub ground sheet if I wanted to be certain something laid on the ground did not get wet. Gear hammocks in the 3 to 8 ounce range with suspension are safe, secure, and relatively simple, so that is what works well for me. Even my biggest conventional gear hammock fits freely between my underquilt and the ground directly inline and under my hammock, and I can reach it from inside my hammock to stow or retrieve items during the night.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 06-21-2018 at 11:03.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    For sure HYOH. I like all the different ways people stash their gear.
    My thoughts were: I've only done tent camping where you can keep your gear in the tent, or I have a backpacking tent where the rainfly extends beyond the tent to make a small 'porch' area for keeping gear. Since hammocks don't really have anything like that, I've been puzzling over where to keep gear. I really like all the suggestions and different ways people stash their gear.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast