Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kardinal_emilus View Post
    this is not fabric failure, looks really like damaged with something you dont realize for now
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I agree, after looking at the pictures I looks more like a failure from something being pressed into the fabric. Especially after looking at the third picture where it looks like you have a pair of two nearly identical holes, like it was folded on itself and something pressed thru 2 layers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohoopee View Post
    Do all holes have the protuberance in the same direction? 3 of them look like maybe pebbles
    or something you were laying on pushed through?
    Quote Originally Posted by ylnfrt View Post
    You may want to do a through inspecttion , looking especially for a small thorn or the random cockelbur that can get caught on grosgrain webbing and some cordages. These really look like a puncture more so than a fabric failure. Check the stuff sack, bishop bag, snake skin also.
    Quote Originally Posted by dscotthep View Post
    Do you have a dog (or maybe a cat) who has walked over the tarp at home and left holes in it?
    It's a pretty obvious consensus now that there's nothing wrong with the fabric itself, but that something unknown has damaged it. I've turned the stuff sack inside out to see if there was something small and sharp like a pebble in there, but found nothing. While we do have a cat, I've never had the tarp in a room where the cat has access, so that's probably out unless he's Houdini (which I'll leave open for now).

This is actually something of a relief and eases my mind some because it means once I dab on some silicone, I should be okay for the future. I may never nail down what I got into, but everybody agrees this is puncture type damage, so if I'm careful and attentive from here on out, I should be okay. My best guess is this happened in my own back yard a couple of weeks ago when I hung the tarp up prior to a good thunderstorm to test for rain worthiness. I didn't notice holes afterwards when I packed it up, but did see them the next time I deployed it. Either it got hit with something during the rain or I did something to it in putting it up after the rain and didn't see the damage until next time.

Thanks for thought-starters, guys.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Maybe embers from a nearby campfire landed on it while deployed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by supercliff View Post
    Maybe embers from a nearby campfire landed on it while deployed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The holes show no melted edges, so that's doubtful. I'm thinking something very small and sharp got caught up in the stuff sack and shaken out later so I never saw it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12